hardest song ever?

Not a lot of people know this guy but his stuff is amazing and incredibly difficult, Jason Becker. Check out the title track from Perpetual Burn, terrible 80's cd cover but unbelievable shred techniques. The backing guitarist is Marty Friedman from MEgadeth (compared to this stuff he was playing toned down easy stuff on Rust In Peace!). You can get a few free sample downloads from www.jasonbecker.com (go to the Perpetual Burn cd area.

maybe not the hardest song ever, but (as everyone seems to be talking about solo-stuff only) some pretty damn-hard rythm-work:

Iced Earth - Stromrider

I wasn't "perfectly" clear why I think Wolf is the "hardest" to play. All of the elite guitarists can play emotic and technical. What seperates Wolf from the others to me is how many notes in a solo he uses expression on, be it right handed (say a pinch harmonic) or left handed (like vibrato.) Wolf sticks with natural minor more often than not and doesn't really do any strange earth-shattering stuff like complicated appregios, but though I can play many of his solos "cleanly" I can't even dream about coming close to putting those extra touches of expression he puts in. Much of his work on the "Metal Heart" and Russian Roulette" releases is incredible. At first listen, his stuff doesn't jump out at you as being a cosmic revolution, but if you listen carefully to how well he constructs his solos and how much he puts into soooo many notes in that solo, he becomes pretty damned tough to duplicate. If there is anyone here that can play his better solos and match the expression he uses on all those notes, they are considerably more advanced than I am and I have been playing 20 years. Wolf is 'da bomb !!

Bryant

Opus(sy) said:
Hmmm well i agree with Bryant on this one, nobody can touch Malmsteen. I havent heard any Wolf Hoffman though, i'll try and download some...

I'm not sure if I'd agree that Yngwie is 'untouchable' especially in his writing skills, and when he plays live it sort of sounds like he has a backup guitarist playing. He's not versatile at all and he almost always uses eb minor. Sure he plays fast as hell but its not that hard to do if you work at it. I'm a mediocre guitarist at best and Triology Suite didn't take me that long to learn.

FauxPerspicacity said:
I'm not sure if I'd agree that Yngwie is 'untouchable' especially in his writing skills, and when he plays live it sort of sounds like he has a backup guitarist playing. He's not versatile at all and he almost always uses eb minor. Sure he plays fast as hell but its not that hard to do if you work at it. I'm a mediocre guitarist at best and Triology Suite didn't take me that long to learn.
Well I have seen Yngwie live a few times. Many years back, he was considerably better than he is now, and I do agree that he is a "one-trick pony" but he is the master at what he does. If you can play his stuff I consider you to be an advanced guitarist. I don't have the left hand speed to play most of his stuff, but (despite being a left-handed writer and playing guitar right-handed) my particular style favors right hand technique. I don't find music theory interesting in the least bit, so I am not as versed as many guitarists with my playing experience in the area of odd scales and modes etc. so I have supplimented those deficiencies with technique other than "that stuff."
The fact I can't play Yngwie's stuff leads me to believe he is still a technical wizard but the fact is, he was so good at what he did/does that he turned me off from that genre. After his first release, I didn't hear much "soul" in his playing and don't hear it much in the other neoclassical players. "Soul" can't be taught and it is something that develops along with technique. Yngwie couldn't play a blues lick that sounds good to save his life though he tries and tries. I truly think that those guitarists that blend soul with technique are the ones that are most difficult to duplicate.
Having said all of that, one of the reasons I still consider Yngwie a top guitarist is because he is the last "standout" that music has seen. You had people like Hendrix, Rhoads, Van-Halen, Malmsteen. Malmsteen was a teen when he was in Steeler etc. and a young man when he started Rising Force which was over twenty years ago, but who is his heir ?

Bryant