Harmonized tracks panning question

insideac

Mar 3, 2008
Alright, lets say there are two guitar parts, harmonies, not copies of the same thing. If I was to have two takes of each guitar part, how would I pan the harmonies to sound clearer?

Harmony 1 - H1
Harmony 2 - H2

H1-100L/100R
H2-80L/80R

or

H1-100L/80L
H2-100R/80R

or what do you think would be best?

I have a lot of this on my current project.

What I'm doing is this. If the part is 75% or more of the same notes except for random harmonies (like chugga chugga harmony chugga) I just do each hard L + R (or each 80/100 if you're quading).

If both parts are completely different notes (aka harmonizing the whole time) I'll hard pan L+R a doubled take of whichever harmony is lower or sounds more like the rhythm and then center the higher/lead harmony. That way it doesn't thin out compared to other stuff and you hear the harmony on either side of the headphones if you take one ear out. Sounds great!

My usual starting point is H1 at 100L and 80R, H2 at 100R and 80L. Just seems to get things more balanced, to my ears.

I'm working on a project now actually that has a TON of harmonies, we are also doing two take per side for rhythms. Do you think I should track everything without harmonies first and then add them in? Or do the harmonies within the rhythm tracks?

I'm working on a project now actually that has a TON of harmonies, we are also doing two take per side for rhythms. Do you think I should track everything without harmonies first and then add them in? Or do the harmonies within the rhythm tracks?

If they are part of the rhythm guitars lines, I say keep them in.

I usually quad track (2 takes per side) and if the guitars have harmonized lines I just track the harmony both side of the stereo spectrum and then mix to my preference later. I split up the stereo image of the harmonies by using different amps and having the harmonies set a bit different in level.

H1 - 100% L - amp1
H2 - 100% L - amp 2 @ -4dB

H1 - 100% R - amp 1 @ -4dB
H2 - 100% R - amp 2

Ok, I'm still just a bit confused...

Sorry to keep dwelling on this but you guys are saying track all of the guitars with no harmonies: 4 takes total - 2 on either side. Then do two more tracks for the harmonies: one left, one right maybe bring them in a bit, maybe use a different amp.

Is that how you guys are doing it? I was originally just going to track the rhythms with the harmonies in there, so they would just show up on one side, whichever player actually does them when the song is performed live.

Ok, I'm still just a bit confused...

Sorry to keep dwelling on this but you guys are saying track all of the guitars with no harmonies: 4 takes total - 2 on either side. Then do two more tracks for the harmonies: one left, one right maybe bring them in a bit, maybe use a different amp.

Is that how you guys are doing it? I was originally just going to track the rhythms with the harmonies in there, so they would just show up on one side, whichever player actually does them when the song is performed live.

I say track BOTH the regular rhythm guitar tracks AND the harmony guitar tracks on each side and then blend to your pleasure. Most guys do one set of rhythms panned 100% L and R, and then the harmonies 80% L and R.

I do the main "root" not rhythms at 100% left and right, as well as the harmonies 100% L and R and use a combination of volume level and 2 different amps to increase spread and thickness without losing both the root notes and the harmony on either side.

Here's a clip as to how I do it. It's a demo/pre-prod deal for my band, so the mix isn't too great. I'm almost embarassed to post it, but it explains what I do personally. 4 tracks of guitars with the harmony on both sides, both panned 100% L and R, but there are 2 amps and the volumes are changed up for root and harmony on each side by about 2-3dB. Doesn't make a huge difference (and this particular example is just 4 instances of the ENgl e530 sim with different EQ), but just enough to keep the stereo spread and allow the harmony to be heard on both sides well. YMMV.

fast forward to around 1:24

http://geetarguy.tripod.com/facedownmixtest.mp3