Guitar solos, Theory

cheerios.gif

Because he plays from scale forms, uses the modes of major/minor scale, they harmonize (usually in minor thirds), They use exotic modes, classical chord progressions, Exotic modes such as Harmonic Minor. Their songs conform usually to the Minor key and they utilize key/tempo changes within their songs. They use modulation some times.
They use Inverted Fifth chords as well as Minor Thirds and augmented 5ths.
I have noticed lately alexi's ue of Chromatics to sound more "american".
But he used chromatics in the early days such as Black Widow.

Happy?

-Gavin- said:
Because he plays from scale forms, uses the modes of major/minor scale, they harmonize (usually in minor thirds), They use exotic modes, classical chord progressions, Exotic modes such as Harmonic Minor. Their songs conform usually to the Minor key and they utilize key/tempo changes within their songs. They use modulation some times.
They use Inverted Fifth chords as well as Minor Thirds and augmented 5ths.
I have noticed lately alexi's ue of Chromatics to sound more "american".
But he used chromatics in the early days such as Black Widow.

Happy?

I beg to differ, Why would harmonic minor be an exotic mode? Harmonic minor is a scale (and a pretty common one, not exotic by any chance) it's not a mode, harmonic minor has it's own 7 modes, used in jazz a lot. An exotic scale as far as I know is a scale outside The Major, Harmonic minor and melodic minor scale, and all it's relative modes to them (7 per scale). Plus I add all the pretty common scales that we use to, like pentatonic for example.

Try playing the Arabia scale which would be something like 1, 2, 3, 4, b5, b6, b7 in the key of G that would be....G A B C Db Eb F G.

If you really want to get into exotic scales, but do not want to listen to eastern music (which is where those scales come from mainly) then listen to this guy's playing.

friedman_02_cover.jpg

Wings of a dream said:
I beg to differ, Why would harmonic minor be an exotic mode? Harmonic minor is a scale (and a pretty common one, not exotic by any chance) it's not a mode, harmonic minor has it's own 7 modes, used in jazz a lot. An exotic scale as far as I know is a scale outside The Major, Harmonic minor and melodic minor scale, and all it's relative modes to them (7 per scale).

You're right man!
The harmonic minor is a scale, it's the minor scale with the 7th degree sharpened.

anyone can understand Gavin's view, it is a SHIT question to begin with, and almost a slap in the face of alexi i might ad. Who doesnt use theory to solo? Dude there is no other way. Even if you think your not using it you are in fact using it :D