hard time with laptop

ashgallows

resonant manipulator
Oct 22, 2007
Culver City
www.myspace.com
I cannot seem to find a pc laptop that either has a 6 pin firewire port for protools or a pcmia slot for the belkin adaptor. are any of you using a non apple laptop to do your recording? If so please tell me whats working for ya

I have a HP laptop with a built-in firewire port. Most the HP's I looked at when I bought it had them. I haven't recorded with it using the firewire port though, so I'm afraid I can't help you there.
-Steve

What ProTools hardware are you using? MBox?

If it's a Digi/M-Audio interface with an adapter then you can still use the 4-pin firewire hookup, just get a 6-pin -> 4-pin firewire cable. AFAIK the extra two pins are basically for bus-powering. The MBox is bus-powered though so you would need the 6-pin hookup.

~e.a

it's a digi 002 rack. it only takes a 6 pin firewire cable. I just looked and there is a cable the has 4 on one end and 6 on the other. Will this still work? Only reason i ask is digi is some finiky s&$% lol

The 002R has a power cord, so yes, you can use the 6->4-pin firewire cable and it should work perfectly fine.

~e.a

o.k. of course digi wont tell me without charging my f#$%ing card, but i did find a site that sells them and they noted that the 4-6 pin adaptor is what you need to do, so obviously they've tested this and it works. thanks all!