Guitarists

Jan 3, 2003
Sydney
kinda off topic but i dont know where else to ask...
i been playin guitar for bit over a year now and im started to become interested in the finer shit.... cos im not overly knowledgable atm (noob)
i wanna know about all the specs of guitars and what they mean
eg - tremolos, pickups, humbuckers, etc. etc.
also what all the different guitar effects do.. like wtf is sustain and compression etc.

anyways if anyone knows any good websites or anything explaining these enigmas i would be forever greatfull :) :)

tremolos - part of the bridge of the guitar, where the 'whammy' bar or tremolo bar is held in place. Although that's not entirely accurate because tremolo is a change in volume whereas vibrato is a change in pitch--but that's how Leo Fender named it (or the guy from Bigsby I can't remember which)

pickups 'pick up' the vibration from the strings and turn them into a signal which is fed through your amplifier. There are various types of pickups, the most common two being single coils and humbuckers. Humbuckers are generally what is used in metal.

A website with boatloads of information on guitar is

Harmony Central

yeh that harmony central link dont work, did u type in wrong??
i know wat a tremolo and pickups are but i was more wondering wat difference between differetn types... like floye rose tremolo, emg pickups... u know
thanx for help... anymore would be appreciated