H-S-S Strat Pickup Recommendations

Manicompression

doing it for the kids
Aug 20, 2007
Cleveland OH
Just what the title said. I need some recommendations for some cool pickups to put into this strat Im piecing together. The body is made of alder, nitro finished Fender Highway One from like 06, all maple compound neck.

Ive only owned Mahogany guitars in the past so Im finding myself unsure of the value in my previous points of reference.

My main amp is an early 2000s Dual Rec solo 3 channel with Kt88s, going into the marshall mf400 cab. The music my band plays is like a shitty version of early Machinehead and Zao with the occasional AIC Jar of Flies sort of tune. We tune a Half step down and often take that into drop C tuning.

I dont want to go for an active pickup, I like Emg's and I have them in other guitars but dont want to go that route with this one. I would like to be able to coil split, push pull my bridge hum. I know dick about single coil pickups but found that I liked the sound of the pups in the current production 50s fender strat, in clean to mildly overdriven situations. I dont know how that neck single would sound in a metal context though. So any suggestions for singles that could cut and sound cool through my Dual but also clean up and do the twangy clean or bell-like distorted neck thing would be great.

For the humbucker, I really like the way the Duncan JB responds to picking, It sort of has a splochy kind of compression when you hit the note, I have yet to try a pickup that "feels" better to me, and I generaly like the sound of it live but maybe not 100% recorded.

I picked up a Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid recently and to me it "sounds" perfect for what I like but doesnt have that saggy feel. Ive only tried either of these in heavy Mahogany 24.75 scale guitars though.

Pickups Ive tried but didnt get on with include the Duncan Distortion, Dimarzio Distortion, Pearly Gates, and the Emg 81 (i prefer the 85)

Also pots, what kind should I pair up with the singles ? I usually like 500's on Hums but maybe a 250 is part of the single coil charm or better for Alder bodies, opinions, experiences?

Sorry for the long winded post but im fairly certain this is the only forum where Im going to get pertinent suggestions.

HSS is an interesting beast. Are you going to run a single coil sized humbucker in the middle ala Hotrails? If you are, going with 500k pots all around is your best bet. If you're going to use actual single coils, then you have a few options. I'll list them from best to worst:

* Suhr's method which involves a super switch and a few resistors. Zero drawback aside from its complexity:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk20/testing1two/Wiring Diagrams/hss-1.jpg

* DiMarzio's method which makes the singles see 250k but the bridge will also see 250k when paired with the single in position 4. Note that there are no 500k resistors, so you either need a 470k or 510k:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Code001/Guitar/Standard5Way.gif

* Individual volume pots with the humbucker at 500k and the singles at 250k

* 300k master volume pot

Now, for the music you're playing, I'd probably recommend a single coil sized humbucker in the neck. Hotrails, Air Norton S, Chopper, etc. You can use a push/pull pot for a master split to get some more sounds out of it. You can use this wiring diagram for how to wire it up:
http://cdn.seymourduncan.com/images/support/schematics/HSH_1v_1t_5w_pushpull.jpg

I doubt Ill be doing the hotrails thing. I have a couple guitars with the two hum config so Im trying to keep it proper hss. I want the strat flavor but still capable of getting the brootz on my bridge hum without too much level disparity between positions. Thanks for the diagram links.

hey,

that kinda sounds like what I'm doing with my latest guitar purchase ('94 G&L Legacy)
HotRails for the bridge, right now there are two other SDs (SSL-1s) in the neck and middle position. They're alright but not great.
I just ordered a Hippie '68 from www.domingerpickups.com (watch out - video starts automatically) since I plan to use fuzz boxes with it.
Middle pickup I still haven't decided, but I'll probably get a Fender 57/62 pup.