Hank Paulson is a liar

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081112/wall_street.html?printer=1

NEW YORK (AP) -- An already disheartened Wall Street turned sharply lower Wednesday after Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson said the government won't buy banks' soured mortgage assets after all, disappointing investors who hoped to see the bad debt wiped off companies' books. The Dow Jones industrials fell more than 270 points, and all the major indexes dropped more than 2 percent as the market retreated for a third straight session.

Paulson said the government's $700 billion financial rescue package will not purchase troubled assets from banks as originally planned. He said that plan would have taken too much time, and that the Treasury instead will rely on buying stakes in banks and encouraging them to resume more normal lending.

While the market had been pleased by the government's decision weeks ago to buy banks' stock, investors still hoped to see the financial industry relieved of the burden of the mortgage assets whose decline in value helped set off the nation's financial crisis.

Paulson also announced a new goal for the program to support financial markets which supply consumer credit in such areas as credit card debt, auto loans and student loans. He said "with a stronger capital base, our banks will be more confident" to support economic activity.

I like how bad debt caused this problem, and the solution is to continue to let people go in debt. Talk about band-aid approaches....

It pretty much means the treasury will acquire warrants from the banks, which they can, in turn, convert into shares of stock. Enough of these warrants can produce enough shares of stock whereby the treasury would own the banks outright.

it's bad IMO

Cool. So would this be closer to nationalizing the banks? As a person educated in finance do you think this is a good idea?

Btw, my first post was a joke, referencing my tendency to not read threads and then say I assume someone is right. I know you don't always get my humor.

Hmmm, I would tend to agree with you, but I don't really have the factual basis to hold a firm position. I think just having a more regulated system like they do in Europe or Canada might be the way to go. Canada was actually ranked as having the best banking system in the world recently.

Hmmm, I would tend to agree with you, but I don't really have the factual basis to hold a firm position. I think just having a more regulated system like they do in Europe or Canada might be the way to go. Canada was actually ranked as having the best banking system in the world recently.

Well, by nationalizing an industry, the government assumes all debts, liabilities and obligations of said business. Do you really want the government to assume all the liabilities of a bank given how much debt the country has now?

Not only that, you have to worry about delinquent loans, CDs, savings accounts, any credit card accounts the bank might assume, etc.

All the money we have now is just debt. The money in my wallet is debt owed to someone

I just don't think the government is efficient at doing something like this. They have enough on their plate governing the fucking people

Also, I have zero knowledge about Canada's banking industry. If you could find some links, I would like to read about it.

I worked for RBC Centura for a little over a year. Working for the American arm sucked ass, not to mention the french canadian snowbird customers that in general all needed the silver spoon removed from their ass.

That's a good start for info on the banking industry in Canadia. From what I gathered in the wiki article, the banks actually report to the government. That's nationalization I guess, but it's working well in Canada (except for their debt/GDP ratio being 70%)