Crazy Rythm Guitar

Jul 19, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Which songs or bands do you think have the best, or most impressive rythm work? Im looking for some really difficult rythm work to challenge me... I dont know what the hardest rythm work would be, but I have to say Holy Wars by Megadeth gets my vote for coolest... and its also pretty damn hard.

Try some Psycroptic or Necrophagist songs (death metal bands). It is damn technical, more than Holy Wars. I've never tried to play their songs, but I am able to play Holy Wars quite easily (I am not telling you that you suck cause you're finding it hard)... but some Psycroptic would probably give me some problems.

Also, try some Wintersun or Ensiferum. Jari is just insane on the picking for the rythm work. I really appreciate his work, AND it is quite impressiv.

But if you only want to listen to Megadeth or that kind of metal, I don't know many bands... but I agree that the songs on Rust In Peace are damn cool, and quite difficult for the genre.

Meshuggah riffs are pretty simple on the fingers but pretty hard on the mind :)
Some Carcass is pretty tough.
Older Megadeth gives me troubles specifically the Rust in Peace album, Holy Wars aint too bad compared to Lucretia, Take no Prisoners IMO.
Lamb of God stuff is pretty fast and fun but not extremely difficult, however some of the string skipping riffs they do on songs on Ashes of the Wake are tough.

Likely none of these are tough for really good guitarists but I'm not veteran so they're challenging for me.

Meshuggah has some good rhythm stuff - Lamb of God and Shadws Fall have some stuff that will give you a good workout while also keeping a nice flow and feel to the rhythms as well.

Play along with the whole "Master of Puppets" album too - I use that for endurance training...

JB

Jeffy said:
Meshuggah riffs are pretty simple on the fingers but pretty hard on the mind :)
Some Carcass is pretty tough.
Older Megadeth gives me troubles specifically the Rust in Peace album, Holy Wars aint too bad compared to Lucretia, Take no Prisoners IMO.
Lamb of God stuff is pretty fast and fun but not extremely difficult, however some of the string skipping riffs they do on songs on Ashes of the Wake are tough.

Likely none of these are tough for really good guitarists but I'm not veteran so they're challenging for me.
Take no Prisoners scares me, :cry:

But Megadeth has some insane rhythm, I'd like to see Mustaine sing and play Take no Prisoners.

Megadeth is relatively simple IMO. I never really had much of a problem playing Megadeth songs. Necrophagist however writes some of the hardest to play rhythm parts ever. Spawn of Posession, Yattering, Theory in Practice, and other bands of similar nature also write some pretty hard to play riffs also. Not only do you need good technique and technical ability, but you also have to be able to count odd time sigs.

I know most of the band that were mentionned. But as I said and The ORIGINAL South Of Heaven said, Necrophagist and others of similar nature (Psycroptic) are definitly more technical than most of the bands that were mentionned. Not only more technical, but also fast, and everything else that makes a guitar riff good and hard to play hehe.

Rust In Peace had some scary rhythm parts, but "Peace Sells..." is filled with some insane riffs too.
One thing I have alwasy given Dave Mustaine credit for, he may not have the best voice, but I give him props for being able to play some insane riffs and do vocals at the same time. I'm still trying to practice that to "Good Morning/Black Friday"

"Killing is my Business" is actually sort of tough to nail at times, for me at least heh.

Metal is Religion said:
why has no one said Iced Earth? Night of the Stormrider and Something Wicked This Way Comes has some really tough strumming.

Hey, I wanted to mention those :tickled:
I really love to play Pure Evil from Night of The Storm Rider.
But that's me. Id don't play guitar, I play fingerstyle bass

Great topic! Rhythm is a section I should practise more! Some good examples of bands with very strong rhythmic sections are Hacride, Meshuggah, Necrophagist, Spiral Architect (this one is not very musical)

Holy Wars is pretty easy for me now... one that I just remembered no one mentioned was "The Art Of Shredding" by Pantera. Some of its fairly easy, but that main riff its pretty damn fast too. I can play that one, but if anyone happened to also be looking for stuff to learn, you might check that out. Alot of this stuff you guys are mentioning, like Necrophagist, sounds cool but I'm unable to find any of it... If anyone wants to send me these files on AIM or soulseek, PM me or IM me (The Deacon Dr. O)AIM)

The problem with death is that there arent too many tabs. Lack of Comprehension is on my list of songs to learn, though.

Martyr is a tech-death band that's heavily influenced by Death. Very "clean" sounding, not too much with the low-end. I bought 'Warp Zone' recently, and it's great. Their lead guy (lead guitar, vocals), Dan Mongrain was just on tour with Cryptopsy filling in for the other rhythm part since Jon left. They actually make tab books for both of their (Martyr's) albums, thought that was pretty neat.

Try some Demilich, some Gorguts, Defeated Sanity or even Suffocation is pretty tough. Mortal Decay has some nice riffs too, but not on par with Obscura era Gorguts tough or Demilich

A band no one mentioned (more along power-metal genre) is Angra. Due to the variety of styles they write their songs in, not all of their rythm stuff is real complicated, but when they do write technically impressive stuff, it is very pretty tough. Stylistically, they aren't one of my faves, and in fact they aren't one of my faves within the prog/power genre, but their two guitarists, Rafael Bettencourt and Kiko Loureiro are two of the best guitarists out there on rythm and lead, no one has ever heard of.

Bryant