Guitar signal suddenly sounds weak, and degraded.

Downtuned

Losethehorizonagain
Mar 25, 2011
UK
Hi folks, I've run into some guitar signal issues and wondering if anyone here could help.

I usually get some awesome tones out my amp sims, but today I fired up my computer and when I started playing I notice that the tones weren't quite there any more. They sounded flat, under gained and now had some noticeably digital spiky elements in them. The weird thing is that the VU meter on the input channel is still saying it's a very strong signal (almost at 0dB).

I've replaced leads, tried different guitars, checked input gains and looked to see if I've maybe hit a pad somewhere, plus all sorts of other stuff that just haven't turned up any solutions. I'm starting to get worried because I have a guy coming round next week who I've been sort of bragging about my tones too, and due to that he's maybe interested in paying me to record him, but I can't let him hear this. Usually my tones are rich, creamy and have a full bodied mid range with no digital fizz, plus it only takes a light touch to get a strong note, but now I'm having to jam down on the strings a bit with the pick, otherwise it sounds almost like a crunch instead of a full distortion.

In fact, it sounds quite similar as when I used to just plug my lead right into the Instrument input of my Projectmix I/O. Same spikey digital elements and a tone which isn't quite there, but that changed when I started using active DI box.

It almost sounds like the DI box isn't balancing the signal anymore, but that's just a guess as I'm not even sure if that's possible and still get a signal. There's so many stages that my signal goes through I just have no clue as to where to start looking, becasue I can't afford to buy second versions of everything just to compare.

Gear chain is below -

Schecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan Custom Custom Passive Pickup -> Palmer 02 Active DI Box -> Behringer ADA 8000 preamp -ADAT> M-Audio Projectmix I/O -FW> WIn 7 PC (64 Bit) with Cubase 5 -> TSE 808 2.0 ->TSE X50B3 ->KeFir Impulse Loader with "ThisOne" IR -> SIR 2 (living room setting) -> JB Ferrox Tape Saturation.

After that it's just usual high/low pass filters and some notches at the usual culprit frequencies.

Thanks.

Was going to say possible dead battery but I see you’ve got passives, so nevermind.

I wish I could help. You’ve checked all cables? Is there anything digitally that you maybe adjusted? (i.e. post/pre fader setting on tracks that have the sims)?

Was going to say possible dead battery but I see you’ve got passives, so nevermind.

I wish I could help. You’ve checked all cables? Is there anything digitally that you maybe adjusted? (i.e. post/pre fader setting on tracks that have the sims)?

Yeah dude, replaced the jack and XLR cables, tried different ports on the Behringer and checked the software thoroughly. It does actually sound like how an active pickup whose battery is dying might, but it is indeed a passive pickup.

The only thing I can do now is buy more ADAT and firewire cables and hire another audio interface for a day to do comparison. I'm also getting my guitar checked out today just in case the pickup or jack in that has suddenly gone faulty, but I'm suspecting my main interface may the problem, in which case I'm in trouble!

Thanks for the reply anyway, it's appreciated!

newamerikangospel,

Phantom power mate, coming from the ADA 8000.

I was recording another mob the night before all this happened, and the singer tripped over a cable which ended up with the DI box on the floor, but it wasn't anything harsh (it's a sturdy design). I suspected there was a small chance the box may have been damaged, but I really can't see it.