Hardcore

ThousandBeingPlague said:
Im 18, and extremly jealous of you, if I could go to any of the hardcore shows of the 80's I would have. Most people of my age don't even know what hardcore is anymore (ie: girl hair, girl pants, floorpunching, pink belts, emo).

Yeah back then Hardcore was Hardcore... today there is so many sub-genre's that it's being diluted... I started going to shows when i was 16 (in the late 1980's)... i saw D.R.I. (though they played thrash more then hardcore at that point but i loved it), Sick of it All, Murphy's Law, Six and Violence etc...

Hardcore, thrash, it all seems relative to me. I mean bands like the Accused and Attitude Adjustment all just seem to fuse it together seemlessly. I usually just call lots of thrashy crossover stuff hardcore, and I also just call lots of hardcore fast punk because isn't that exactly what it is:D ?

I don't understand how people could call this new wave shit hardcore. The only stuff worthy of the title of hardcore is composed of the bands who played it the way it was played before Refused took a big, steaming dump all over it.

nyhc7163 said:
yes! I remenber the sundance on main street i think? in bayshore I lived out in shirley (eastern suffolk county) for years.I have been to those shows there and would go to the matinees at cb's on sunday.lots of great sundance memories of both thrash and hardcore.I had never seen six and violence though but i heard they were great. I did see d.r.i. there,murphy's law among many others. the crumbsuckers are great. i recently got the 'life of dreams" album on c.d. after having it on cassette back in the day.we probably rubbed elbows in the pit on more than one occasion!

No doubt we probably slammed into each other a time or two in Sundance back in the day lol ... i was usually drunk though... busted my knees and bruised my toes when i staged jumped when Slayer/Biohazard/White Zombie played in 1990... was during Bio's set.. no one caught me and i landed on the cement... ouch..... got me out of gym for a month though lol ... :loco:

oh man that sux(no one caught ya)! i was at that show! the place was packed-oversold big time.
rob zombie was like "our next song south of heaven go!"lol.crowd was brutal,everyone just seemed to only be able to lean and kind of sway during slayers set. awesome show but i have seen each band as im sure you have when the venue wasn't insanely packed(much more enjoyable especially when people actually catch you after a stage dive!.)did you go to any of the morbid angel/biohazard shows summer 1990?I hung with guys in suffocation and went to more than a few death metal shows too.
Did you hear that d.r.i. are releasing re-issue's? 'crossover' is gonna be one em'! I need that bad boy again big time!

Oddly enough i never went to a Morbid Angel show back in the day in Sundance... wish i had.. i met a few bands like Nuclear Assault, Ludichrist/Scatterbrain, CandleMass etc... Yeah i heard about the D.R.I. reissue's.. im only interested in Crossover and the albums after that one... so i plan to get them if they do especially Four of a Kind...

yeah the shows were good but I hear ya. there is a bunch iv'e missed kreator,youth of today and testament to name a few.they say crossover is one for sure i would imagine four of a kind as its the next in order if they do them that way.I had seen ludichrist and then later scatter brain.I had seen them at the show walking around.didn't get a chance to meet em' but they seemed cool.i got a copy of ludichrists immaculate deception from a friend after not having that for years.nuclear assault are awesome i hadn't seen them live either i would have loved to. the "game over" l.p. is classic!

if your a guitar player youd like trivium. They are hardcore, but most death and/or black metalheads dont like em. My favorite band is nile and i still enjoy the occational trivium. Im not big on the style of music though.

I'll add a few more...did I mention FLIPPER...heh....howza'bout..Bad Posture..early GangGreen .. VOID .. SSD .. Government Issue .. The Mentors

seems like there arent any bands that are JUST hardcore. I like a lot of bands that are part hardcore, though.

CONVERGE
Dillinger escape plan
Darkest Hour
Pig destroyer
Zombie Apocalypse
Shai Hulud
Refused
Ringworm
Old Man gloom
Botch
one king down
Neurosis

one idea i recomend would be to check out Not So Quiet On The Western Front it features 47 bands on alternative tentacles records.came out in the 80's but it was reissued.

I actually had a few questions on this:

What genre does Dillinger Escape Plan actually fall under. I've heard some say grindcore, others say hardcore, and a few say "math"core? (something like that)
So what genre is it actually?

Same goes for Pig Destroyer, I thought they were grind?

Father Belial said:
I actually had a few questions on this:

What genre does Dillinger Escape Plan actually fall under. I've heard some say grindcore, others say hardcore, and a few say "math"core? (something like that)
So what genre is it actually?

Same goes for Pig Destroyer, I thought they were grind?
a bit of an outsider looking in perspective here(I'd go so far as to say I hate most of the punk subgenres, however thats just my personal preference)... I'd catagorize Pig Destroyer as Grind because of the imagery as well as some of the vocals(grind always had a hardcore element to it anyways)..
Converge I'd just classify as Metalcore (though I've seen arguments that Mathcore refers to a technically focused sub-subgenre, sort of like Tech Death)... when they come up with all this stuff like Deathcore, Mathcore its mostly just shit to try and make their band stand out, sort of like how some Black Metal bands will refer to what they play as Battle Metal(or how Immortal insist they didn't wear corpse paint they had "war paint"), or how Dissection refers to their music as Metal of Death. Basically its just semantics in most cases.

If you only listen to one hardcore band in your life, I'd recommend "Killing With A Smile" by Parkway Drive. If you only ever go to one hardcore show in your life, make sure Parkway Drive are playing.

IMO, they are the best hardcore act in the world (they surpass even the mighty Evergreen Terrace) for main reasons 1) Awesome riffage 2) Some of the slickest vocals around (even if the lyrics are occasionally weak) 3) The ability to amp up any crowd and 4) BEST EVER BREAKDOWNS!!!! (Don't beleive me that they are the best? Gimme A D, around the 50 second mark. Crowds go nuts...). A lot of you may not have heard of them. Why? Well, the Australian hardcore scene is pretty parochial. But to give you an indicator of how good Parkway are, they are sitting at number 41 in the Australian mainstream charts. Competing against teenie-bopper crap, thats quite an acheivement.

Anyways, there's my 2 c worth....

I'll admit core bands aren't all that bad live... perhaps I haven't heard the right stuff, these are the ones I've seen live for Core and related emoish bands...
Premonitions of War
Systematic Suicide
The Risk Taken
Dead To Fall
Anti Love
Silent Drive
The Chariot
Every Time I Die
The Red Chord
Bane
Haste The Day
Seemless
The Final Battle
The Finite
ADAI
Cannae

I've also heard
Converge
Hatebreed
Dillinger Escape Plan
Poison The Well
Thursday
The Black Dahlia Murder
Hawthorne Heights
Isis
Botch
Glass Casket
Shadows Fall
Killswith Engage
Unearth
and more

Am I missing any particular branch of Core? or is it like I've figured not something for me... I listen to all sorts of Metal, Drone, Industrial, Noise, Classical and Jazz