Hardcore song (like integrity, ringworm)

hidemerre

Nov 1, 2008
Madrid (Spain)
Hello, I have been doing mix tests in this song but I have enough problems with the guitars .............

have been recorded by an engl powerball, a cab 4x12 Marshall v30 and a sm 57. All guitars doubled and panned right70 and left70

all direct to this one m - audio fast track ultra 8r ............

Some help to improve the guitars ...................

Thanks to all.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1990692/hopeless engl mix - Salida - Stereo Out.mp3

first of all pan the guitars hard left and right. the source material sounds really strange. do you still have any DI-Tracks of that guitar?

guitars sound like they're in a box. really muddy. try eq'ing them to get rid of the muddiness.

first of all pan the guitars hard left and right. the source material sounds really strange. do you still have any DI-Tracks of that guitar?

guitars sound like they're in a box. really muddy. try eq'ing them to get rid of the muddiness.

+1. Try reducing the boxy mids and bringing out some higher-frequency clarity by EQ'ing the guitars. I'm only guessing here so I might be way off, but you could try digging a rather deep hole at around 600Hz and try to boost from about 4kHz up, but don't overdo it or it'll start sounding thin and fizzy :)

Thanks for your answers .............

I don't have any DI tracks ........ I have only the tracks recorded across the sm57 mic......

might it to be that there is some cancellation of phase produced by the eq?

what seems to you?

Thanks

Hey I think you are doing way to much....esp. in the overall processing.

Just step back and start at zero:
For the oldschool vibe just use 2 takes. One 100R second 100L
Use a low-cut at 100hz and a high-cut at 12000hz and maybe cut some place for the snare

cheers