guitar tone....

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
Is there anyone who just makes you want to jump up and grab your axe and play or grab a broom and play air guitar because their tone just makes your ears bleed ?

Wolf !! Accept's former guitar God isn't my favorite simply because he played awesome solos. This guy had Marshalls built to his specs and was one of the first to make the EMG81 pickup famous. His tone is a monster.

Jorn Viggo Lofstat (Pagans Mind) This guy is 80's all the way in the solo department, but his tone is 21st century and his sound is huge.

Tom Schultz (Boston) What can yiou say about him. In 1976, his tone sounded better than most guitaists in 2005.

Angus Young (BiB era) - Some credit has to be given to the "master" of Production, namely John "Mutt" Lange, but there are guitarists right now as I speak cursing because no matter how they adjust their amps and effects, they can't get that sound.

Jonny Rzeznik (Goo Goo Dolls) - Hey I don't like those guys just because JR is a great crooner. This guy is a master of guitar tone (and alternate tunings but that's another thread) and I've fucked with my amp and effects trying to get a sound of his as much as I have by any other guitarist even though I was looking for a "metal" sound. His acoustic tone is also awesome.

Warren Dimartini - Ratt had an awesome guitar tone. Robbin had a big hand in that as well.

Chris Oliva - His electric tone was wonderful and close to being on this list, but he made the list due to his acoustic tone. His acoustic guitar sound was indescribable.

Bryant

Since I'm musically impaired I don't know what you meant by tone, but surely I jump to play air guitar with:

Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath). Anytime I hear stuff like 'N.I.B', 'Paranoid', 'Laguna Sunrise', 'Fluff', 'Heaven And Hell', 'Lord Of This World', 'Warning', 'Spiral Architect', 'Lonely Is The Word', well you know what I mean.

Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple, Rainbow). How can you deny the impact in your soul of tunes like 'Highway Star', 'Hallelujah', 'Pictures Of Home', 'Fireball', 'Wasted Sunsets', 'Son Of Alerik', 'Man On The Silver Mountain', 'A Light In The Black', 'Hall Of The Mountain King', 'Rainbow Eyes', 'Solitaire'?

Scott Gorham/Brian Robertson/Gary Moore/Snowy White/John Sykes (Thin Lizzy). Gorham along the rest created some of the most incredible pieces in rock/metal, true lessons in the art of twin guitar attack, 'Emerald', 'Didn't I', 'Black Rose', 'The Holy War', 'Renegade', and the incredible live versions of 'Still In Love With You'.

I can go on and on, but I think I made by viewpoint clear :D

Bryant is talking about the sounds a guitar player can get from his instrument.
You could give the same guitar to several players and they would all get a different sound from it. It has to do with the way they hold it, their technique and what and how they are using their fingers to how they fine tune their amplifiers.

John Sykes!
Indeed Jorn Viggo Lofstat!!
Eddy van Halen on their first album and on Woman and Children First
AL Di Meola
Keith Warman from Cea Cerin
Michael Schenker during the 70s
Alexi Laiho from COB
Jeff Loomis
Mattias IA Eklundh on his solo albums
Michael Romeo although his live sound is way to thin
Billy Gibbons for his laid back bluesy 70s sound

Looking over my list and thinking about it I find that most of the people that know how to get a good sound are from the 70s or have learned their skills by listening to 70s bands. I do think that getting a good guitar sound is becoming a lost art. Most "modern" players sound like crap!

Hawk said:
Bryant is talking about the sounds a guitar player can get from his instrument.
You could give the same guitar to several players and they would all get a different sound from it. It has to do with the way they hold it, their technique and what and how they are using their fingers to how they fine tune their amplifiers.

In that case besides the aforementioned ones:

Steve Vai
Tony MacAlpine
Angus Young
David Gilmour
Arjen Lucassen
Roine Stolt
Walter Giardino
Robert Fripp
Ron Jarzombek

Cool thread. Since I play guitar and have spent countless hours trying to sound like other players (and failing miserably!) I suppose that I have a few opinions.

EVH was the original tone guy for me. He really was the one who made the 80s sound like the 80s (IMHO). I don't think that there is one guy who is a player that can't list EVH as an influence... shit man. The Ratts, Dokkens, all of them were HEAVILY influenced in flash/tone by EVH. That is why I guess it is hard to credit people like Lynch, DiMartini, Jake E... any of those dudes with an original sound/style/tone. NOT that I discredit their playing and influence though.

Randy Rhodes probably was the next. Being from the same time as EVH, he probably was just as huge of influence on that era. His OZZY stuff still has tone beyond tone.

The German Guys like Wolf, Schenker(s), Jabs were all huge tone Gods! Yeah, I know they all came from the 70s era and I guess you could add the English Guys also... Ya know, the Priests and the Maidens... All really original in style and tone... Which yeah, mostly came from Blackmore and Page and Hendrix and Iommi...

Fuck this gets confusing when you start to try to analyze any of it.

So much of the guitar really did get tired in the late 80s and 90s because everyone was trying to be guitar heros... all trying to capture the EVH tone and the Dimebag tone and the Rhodes style and so on.

Bryant should have an opinion on this one that I can't get past. If you ask me, a band like Tad Morose sounds like Accept. I know that they have an awesome singer but to they are Made from the guitar tone and song stucture which really reminds me of Accept.

