Guitar solos, Theory

gkelter said:
Try telling that to that fuckbag Kerry King.

what you sayin foo????

kerry king gotz tha mad skillz with that whammy bar of his!!!

he owns all the so called virtuosos like yngwie and shit!!!

*slaps self in face*

no........he is a fuckbag

But trvly kvlt, I must say....I love slayer and the random noise just blows my top off.
I gotta get me a REAL metal axe with a whammy bar....

DeathPact said:
anyone can understand Gavin's view, it is a SHIT question to begin with, and almost a slap in the face of alexi i might ad. Who doesnt use theory to solo? Dude there is no other way. Even if you think your not using it you are in fact using it :D

There's players that play just by ear and do not know any theory, Ie. Slash. He says he knows all the notes on the guitar, but doesn't really know how to apply theory when improvising as much as other players do ie. Joe Satriani

yea ok my statement isnt 100% correct. If you play something that sounds "nice" chances are that there is theory written on it :)so learning it will make your life so much easier.
MMMmmm then again I dont think there is any theory on Alexi's use of the whammy bar, i might be mistaken anyway theres a good major for you music students :p

Im kinda still feeling that everything on the guitar is there because of theory, the way u use it is up to you but the roots is still theory so there is noway around it :D you use it or your just fucking not making any sense/music.

bleh thats just my opinion, i know you can argue on it so plz do just dont take it personal or aggresive

mmmm theory cant be the root of music though (per definition) :( so there goes my argument

DeathPact said:
yea ok my statement isnt 100% correct. If you play something that sounds "nice" chances are that there is theory written on it :)so learning it will make your life so much easier.
MMMmmm then again I dont think there is any theory on Alexi's use of the whammy bar, i might be mistaken anyway theres a good major for you music students :p

Im kinda still feeling that everything on the guitar is there because of theory, the way u use it is up to you but the roots is still theory so there is noway around it :D you use it or your just fucking not making any sense/music.

bleh thats just my opinion, i know you can argue on it so plz do just dont take it personal or aggresive

mmmm theory cant be the root of music though (per definition) :( so there goes my argument

Yeah there's theory in the whammy bar too, he lowers or raises the pitch to reach a desired note that he is looking for, and of course there's the added decoration to it like playing a trill (Going back and forth betwen notes really fast) and all that.

I don't know jack about theory. I'm reading what gavin and you guys said and I don't understand a word... Where can I learn ? :erk:

I learned my guitar theory (Modes, scales, fingerings etc) from books and my classical theory from advanced music class at school. (composition, styles/forms etc)

unfortunately I dont have a teacher :erk: but I'm doing great without one.. I guess I just need to read more stuff from the internet, books and such. Thanks :Spin:

There is just so much to learn. I belong to a place called guitaralliance.com its a nice place for learning your guitar theory thats important to guitar players.But I mean there is just so much scales and modes and what not :\ its gona take a while to learn.

Try and write your own song, pretty soon you will discover that without theory its realy realy hard. especially getting the lead and rhythm to work together. But Once you learned some music theory its realy simple to start and from there on you can work to more difficult stuff.

Lake_Laiho said:
I don't know jack about theory. I'm reading what gavin and you guys said and I don't understand a word... Where can I learn ? :erk:

I learned Music Theory from a class in High School, plus some at the National Guitar Workshop 2002. I think that if you're gonna start your harmony & Theory studies, then a teacher is a must. It doesn't have to be a guitar teacher, just a Music Theory teacher. Learning Music Theory by yourself is a really hard task, I remember trying to figure out what the circle of fifths was by myself and having a hard time, then I had a teacher explain it to me, and it all made sense.

Think about it, all the guitar virtuosos that have proclaimed to be self taught, might have actually been self taught in guitar but not in their Music Theory studies, Ie. Rusty Cooley.

So, start with a teacher, go on for about 6months-1year with lessons, more if you can, and then continue your studies by yourself if you want, but I wouldn't recommend studying theory from 0 by yourself.

I was over at my other guitarists house and he had one of those "Music theory for dummies" or some shit like that book. I might look to pick that book up somewhere.

Wings of a dream said:
I learned Music Theory from a class in High School, plus some at the National Guitar Workshop 2002. I think that if you're gonna start your harmony & Theory studies, then a teacher is a must. It doesn't have to be a guitar teacher, just a Music Theory teacher. Learning Music Theory by yourself is a really hard task, I remember trying to figure out what the circle of fifths was by myself and having a hard time, then I had a teacher explain it to me, and it all made sense.

Think about it, all the guitar virtuosos that have proclaimed to be self taught, might have actually been self taught in guitar but not in their Music Theory studies, Ie. Rusty Cooley.

So, start with a teacher, go on for about 6months-1year with lessons, more if you can, and then continue your studies by yourself if you want, but I wouldn't recommend studying theory from 0 by yourself.
Well I don't know, music theory or guitar teachers hardly exist here. And I have come this far on my own. I know it will be hard and all, but I think I'm gonna continue on my own.. thanks anyway :)

Fuck lessons and fuck theory. It'll only get you stuck on the same patterns. When you're self taught, you have the ability to make up your own scales and develop your ear for music.

lol @ gkelter, self taught doesnt mean you dont know music theory. It means that you basically did not have anybody teach you, and that you teached yourself from books or whatever. your self taught is kinda messed up and wont get you anywhere unless you cheat :D.

I've never had a teacher for my playing or "Guitar theory" but i did get a teacher for my "classical theory" and that helped more than some teacher could ever help.
The way i see it:

Classical theory inspires ideas
"Guitar Theory" allows me to carry those ideas out.

And by classical theory, i don't mean sounding like yngwie. I mean forms, cadences, harmonies etc.