guitarplayers AND intonation

Doubt it, otherwise he wouldn't use it.

well what happens when you bend the string to the point of where the fret wire bends? Especially right off the first fret and fifth fret, you basically with over to the other strings temperament which should throw everything off pretty badly.

Now wtf are those 7 and 8 strings that has the frets angled, where they are still straight but are angled on the fretboard? WTF is that shit called?

well what happens when you bend the string to the point of where the fret wire bends? Especially right off the first fret and fifth fret, you basically with over to the other strings temperament which should throw everything off pretty badly.

Now wtf are those 7 and 8 strings that has the frets angled, where they are still straight but are angled on the fretboard? WTF is that shit called?

They're called fanned fret guitars. They allow different scale lengths on the same guitar.
It's great for people that like the sound of say, a longer scale for their low B/F# string, but hate how it sounds at the higher strings so they can use a shorter scale to retain the warmth of the sound.

In my experience, bass players are even worse.

There's nothing like trying to lay the foundation of the song & the fucking idiot is bending his strings out of pitch & doesn't notice.

the guitarist band im recording right now is just like that! I was struggling for so long, because his power chords on the top strings always sound out of tune, I tried tuning his guitar, didnt help. I realized it was his shitty vibrato he is trying to use on his power chords. he tries to bend the chord, and bends it out of pitch, doesnt even notice???????? fuck, even kurt cobain had decent vibrato

fuck I had good vibrato, and could bust pinch harmonics when I was 14 lololol
these guys are like 24 and have no clue....

if they paid me more, I would have played his parts after he left...

he also doesnt even know how to do a pinch harmonic lol. and he wants me to play RHYTHM guitar in his band. he practically begged me, no excuse i could give him was enough. I can t believe how stupid some of the small time musicians around here can really be :p

I have a fanned fret 8-string guitar. It doesn't feel weird at all to play, and there's no problem doing bends and stuff. Nothing gets thrown off. It might sound strange, but try one and you'll see. You see, the pitch comes from string tension, not only from the distance between the fret and the bridge. Thus, I can't see there being a problem with those true temperament guitars either. I've played one of these, and there were no problems either with those bent frets; it was only more in tune:

P_aesfg_white.jpg

Fanned frets are a pretty clever design if you ask me, and I've heard from people that have guitars with them that it actually doesn't take that much time to get used to! (though I still have my doubts that it feels more natural, as some have claimed)

And ze kink, is that the Gambale signature? And is that the Buzz Feiten system? I like the look of that cuz it's not every fucking fret turning into a noodle like true temperament, which is ok by me even if it doesn't sound quite as accurate

Fanned frets are a pretty clever design if you ask me, and I've heard from people that have guitars with them that it actually doesn't take that much time to get used to! (though I still have my doubts that it feels more natural, as some have claimed)

And ze kink, is that the Gambale signature? And is that the Buzz Feiten system? I like the look of that cuz it's not every fucking fret turning into a noodle like true temperament, which is ok by me even if it doesn't sound quite as accurate

Yeah, it doesn't take almost any time to get used to! It's confusing at first if you look at your fingers while playing, but if you don't, your fingers find their places automatically.

And yeah, it is the Gambale signature. I don't know what tuning system it is but the guitar was kind of cool. It was a long time ago though.

Besides Vai, IA Eklundh uses a true temperament guitar too BTW:

LOTFVII-AH-TT.jpg

That figures, being a fellow countryman of the inventor and all :D And yeah, I played that Gambale sig awhile back as well and remember really loving it!

Oh god the vibrato....I'm really surprised that a really simple technique like the vibrato is so rare in the average guitarist. I've only recorded 4-5 guitarists but no one was able to do a decent vibrato. Not to mention a bend with vibrato.
Another big problem I had with those guitarists is that they all tried to play stuff like arpeggios and speed picking without having the skills to do so resulting to an awful sounding series of notes and noise. All the while they were thinking it sounded good of course...

Of all these guitarists only 2 were doing an official recording and I actually had to deal with the problem. For the vibrato I just had them punch in the single notes separately until they got them right.
As far as the arpeggios and speedpicking in one occasion I just sent the guitarist home and told him to write a different solo which he would actually be able to play. Of course I understand that's not always possible, those 2 specific guitarists respected my producing skills and my opinions and I was able to explain them why it was wrong. I imagine most of the time guitarists have much bigger egos and don't take advice that well...

hahaha i laughed so hard when i read that!

LOTFVII-AH-TT.jpg
[/QUOTE]

i never liked those guitars...the idea of having an apple with horns on a caparison just doesn't sit well with me. a dellinger is the way forward for me