Happy 23rd birthday to Sound of White Noise

aliasp

Old School since '86
Oct 26, 2003
Hard to believe it but this brilliant (and divisive) album is 23 years old today.

I still remember the first time I heard it (travelling on a bus to Melbourne from Adelaide for a job interview when I was 21 years old).

I still have the original tape at home too.

I know this album caused massive rifts in the Anthrax fanbase simply because of the manner (and shock) of Joey's departure but for me I think SOWN is simply their most complete album. Despite my disappointment at Joey being fired I had no idea just how brilliant this album would be.

Zero filler.
All great tracks.
Bush totally kills it on this album.
Superb production and just the complete package.

POT may be my personal favourite but SOWN really tests that opinion for me many times.

Only way I can described this album is lightning in a bottle. LOVE IT. And lets not make this a Joey v John thread (despite that being a rather relevant factor about this album).

Show your love (or hate) for Sound of White Noise.

Being a dedicated anthrax fan by then It had sunk in for a while that new singer was in etc,I quite liked only as a first single and loved potters field and room for one more as well,too much filler, burst packaged rebellion,c2)567 or whatever that wax called,I understand it's a special record because it was ahead of it's time but it's on par with volume 8,I loved stomp and wcfya much better

For me this is the perfect album from every band. If i got to make a list for best albums i choose SOWN. I love every song, i love Johns performance , the lyrics, the sound of the album, the guitars leads, Scotts voice.everything.
Still when I hear the song Only I sing it like the first time I hear it. When I heard 1000 point of hate I want to break everything. When I hear Packaged rebellion it gives me goosebumps. This album made me know anthrax this album make me an Anthrax fan for life for both eras. John Bush became my favorite singer of all time . For this and much more I cheers for this masterpiece of metal.

One of the milestone albums for sure... one of the first CDs I bought when I was what, fucking fifteen. Those times cranking it up almost nonstop on a summer trip with my schoolmates...

Listen to this one at least once every couple of months.