Votes: 11 22.0%
  • I learned from other peoples submissions

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • I am eargerly waiting for the next competition

Votes: 33 66.0%

• Total voters

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
Alright, the second guitar tone competition is FINALLY over! Congratulations to our winner, Ermin ”Ermz” Hamidovic. Hope you enjoy your new plugins :) Now that the show is over, let me say a few words what I thought about the competition.

First of all many people may not know it, but getting this competition started took a lot of time and work, so I would like to thank our wonderful host, Mark ”MarkG” van der Giessen. You made a big effort to make this all happen. Then I would like to thank Gregory ”lolzgreg” Tomao for the killer tune (dude, you really need to make that into a full song!) and Daniel ”SlipkyesBass” for the awesome basstracks. Then I would like to thank our competition sponsors, Steven Slate and Alex Siegel from Yellow Matter Entertainment, for providing the extra motivation. And not to forget, all the participants and voters for making this event yet another page in Andy Sneap forum history. And everyone else I forgot who deserves credit: Thank you too.

When this competition began, there was no cake. Greg made a thread and said he liked the first competition and wanted that we would have another one and people voluntarily said that they wanted to join the guitar tone competition, and they were in big numbers. One day I just decided to take a shot in the dark and ask if Slate would like to sponsor the competition and tada, we got a sponsor. Now there was a cake.

Basically this competition was a simplified musicproduction business situation simulation. We sent a snippet to many people and the public voted who gets gets the cake in the end. Similiar thing happens a lot with architecture, reality tv shows and even in this forum, where people submit their multitracks of a song and then pick who gets to mix their full album. We had a song, a producer (greg), an engineer (me) and two guitar tracks that needed reamping. I mixed everything according to producers wishes and then we supplied the participants a set of backingtracks and the guitartracks and a short readme what to do with these files. Apparently some people had hard time getting the few minutes needed to actually read the rules (like ”submit a 24bit wav and not mp3”), but sometimes I thought maybe we should've written the rules more tighter to avoid any confusion, but then again some people didn't have the attention span to even read 2 pages of rules we already had.

Some people complained that the backingtracks weren't optimal; Lacking lower bass or whatever. Yes, the low end was just mixed a bit thin, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. It was producers choise and just another approach to mixing. Sometimes you might get work-in-progress material instead of final product and sometimes you might get material with a soundscape that you might not like. You were there just to reamp, not to mix. If you had never done this kind of stuff before, this was a good practice exercise to try to hone your skills. In my opinion it actually was good that the backingtrack was challenging, because you had to make choises. Should I try to bring up the low end and fill in the soundscape but get more muddy tone or sacrifice the low end and get a bit thinner tone? Some people made their guitar tone so loud, that the backingtracks just completely vanished. If we would've also added vocals, it would've given us yet another challenge, because you really can't just bury the vocals under the guitars.

There was generally two approaches to the submitted mixes: The submitter tried to make the guitartone sound good or the submitter tried to make the mix sound good. Eventho the contest was clearly labeled "Guitar Tone Competition 2", in my opinion too many people didn't see the big picture when honing their tone. Even if your guitar tone is the best tone in the world, but if you can't hear the drums or the bass, or in general anything else except the guitars, does it really serve it's purpose?

The thing that I personally learned the most from this competition, was what other people liked most about guitartones and they were often very different from what I like. For example there was many tones I liked that didn't make it to the finals and even many professional engineers, who run their own studio, didn't make it to the final round. We asked for everyone who submitted their guitar tone to tell what signalchain they used, because we wanted to make this competition to support what this forum is about; Learning. You are never old to learn new tricks, and there usually always is someone who is better than you (except if you are Mike Patton).

Hope you had a blast with the competition. Please fill out the poll above, so we can see how we did and possibly learn from our mistakes :)

Yours truly,
Anssi ”ahjteam” Tenhunen

Thanks a lot Anssi and all the other people who participated into making this possible.

FWIW, I checked everything except the first checkbox. However, it'd have been be better to have more bass on the final mixdown of the backing track, and I'm quite sure this opinion is supported by most participants, but then again it added a challenge, which is good as you said.

Congrats to Ermz!

Alright, the second guitar tone competition is FINALLY over! Congratulations to our winner, Ermin ”Ermz” Hamidovic. Hope you enjoy your new plugins :) Now that the show is over, let me say a few words what I thought about the competition.

First of all many people may not know it, but getting this competition started took a lot of time and work, so I would like to thank our wonderful host, Mark ”MarkG” van der Giessen. You made a big effort to make this all happen. Then I would like to thank Gregory ”lolzgreg” Tomao for the killer tune (dude, you really need to make that into a full song!) and Daniel ”SlipkyesBass” for the awesome basstracks. Then I would like to thank our competition sponsors, Steven Slate and Alex Siegel from Yellow Matter Entertainment, for providing the extra motivation. And not to forget, all the participants and voters for making this event yet another page in Andy Sneap forum history. And everyone else I forgot who deserves credit: Thank you too.

When this competition began, there was no cake. Greg made a thread and said he liked the first competition and wanted that we would have another one and people voluntarily said that they wanted to join the guitar tone competition, and they were in big numbers. One day I just decided to take a shot in the dark and ask if Slate would like to sponsor the competition and tada, we got a sponsor. Now there was a cake.

