hardest song ever?

That liquid tension experiment did a song called some thing to do with "power of the mind" or sommat like that and my band decided that was the hardest song ever and we would try and learn it. Punish my heaven by dark tranquillity is kinda hard because its got so many parts, its like remembering phone book numbers at random trying to learn it!

Ammeter said:
Man thats an awesome band. What a shame they aren't planning any more albums!!! Know of any others like them?

well...err...dream theater for one

my vote goes for Fandango by Pain of Salvation. Mostly in the timing, but pulling that off with a whole band would be awfully hard to do.

besides, LTE or DT is too obvious =).

fadingessence said:
well...err...dream theater for one

my vote goes for Fandango by Pain of Salvation. Mostly in the timing, but pulling that off with a whole band would be awfully hard to do.

besides, LTE or DT is too obvious =).

Great choice, great song, and very difficult to pull off well with a full band. That chorus part about "you can't know before you live..." would be real weird, because they use such weird damn timings.....

Yeah, just for those who don't know, Liquid Tension Experiment was Dream Theater when they tried out their new pianist back in the day. Their last album Train of Thought has some really insane licks.
But you're right, it is kinda overstating the obvious as would be saying some Yngwie...
Anyway some not-so-metal but still really cool stuff that i find hard as shit is King Crimson's FracKtured, but for metal some of the hardest could be COB off of Hatebreeder and Follow The Reaper. Also some old Soilwork tunes (mostly the solos) can be fairly tricky, and all around cool as hell, i like Machingun Majesty alot :D
i'm basing most of these on guitar, for that's what I know best, anyways rock on

Dude.... I hate to be one who is scrupulus, but as long as Yngwie has been playing he is still one that is hard to touch, technically. On the other hand, players like Dvid Gilmour aren't technical but are so precise in their phrasings, you can't hardly copy it. There is no answer to the question, but if I have to give one, it would be Wolf Hoffmann od Accept. He was the ultimate "blue collar" guitarist. He did everything well. He mixed blues, classical as well as plain weird styles all into one. Nobody will ever be like Wolf.

Bryant

I am pretty weird guy when it's about playing songs of other bands...
I can pull out some really neat stuff but then again I stuck often on basic things...don't know...sometimes I just can't concentrate on rythm and overall song feeling/groove and some pretty simple songs actually start to be very hard and any normal person who is not involved in music would say:"Hey man,what's the problem,this doesn't sound complicated...". :Spin:
Actually it does.When it's about more complexed(than thrash)...polirythmic music where the bass is doing one things,one guitar another thing and second guitar raises/lowers the song tention...things can't get messy to track the beat...but then again...I can dig out most of today's metal solos,pretty fast and all of that...I remember myself having problems with some stuff from In Flames,Death,Cynic and from thrash domain,Annihilator mostly.But I got on top of it...it's just important to be persistant.
Personally I like very much catchy/groovie solos,that are not strickly covered in minor or major scales so I appreciate,for instance,Slayer's solos a lot...they are fast,caothic,non organized but perfectly fit to raise the atmosphere and tention of the song...
Of course,they are not the best but very liked by my taste... :)