Oh yeah, tone... One of the best tones that I have heard in years is the band Jackal. Benny Petersen has the technique and tone that is just amazing. Like I said before, Van Halen crossed with Iron Maiden.

This really gets hard. There are tons of players that are just frickin' incredible but they don't have the tone or style or whatever to make you wanna jam like you do when you hear Eruption. Howe, MacAlpine, Malmsteen, Moore, Morse, Johnson, Satriani... TONE, Tone TONE!!!

To me, outta those guys, Paul Gilbert tops them all because he has, to me, a better songwriting capability...

Tone... hum. I have heard millions of guys play thru the same gear as the tone gods and not have that tone... Most of it is the fingers and the mind of the player... not the equipment. I think it is called talent.

Ok, I will shut up.

Guitar players I would recognise immediatly, playing any sort of guitar or in any band would be Vai, Schenker, EVH , Akira Takasaki (Loudness) and Angus Young...

oh hell, John Petrucci man. he's just a kick ass guitar player, and his solo's are amazing. especially if you have a dvd of him, shit man the way his fingers move...it's amazing.

and then of course Dave Murray, my favorite guitar player of my favorite band. i just like his style.

Ritchie Blackmore man. his days with rainbow, ah man. i think dio brings out his guitar more and that makes me love it a whole lot more.

and then i've always loved Gus G, from dream evil...well he's not in it anymore, but i always thought he was an awesome guitar player and love his stuff.

Thinking about tone again... Tom Schultz from Boston was an engineer that played guitar. He had a totally cool original tone that he achieved from his own amp/setup/whatever gadget that he made himself. Well being a smart man, he goes and mass produces the Rockman or whatever it was called, little amp thingy that every aspiring guitar slinger could buy. Well after hearing some local band play at some shithole club and walking in on them while they were ripping thru some Boston tune, I thought cool, this guy can really pull of Schultz... but then they tore into the next tune and holy shit, it was AC/DC and it sounded like Boston... so did the next song and the next and the next... After that, I really thought that the Boston tone was just a gizmo produced thing that ANYONE could have if they wanted it... Ok, so with that line of thinking, I have never, ever, ever heard ANYONE pull off sounding like EVH on the first few albums. And yes, I know whole assload of VERY talented guitarists. Tone is more than sound... It is more than a feeling. WOW, full circle!

Sweet mother of Martha Stewart this is the thread I've been waiting for! Thank you Bryant for such a noble cause!! Now here goes:

I don't think I have to go too far to name my three faves of all time!

TED Nugent - He has an almost out of control tone. It sounds like the feedback could just bust your eardrums at any minute if he quit playing long enough to let the noise in. Thankfully, he never quits playing.

Edward VAN Halen - My favorite guitarist of all time. I used to want to be Eddie so bad as a kid that I even went so far as to wear a full on JUMPSUIT to school in like the 6th grade. Yeah, it got some laughs, but there were also some 8th grade girls that respected my mullet and velcro tennies and the rest is history!

Ace FREHLEY - KISS was my first album and Ace was IT for me. Still is. There are many great guitarists, but Ace is the greatest ROCK STAR guitarist in my opinion. He may not have the chops, (especially now!) but he wore makeup and spaceboots and shot rockets and smoke out of his guitar for the love of Pete and if that doesn't make your liver quiver then you had better check your pulse and make your bowells act fast!

Honorable TONE warrior mentions:
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Pete Anderson (dwight yoakam's guitarist)
James Hetfield
the Reverend Billy GIbbons
Dimebag
Tony Iommi

Vinnie Vincent Invasion first album...
George Lynch's lead tone on Back For The Attack...
Shotgun Messiah's first album...
Wildside's first album...

Tony Iommi! - He just has the ability to sound however the music needs him to sound and that tone on "Master Of Reality" is so fucking heavy! :headbang:

Randy Rhoads - Key man in developing the 80s heavy metal guitar sound.

Dimebag - Crushing ballsy tone, gotta love it.

Alexi Laiho - What can I say? Perfectly suited tone for his high-energy and amazing music.

Mick Mars - A tone that just screams fun and sleazy! I love it!

Michael Romeo - Powerful and emotional sound.

And there's heaps more I'm forgetting!

Bryant said:
Angus Young (BiB era) - Some credit has to be given to the "master" of Production, namely John "Mutt" Lange, but there are guitarists right now as I speak cursing because no matter how they adjust their amps and effects, they can't get that sound.
Fuck yeah! He has this really clean yet heavy sound. Definately an awesome tone! :headbang:

Oh yeah I forgot the guitar tone on Ratt's "Invasion Of Your Privacy". If there was one rhythm guitar tone I had to choose to emulate it would be that.

I worship at the alter of Tony Iommi. The sound he can get out of that guitar is not only incredible, but revolutionary. It's the tone that CREATED heavy metal! And it's still one of the most devastating and recognizible guitar sounds around.

tedvanfrehley said:
Sweet mother of Martha Stewart this is the thread I've been waiting for! Thank you Bryant for such a noble cause!! Now here goes:

Honorable TONE warrior mentions:

James Hetfield
the Reverend Billy GIbbons
Dimebag

No matter how pissed I ever have got and get at fucktallica, Hetfield's tone was so sinister, it scared me the first time I heard it. Gibbons and Dimebag also had some amazing guitar sounds, no doubt.

I certainly should have mentioned Eddie as well. Without Eddie, Vito would not have been Vito. THough he was no clone, the influence was very strong.

Bryant