Guitar tone (recording question)

metalgtr84

Alabama Man
Jan 30, 2005
Berkeley, CA
Hi I'm new to the board and actually somewhat new to Jag Panzer. Started listening last year after casting the stones came out and I've been on a fix ever since. You guys shred to the fullest extent and I regret missing the show here last summer when you were touring southern california. Anyways...I was wondering how you got such a tight and heavy rhythm guitar sound on the recording? My band has been recording some stuff lately and I keep getting this weird "fuzz" or "buzzing" happening in the background. Coupled with the fact that I really don't know what kinds of mics to use or even where to place them...I just trust the knowledge and wisdom of the engineers at the studio to come up with something but I'm more of a "hands on" type person. Thanks again.

p.s. Chris how do you play the guitar so good? (Just kidding). Although those videos on your website are pretty fun to watch and yeah...sign me up for one of them dvd thingies! :kickass:

metalgtr84 said:
Hi I'm new to the board and actually somewhat new to Jag Panzer. Started listening last year after casting the stones came out and I've been on a fix ever since. You guys shred to the fullest extent and I regret missing the show here last summer when you were touring southern california. Anyways...I was wondering how you got such a tight and heavy rhythm guitar sound on the recording? My band has been recording some stuff lately and I keep getting this weird "fuzz" or "buzzing" happening in the background. Coupled with the fact that I really don't know what kinds of mics to use or even where to place them...I just trust the knowledge and wisdom of the engineers at the studio to come up with something but I'm more of a "hands on" type person. Thanks again.

p.s. Chris how do you play the guitar so good? (Just kidding). Although those videos on your website are pretty fun to watch and yeah...sign me up for one of them dvd thingies! :kickass:
Hey metalgtr84,
I believe quality is everything, from your amp (ENGL powerball/Bogner XTC), mike (SM57/TLM 103), all the way to you A/D converters. From there I belive you need to make sure that your guitar tone is balanced along all frequencies, so there is no huge spike in the bass, mids or treble. From there, you if you have to, you have all those frequencies to adjust in the mix.
Chris.