Guitar sound (Sansamp PSA-1.1 etc...)?

BRC

New Metal Member
Oct 6, 2008
Turku, Finland
www.myspace.com
Hi, been lurking here and thought to register as I might have some questions sometimes... :)

I have had my current guitar gear for a good while already, but haven't really found that great sound I'm looking for. At least I've never managed to capture one by micing...

Preamp is PSA-1.1, power amp VHT 2902, G-major, krank revolution cab and esp horizon-II with emg-85 on bridge. Been testing with a 81 on bridge as well, not sure which one is better. I doubt the other gear couldn't get me the sound I want, but I'm not sure about the Krank cab. I hope to get along with it as I wouldn't want to buy a new cab.

The guitar tends to be a bit on the bright and middy side. But maybe it's just that I don't know how to tweak the PSA, as it is pretty weird thing to dial. Not sure what kind of setting would be good for power amp either. Mostly had the presence and depth at 1 o'clock. There's a bass/treble boost button also, but I stopped using it because I thought it added some nasty high frequencies. Could've been because of PSA setting as well though.

Anyway, it would be nice if someone could give any advice how to get a decent metal sound from my gear. Maybe even some presets they like with the Sansamp.

The only thing I can say is that I prefer the EMG-85 to the 81. More balls, fuller, and a bit more pleasant sounding IMO. All the other gear I've never even touched.

I have had PSA-1.1 set up in a recording situation several times. Direct and thru a poweramp and a cab. Never had a good result. It was half decent when combined to 5150 (quad). It sounds quite lifeless to me.

Ja tervetuloa! =)

Jaha, suomalaisiahan täällä enimmäkseen on :p

Sounds like I might be better to get something else in psa's place. It would be the easiest to get just some other preamp for my rack as I have the vht 2902, but I'm really starting to consider switching to some hi-gain amp head. How about Engl Blackmore, any opinions? Seems interesting from what I've heard. But I don't want to buy wrong gear second time... :lol:

Doesn't sound bad at all, a bit lifeless though. But I really wish to use miced amp.
I could maybe quad track with using sansamp direct in with impulses though, and other head miced. I'm actually maybe buying the rare Engl e860. Should be pretty nice?

I borrowed a Marshall cab with g12t-75:s and it sounded completely different, a LOT better. Like having a totally different amp. I could easily dial in many nice sounds. So the only problem really is the stock Eminences in my Krank cab. No need for anything else than new elements.
As I notice people mostly prefer v30:s here, I'd wish to have a test with a v30 cab too. But the closest thing I have access to might be a cab with v30:s and some other Celestion (greenbacks?) in x pattern. The only thing I'm worried about the v30 is that if it get's even too middy with a Sansamp. I hear they're easy to record, which I'd prefer over anything else.

F**k! Sound great! 10000 times better than my recording with the sansamp. please more informaton about your settings!
Why using a Tubescreamer?

Thanks for listening it! I'm really glad you likes it!! I've already started a thread about that recording, it's here: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...s/434257-psa-1-impulse-curveeq-tone-test.html, but it's no problem for me to rewrite about it..

As I already said, I used Carvin Guitar into Gnx3000 (only for its tubescreamer) into Psa-1 and recorded directly through Lexicon Lambda soundcard. As the first time I recorded with Psa-1, I didn't try to make my own sound so I used the "Metallica" preset and changed only Preamp and Drive settings (2 and 11 o'clock). I quadtracked (100-80 L-R) and afterwards, I used CurveEq with "Mesa Dual Rectifier A1" curve in each guitar. I then used Boogex for impulses. The "100" guitars had "GuitarHack Edge Straight -20" and the "80" guitars had "GuitarHack Edge 45" impulse. Of course, I hi-low pass at 60 and 12000. The guitar bus had C4 with Andy's settings and CurveEq with "In Flames - Claynan Guitar" curve. For drums I used Addictive Drums with samples on kick and snare. Do you have anything to suggest about this recording?

As for the tubescreamer... Most people here use it before the amp because, in a few words, it tightens the sound and cleans up the high end. There's a thread here about tubescreamers and their use which contains all the information you might need. Check it here: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/346068-tube-screamer-faq-version-1-a.html

I made some sound test with different cabs. I think V30 gave me pretty nice results. How does this sound? Sorry for 160kbps mp3...

Just the guitars (sm57):
http://www.mikseri.net/player/player.php?newsession=1&type=1&parameter=351694

With drums and lame line-in bass:
http://www.mikseri.net/player/player.php?newsession=1&type=1&parameter=351693

Nevermind the drums etc. I just used something I had.
No eq on guitars except hi pass at 60 and C4 with Sneap settings.

I think I'll get those V30's for my Krank cab. The Eminence sounds hideous. G12t-75 was good too, but I think V30 was best.

BRC - It sounds good! Could you share the Psa-1 settings? I also like Vintage 30's. In what cab did you plug Psa in?

Vendo - Your guitar sound is not bad at all. You have to bring the guitars up because drums (especially the snare) are too much in front. How did you record? Through a cab or directly and used impulse?

Good to hear! Yeah it could and should be tweaked further, but it gives already the idea that I can get a satisfying sound from my gear. When I get V30's.

I used a friend's handmade Monster amps cab with V30 and Greenback in x pattern.
http://www.monsteramps.fi/site/?lan=3

Those are very stylish amps and cabs. But I had no idea where the mic was pointing at as you can't see anything through the grill cloth in that cab.

I'll see later today if I saved the settings, propably did. But I get a lot of extra tube kick from the VHT 2902 poweramp, and I use it's presence and depth. I think PSA is alright if you use a nice power amp and have a good cab.