Hairball 1176 revisions

Revson

Sep 22, 2010
Orlando, FL
www.villainproductions.com
OK, so I saw a post the other day and someone linked to http://hairballaudio.com/shop/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=4cd4976e1eaf46297baf8dd21b8872f4 and that got me seriously GASing. So my question is this: between A, D, and F, which revision should I get? I do plan on getting all three eventually (~$500 per clone, real 1176's go for $1500), but what would be the best to have first or does it really matter? Whether you've used a Hairball or a real 1176, or some other hardware clone, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

http://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/diy-1176-revisions/

I actually have been really into the DIY scene lately. I am finishing up a two-channel Neve 1290 pre-amp, have a Trident S800 two-channel EQ almost done, and I'm waiting for parts for an SSL 4000 bus compressor (newest revision which is closest to the original). I also racked a quad eight pre-amp a while back, it was my first DIY project. I bought a Tektronix oscilloscope for $65 shipped on ebay, you need an oscilloscope for building the 1176. You will also need a good soldering iron, a multimeter, proper solder skills so you don't burn the components, and some spools of wire. It's been a learning experience for me because I'm no electrical engineer but it's fun.

Thanks for the link. After reading I think I'm going to start with the RevF. I really like the DIY stuff too. It's usually much cheaper and I definitely get a deep sense of satisfaction after a successful build. Did you find all the projects you're working on from that link? I didn't see anything about a Trident EQ on there.

I have most of the tools I need already and I have easy access to the rest. The SCA stuff I built was pretty easy and these don't seem to be much more difficult.

I went with the RevJ. Almost finished, cosmetic stuff to come and the output tranny. Should be done in a few weeks. Damn finances are holding things up.

im sorry for sounding like a noob here, but do these kits come with a manual how to build them?
how hard would it be for someone who has never done something like that before?
worth the time? thanks guys!

I'm pretty inexperienced at this sort of thing, but I live with an design engineer who keeps me right with the schematics and one of my mates is an electrical engineer, so he helps me with any of the hands on stuff I'm unsure of. The online resources are very good, but I'd never have attempted mine if I didn't know these people who can give me hands on help.

It looks like there is a forum that goes step by step through the build process. Honestly, you probably won't have to look at the schematics. I think the only real difficulty for anyone building these is just a lack of soldering experience.

It looks like there is a forum that goes step by step through the build process. Honestly, you probably won't have to look at the schematics. I think the only real difficulty for anyone building these is just a lack of soldering experience.

Where is this forum? If there are good instructions I'll have to pull the trigger!

I was getting most confused with the letter thing. I thought it was close to the G... you showed me though!

im sorry for sounding like a noob here, but do these kits come with a manual how to build them?
how hard would it be for someone who has never done something like that before?
worth the time? thanks guys!

Buy your clone from Prime instead man. Im buying one unit right now, 750€ including VAT. That is dirty cheap anyway. You have to estimate the price of that hairball unit, going through customs etc, and then the hazzle of building it.