Halford desires to work with Ihsahn

ihsahn hasn't done something outstanding for a while now. i thought the adversary was lackluster, and peccatum has always been trash. teaming up with halford he might steer away from what he has (unsuccessfully) been doing for the last 7-8 years and actually come up with a good album. working with halford he might tone down some of the excesses and write something a little more coherent.

NineFeetUnderground said:
yes, another nightside eclipse would make a ton of sense. only with halford on vocals this time. :rolleyes:

Who said he needs to replicate his early work? I only want him to listen to it and be reminded that his excellence as a writer doesn't lie in the ability to noodle around with his guitar.

My Man Mahmoud said:
Who said he needs to replicate his early work? I only want him to listen to it and be reminded that his excellence as a writer doesn't lie in the ability to noodle around with his guitar.

i see. but maybe thats more of a collaboratory issue? it seems the more and more he became the sole writer for the projects he was in...the quality of the material became worse and worse. although the musicianship didnt, but that doesnt make much difference at all if im not enjoying what im hearing.

A very fucking HOT wife I might add.

Derbeder - I'm shocked to see you expressing a dislike for Peccatum. I quite liked their material. I know it's a love/hate thing with many people though.

As far as Halford and Ihsahn - well, it would be an interesting experiment for sure. And they are both fantastic vocalists. The Adversary was Ihsahn's big step up on vocal performance, his range has really matured and upper registers are stronger than ever.

Yeah, Peccatum has never been my cup of tea. The last album had a couple songs that I somewhat enjoyed, but I didn't really find much to like in the albums before that.
it seems the more and more he became the sole writer for the projects he was in...the quality of the material became worse and worse.
I agree.

I prefer to think of it as "different" as opposed to "worse". Perhaps he is yet to find his musical balance.

There is no denying that Ihsahn is a very talented man. The Adversary was not a brilliant album, but I think it will enable him to finally achieve a path towards releasing a work which effectively conveys his talents via a better musical vision. I dare say his next album will be a step closer towards this, perhaps we just need to be patient.

i think he just takes on too much. or his scope is further than his reach. devin townsend does the same thing a lot. i cant fault them for it too much, im glad SOMEONE is trying to do something different and interesting these days...rather than resorting to yet another bodom or borgir clone like most bands are lately. however, one needs to somewhat work within their own boundaries while moving forward still...as hubster said...the balance.

i see. but maybe thats more of a collaboratory issue? it seems the more and more he became the sole writer for the projects he was in...the quality of the material became worse and worse. although the musicianship didnt, but that doesnt make much difference at all if im not enjoying what im hearing.

There's probably something to that theory. What's interesting to me is the way he has paradoxically increased the technical complexity of his instrumental lines while simultaneously making music that is less complex in at a structural level. He wants the sense of sophistication without having to do the mental heavy lifting in the writing process that actually sophisticated music takes.

Adversary is as "sophisticated" as anything else he's done, when it wants to be. Sure, there are unpretentious rockers on there, but also a 10 minute black opera that is as dynamic as it gets. Its not the inspired genius of Anthems, but what is.

Talking Meat said:
Adversary is as "sophisticated" as anything else he's done, when it wants to be. Sure, there are unpretentious rockers on there, but also a 10 minute black opera that is as dynamic as it gets. Its not the inspired genius of Anthems, but what is.

Anthems... was mediocre at best, and suffered from a grandiosity of technique and a shortage of song to go with it. Lots of spectacular playing wasted on verse/chorus arrangements (and lots of booming, fully orchestrated keys doing nothing but doubling the guitar line - BOOOOOORRRRRRRRINNNNG).

Don Corleone said:
ihsahn is perfect the way he is. does he really need halford for any ideas or anything at all? i dont think he needs halford's name, either.

That has nothing to do with it...it's about mutual admiration and new creative outlets. Geez!