Has it ever just "clicked"?

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
I was wondering, and although becoming a talented musician takes practice and dedication, sometimes things just "click". Of course, everyone has a bad day, sometimes whatever you play just sounds like shit, and you get pissed off after two hours of playing and stop for a day. Then you pick it back up the next day and play like a dream.

What I'm talking about is that sometimes you just hit a point in your playing where things just start to come together...all of a sudden. I literally woke up one day and was able to play speed metal. Granted, it wasn't that fast, but I've practiced and practiced for about 9 months and I'm pretty fast with my speed riffs. But what I noticed was that although I spent so much time on the guitar getting better, it never did anything until it just clicked one day. It didn't have to do with my practicing, because a day earlier I couldn't play it to save my life. I think that sometimes you might get stuck in a rut, and you can play and play and play, but until it passes on its own, yer stuck. For everyone, it's a matter of a slow buildup over time. But for me, that slow buildup sometimes doesn't go anywhere, and one day I just wake up and say, "I'm gonna play this song that I can't play", and I play it! Of course, it's not perfect, and THAT'S where the practicing comes in. I guess in my case I can get most of the parts down right off the bat, and a little practicing will pick up the fine tuning. It's almost like a rubber band; I practice and practice and practice, which stretches out the rubber band until it can't go any further. Just when I think it's going to break, I let go and it all pops inside, and I just get it...all of a sudden. Like in an hour. It's weird. Does anyone else have this experience?

Well, yeah...

One example: Like two months ago I had this lesson in which I had to play the pentatonic Scale all over the fretboad (6 notes per beat- 2 notes per string)

I was doing it at 7O/75 (with the metronome)and my teacher assinged it to me at 80. That day, I don`t know what happened, I counldn`t even play it at 65. The next class, we satrted really slow, like at 58/60, and I remember my teacher telling me: "OK. good,... let`s do it faster" like ten times...
After a while, he says... "well, you are about to break a record!!" I played it at 90!!!

I also has happened in other situations. But I guess it`s all in your mind (besides the practice) and that you should always be realxed, because when you can`t play sth we tend to get anxious and tense...and maybe that`s why then we can`t do it.

Sure, I've had that times when playing... have those good flow and bad suckage days...

The last big noticable click wasn't guitar playing wise, it was when I found my newest band... All the other people were just so cool and laid back, after a few weeks of jamming, it just felt like home. Hard to describe, but it's a wonderful thing when that happens. :)

Fuck yeah! Great thread!
One time i had played for a couple of hours, and I started jaming with a couple of friends. We where just kidding around and playing blues(i hate blues and never play it, it was just fun), and suddently things just clicked, and I managed a lot of shit that I couldent do before. And one time my drummer clicked. I was really so tired of this fucker because he sucked. But this one time it appeared as was on speed or something, it was fucking amazing, he was so fast. Next day he sucked. (He doesnt use speed)

I HAVEN'T HAD IT JUST CLICK WHEN I JOIN A BAND, PROBABLY BECAUSE I HAVEN'T JOINED A BAND YET. BUT I HAVE NOTICED ON OCASSION, I WILL PLAY REALLY SHITTY ONE DAY, THE NEXT DAY I MAKE A FULL SCALE IMPROVEMENT THAT IS NOTICEABLE.

DOES ANYONE CARE IF I USE A CAPSLOCK, ON CERTAIN OTHER SITES THEY GIVE ME SHIT FOR IT.

Years ago when I decided I wanted to play fast (was primarily acoustic and bassman, myself), my friend aaron gave me some alternate picking lessons, some examples of songs and stuff...well, I hate exercises so I basically smiled, said thanks and sat down with Children of Bodoms Hatebreeder album, Silent Night, Bodom Night in particular.

I couldn't play it for shit for a while. Hell, I got so sick of trying I went back to my metallica days and just played all the parts (wasn't attempting any of solos or really leady parts, just the single-note riffs in the intro, etc) just downpicked really fast. And that hurt. But one day it just..POOF! I could alternate pick, and do it pretty damn well.

The same thing happened for sweeps as well...I used to do all the sweep arpeggios in solos I was learning in an alternate picking fashion...Then about a month ago I went back and tried to play the leady parts to silent night, bodom night (lesson? Learn this song, hehe) sweeped and nailed 'em really well. Just gotta wait it out sometimes, it'll click one day.