Hardcore

EternalEnemy

New Metal Member
Aug 2, 2004
Yeah, im sort of interested in knowing a little, not much but little, about hardcore.
So, tell me a few names of both old(Black Flag, Minor Threat) and new (Shai Hulud, or is that stuff post-hardcore?) styles. If you dont mind, discriminate the two.
And is the modern type of hardcore post-hardcore or just new hardcore? I seriously dont know, and im an ignorant fuck when it comes to hardcore, thats why i made this thread.

Oh and id like more of the most known bands, just to get to know to the genre. Maybe in 10-20 years i will ask for KVLT hardcore :p

np:Deströyer 666-Genesis To Genocide

Ok, well the classifications of hardcore (the sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub genres that go around) seem to be quite different depending on what part of the country you're in. Now, I'm somewhat new to the hardcore scene myself, but Maryland, being close to DC has a pretty strong hardcore following. For info about the old hardcore, here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_punk that'll tell you everything you want to know, if you feel like reading. Now there is plenty of new hardcore, running along side with post-hardcore. From what I know, post-hardcore is somewhat softer, with more emo tendencies. Hardcore itself seems to be getting harder and harder, fusing with Metalcore. Some really great hardcore/metalcore/mathcore bands of now are: As I Lay Dying, Norma Jean, Bleeding Through, Converge. Converge isn't exactly new, they've been around since 1994, and pioneered the current mathcore sound, along with the Dillinger Escape Plan. They are also quite abrasive, but enjoyable. For some older style, but still modern hardcore, listen to the first two albums by Underoath. However, these albums only sold about 5,000 copies each, and aren't sold anymore, so they might be somewhat hard to find. Their newer albums still have some hardcore, but sound much more produced, and have quite a bit of emo quality to em (I like them anyway) Keep in mind that whenever I say "old" and "new" I'm still referring to a period of only maybe 10 years. Also, a high percentage of hardcore bands these days are christian. Personally, I get the feeling that hardcore is the anti-metal. Thrash Metal was the first time metal got mixed with punk and spawned a new genre. The new style of hardcore is the re-mixing of metal and punk, but in a different way. Anyway, I'm blabbering too much, take what you can from all this.

Hardcore is an offshoot from punk. Earlier hardcore bands were more simple and sounded similar like high tuned guitars and that similar shout like Discharge and Biohazard for example. There are a lot more branches of hardcore bands now. Now metallic-sounding hardcore (Hatebreed and Throwdown etc), metalcore (The Dillinger Escape Plan and Lamb of God), and emo metalcore (As I Lay Dying) are becoming mainstream and it said between metallers as the new nu-metal.

one album sums pretty much everything up

it's the definitive harcore masterpiece so, people, make sure you check Refused's The Shape of Punk to Come (1997 and still kicking !) :D

Refused is definatly a must on that. I will also add a few of some of my favorites:
Raised Fist
Nerve Agents
Those two are a newer bunch of bands, but not in the sense of the hardcore metal bands all the rage now, these bands still kept their punk roots. Some old school bands to check out
Circle Jerks
Bad Brains
Bad Religion
Enjoy.

im 34 now and growing up in ny city i was raised with hardcore.lots of good bands over the years. some are still around some aren't. I recommend the following:
sheer terror
sick of it all
cro-mags
murphy's law
agnostic front
gorilla biscuits
madball
killing time
slapshot
youth of today
to name a few.it's just my opinion but i couldn't disagree more that refused is any good.

Some stuff that is definatly essential would be:

Heresy
the Accused
Attitude Adjustment
Cryptic Slaughter
Septic Death (Pushead, artist of Metallica, Exploited, etc artwork fame was their lead singer, Kirk and James of Metallica also did some session work on a few releases.)
Verbal Abuse (Slayer had a few covers of 'em)
Infest
Spazz
Siege
even early Napalm Death was pretty hardcore, I just picked up their From Enslavement to Obliteration demo (1986, not to be confused with the later lp of the same title), and it is some great 'west midlands thrashcore' as they called it.

All of this stuff is fast and moreso along the original lines of hardcore (ie: fast angry punk) although some of it has the more thrash/crossover influence as well.

nyhc7163 said:
im 34 now and growing up in ny city i was raised with hardcore.lots of good bands over the years. some are still around some aren't. I recommend the following:
sheer terror
sick of it all
cro-mags
murphy's law
agnostic front
gorilla biscuits
madball
killing time
slapshot
youth of today
to name a few.it's just my opinion but i couldn't disagree more that refused is any good.

I'm 33 .. so we probably went to the same shows back in the day.. i used to go to Sundance in Bayshore Long island... for thrash bands as well as hardcore bands.. most of the bands you mentioned i seen.. though not all... of the ones you mentioned... Murphy's Law is definetly my favorite... another band that was kind of obscure that i liked was Six and Violence... also you might like Crumbsuckers though they are hard to classify.... i loved their B.O.M.B. (Beast on my Back) album though their first album was good too ... also just to let some of the ones that dont know... DRI was hardcore at first but after the album Crossover they were more of a Thrash band... seen them live many of times and love them... i especially love their Four of a Kind album...

i'm not sure if hardcore revolves around that "straight edge" lifestyle, kinda like reforming your bad ways into a clean positive life - or just one faction of hardcore back in the 80s. perhaps thats why there's a lot of christian acts?

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
I'm 33 .. so we probably went to the same shows back in the day..
Im 18, and extremly jealous of you, if I could go to any of the hardcore shows of the 80's I would have. Most people of my age don't even know what hardcore is anymore (ie: girl hair, girl pants, floorpunching, pink belts, emo).

7 Angels 7 Plagues
Today Is The Day
Daughters
Curl Up And Die
Pig Destroyer
DILLINGER MOTHERFUCKING ESCAPE PLAN, GODDAMMMIT!!!
Crowpath
Ed Gein
Prayer For Cleansing
The Chariot
The Sawtooth Grin
&
The End

My summation of extreme metal-tinged hardcore over the last 3/4 decade.
You're welcome.

yes! I remenber the sundance on main street i think? in bayshore I lived out in shirley (eastern suffolk county) for years.I have been to those shows there and would go to the matinees at cb's on sunday.lots of great sundance memories of both thrash and hardcore.I had never seen six and violence though but i heard they were great. I did see d.r.i. there,murphy's law among many others. the crumbsuckers are great. i recently got the 'life of dreams" album on c.d. after having it on cassette back in the day.we probably rubbed elbows in the pit on more than one occasion!