Basically this competition was a simplified musicproduction business situation simulation. We sent a snippet to many people and the public voted who gets gets the cake in the end. Similiar thing happens a lot with architecture, reality tv shows and even in this forum, where people submit their multitracks of a song and then pick who gets to mix their full album. We had a song, a producer (greg), an engineer (me) and two guitar tracks that needed reamping. I mixed everything according to producers wishes and then we supplied the participants a set of backingtracks and the guitartracks and a short readme what to do with these files. Apparently some people had hard time getting the few minutes needed to actually read the rules (like ”submit a 24bit wav and not mp3”), but sometimes I thought maybe we should've written the rules more tighter to avoid any confusion, but then again some people didn't have the attention span to even read 2 pages of rules we already had.

Some people complained that the backingtracks weren't optimal; Lacking lower bass or whatever. Yes, the low end was just mixed a bit thin, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. It was producers choise and just another approach to mixing. Sometimes you might get work-in-progress material instead of final product and sometimes you might get material with a soundscape that you might not like. You were there just to reamp, not to mix. If you had never done this kind of stuff before, this was a good practice exercise to try to hone your skills. In my opinion it actually was good that the backingtrack was challenging, because you had to make choises. Should I try to bring up the low end and fill in the soundscape but get more muddy tone or sacrifice the low end and get a bit thinner tone? Some people made their guitar tone so loud, that the backingtracks just completely vanished. If we would've also added vocals, it would've given us yet another challenge, because you really can't just bury the vocals under the guitars.

There was generally two approaches to the submitted mixes: The submitter tried to make the guitartone sound good or the submitter tried to make the mix sound good. Eventho the contest was clearly labeled "Guitar Tone Competition 2", in my opinion too many people didn't see the big picture when honing their tone. Even if your guitar tone is the best tone in the world, but if you can't hear the drums or the bass, or in general anything else except the guitars, does it really serve it's purpose?

The thing that I personally learned the most from this competition, was what other people liked most about guitartones and they were often very different from what I like. For example there was many tones I liked that didn't make it to the finals and even many professional engineers, who run their own studio, didn't make it to the final round. We asked for everyone who submitted their guitar tone to tell what signalchain they used, because we wanted to make this competition to support what this forum is about; Learning. You are never old to learn new tricks, and there usually always is someone who is better than you (except if you are Mike Patton).

Hope you had a blast with the competition. Please fill out the poll above, so we can see how we did and possibly learn from our mistakes :)

Yours truly,
Anssi ”ahjteam” Tenhunen

Thanks to you too Anssi, it would not have gone as smoothly (or with a cake) if it weren't for your help and input. I couldn't have done the engineering part myself either.

I hope everyone enjoyed the competition!

Ps. If you have constructive criticism feel free to post. I'll take it into account the next time I host a competition (if you'll still have me). I learned a lot from hosting the previous one, and I'm sure there is much to learn from this one as well.

Pss. I missed the "I love everyone who made this happen" checkbox. :headbang:

THIS.

Can't say i fell in love with the "winning" tones, but i learnt a lot and that's the most important thing IMO. I found out that even if a tone "works" in a mix, still if i don't like it (its character) i'll dismiss it right away. I think i kinda prefer a tone that's less "perfect" in terms of mix-readiness but that fits my tastes.

Thanks to everyone that made this happen !

I think next time, if some one doesn't follow the rules, then they should be thrown out, as per the rules. There was too much 'after deadline' banter and lots of leeway with some people not adhering to the guidelines for not messing with the backing track etc.

Otherwise I thought it went great. Maybe we could have a few people test out the DI/backing track before hand just to get an opinion on how it will work out? I know a lot of people found the supplied items hard to work with.

I think next time, if some one doesn't follow the rules, then they should be thrown out, as per the rules. There was too much 'after deadline' banter and lots of leeway with some people not adhering to the guidelines for not messing with the backing track etc.

Otherwise I thought it went great. Maybe we could have a few people test out the DI/backing track before hand just to get an opinion on how it will work out? I know a lot of people found the supplied items hard to work with.

We did have them up beforehand, for a few days.

Agreed, big thanks to all of you involved in the organization of the event.

I've already expressed my interest to be involved in the putting together of the next one to Mark. I am hoping Ola will also be on board to provide DIs for us, if that is desirable for the crew of course.

I have no problem with Ola providing DIs, considering my DIs were so miserable to a great part of the people here. I think it had to be my guitar pickups (which have changed since-I'll be doing more reamping tests VERY soon. I don't think I'm that poor of a player :erk:

The backing track was less than ideal on purpose, as Anssi mentioned. This was part of my plan to make this interesting.

Thank you very much to all involved.

We want more and we want it now.

As a suggestion:

It would be great another contest but not only guitar tone but bass reamping, drum trigering and song mixing & mastering... or even better a completely new instrumental song which we could vote music writting, playing, tones, mixing, mastering. Too ambitious?

@greg, don't be so pesimistic, DI's were great! If someone complained I suggest they provide DI's next time or shut their fuck out.

Yeah, nothing wrong with the DIs in my opinion. As Jevil said, complainers really need to shut their fuck out.

In fact, they were so good, I even had some of the dry DI sound in my mix. That's how I made it to the finals.