Whats your Favorite scale

Vital Remains said:
Anyone into the insane 3 note per string penatonics? not the chromatic type ones, the ones with the big stretches. i use them alot.
I like to do big stretches, I have fairly large hands, I can easily reach from the 5th to 12th frets and from 12 anywhere above.

I don't think I can say I have a favorite scale due to reasons of similarity of notes. When you look at the seven major/minor modes they are all different degrees of the Major Scale and share the same pool of notes. Each mode sounds different because of the arrangement of the intervals, etc., but they all produce the same melodic sound once you are involved in phrases with in a certain key etc. I also use alot of Harmonic/Melodic Minor scales, Pentatonic (who doesnt start off using that), Alot of different Altered Modes to give me different Jazz scales/modes, blues scales, and the Whole tone scale. I rarely use other exotic scales since they are often just modified versions of the modes, leaving out/adding more notes.

my fav: are harmonic/melodic minor.
and...i would like to know which scales use in Black Metal and Death Metal ?
coz i didn't catch them yet...

hm, I think blackmetal uses the standard minor-scales alot

in deathmetal it depends on which kind of deathmetal. the melodic-death bands often use those "standard" minor-scales, but quite a few deathmetal bands dont really care about scales, or switch between scales within songs

Hexer said:
hm, I think blackmetal uses the standard minor-scales alot

in deathmetal it depends on which kind of deathmetal. the melodic-death bands often use those "standard" minor-scales, but quite a few deathmetal bands dont really care about scales, or switch between scales within songs

thanks for ur msg... :)
i also think some death metal dunt care abt scales.

Zygote said:
i try to stay away from scales i feel it takes away originality

because there has been no originallity in cenutires of music until the impressionistic/atonal era of the early 20th century came in. haha, what a stupid comment.