has reaper got comping?

sash poask

Mar 24, 2008
so ive been using logic 8 since moving to mac, but i have kind of been missing reaper, so my question is, has reaper got comping?

this is one feature i am in love with in logic 8

haha, knew i should have explained it a bit..

well basically you select a region you want to record, say a riff or a solo or whatever, then you do say 3-5 takes(however many you want), and then you simply select the regions of certain takes to make a "perfect" take, if that makes sense? so you are not cutting anything in case you decide to use a different part of it later

hope that made some sense

Anytime you punch in to record in Reaper it creates a new take and it shows all the takes stacked in a lane, so you just click whichever one you want to be active and piece together the best takes from each part...

(ignore the region names, I imploded a drum track onto one track as takes just to demonstrate the idea, pretend they are all different passes of a guitar track or something)
takes.JPG

The only huge pain in the ass is that when punching in, each split point it fades out the previous item and fades in the next one instead of crossfading by default, so you have to go in and extend one of the items to put in your crossfades. If you are comping from whole takes though it'll auto crossfade at the splits just fine.

The only huge pain in the ass is that when punching in, each split point it fades out the previous item and fades in the next one instead of crossfading by default, so you have to go in and extend one of the items to put in your crossfades. If you are comping from whole takes though it'll auto crossfade at the splits just fine.

I'm pretty sure there is a way to change that so that it always crossfades..... I just don't know how to do it....

I'm pretty sure there is a way to change that so that it always crossfades..... I just don't know how to do it....

Nah you can't not with punchins anyways. You can set it to automatically crossfade when you split an item but that's it, I've asked about it extensively on the Reaper forum :/ Hopefully they include it in an update somewhere down the road.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to add a crossfade and grab the center of the crossfade and shift the split point between the two items left or right so I could either keep more of the previous item or shorten it, etc. while still maintaining the auto crossfade... Would speed up my workflow a TON to be able to punch-in, have the crossfade generated automatically and be able to trim down to the part I want to keep by only clicking an dragging once for each end!

thanks for the replies guys,

looks like its a bit of a pain at the moment, shame, it is done so flawlessly in logic, i guess ill just have to see if i can live without it

Oh man that lanes system looks nasty (just like the DAW it's ripped from :D). Wonder why nobody else does playlists.

i agree, i looked at that and instantly thought, 'nightmare'. lol.

shame it isn't implemented well just yet..

Reaper looks interesting, but it seems it has way too many sub-menus and cryptic options all hiding amongst the 1's and 0's of the program (if that makes sense) I.E - it doesn't seem like the designer is from the 'real world' of audio engineering, but i could be wrong.

Reaper seems very capable, but they need to implement some of it's features better and not make these sub-menus so cryptic and confusing.

I've never had any issues with the Reaper takes/lanes system? I don't have anything to compare it to though... Can someone point me to something that they think is better and explain why? I don't see what's so horrible about being able to see all your takes, split them and select the part you want from each one and then hit ctrl+L to collapse it into one lane, and hitting ctrl+L again to explode the takes and pick something else if you see fit...

I've never had any issues with the Reaper takes/lanes system? I don't have anything to compare it to though... Can someone point me to something that they think is better and explain why? I don't see what's so horrible about being able to see all your takes, split them and select the part you want from each one and then hit ctrl+L to collapse it into one lane, and hitting ctrl+L again to explode the takes and pick something else if you see fit...

+1

The Reaper system works great for me...

i agree, i looked at that and instantly thought, 'nightmare'. lol.

shame it isn't implemented well just yet..

Reaper looks interesting, but it seems it has way too many sub-menus and cryptic options all hiding amongst the 1's and 0's of the program (if that makes sense) I.E - it doesn't seem like the designer is from the 'real world' of audio engineering, but i could be wrong.

Reaper seems very capable, but they need to implement some of it's features better and not make these sub-menus so cryptic and confusing.

I don't really understand what you mean here... Reaper doesn't really have many sub-menus, and none of it is particularly cryptic or hard to understand at all. It takes me a cursory look and maybe a little experimentation to figure out exactly what any option does. And I've never even read the manual, I'm sure it'd be even easier if I had.

Nah you can't not with punchins anyways. You can set it to automatically crossfade when you split an item but that's it, I've asked about it extensively on the Reaper forum :/ Hopefully they include it in an update somewhere down the road.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to add a crossfade and grab the center of the crossfade and shift the split point between the two items left or right so I could either keep more of the previous item or shorten it, etc. while still maintaining the auto crossfade... Would speed up my workflow a TON to be able to punch-in, have the crossfade generated automatically and be able to trim down to the part I want to keep by only clicking an dragging once for each end!

I think what you want is done in Reaper by simply pressing Shift and click and drag the cross-fade, but i may have understood wrong...

For me the problem with Reaper is that it is crashing alot, i have tracked the drums for my band in a single project and sometimes when editing and zooming it just crashes... It seems it only happens with really big projects but it's a pain in the ass anyway especially because i really like Reaper.

well in logic 8, its quite similar, but it does the crossfades automatically, so all you do is literally drag select all the little bits you want, and hey presto you have your perfect take

well in logic 8, its quite similar, but it does the crossfades automatically, so all you do is literally drag select all the little bits you want, and hey presto you have your perfect take

It does the crossfades automatically in Reaper too, the only time it doesn't autocrossfade is at the beginning and end of a punch in in the middle of another section. Any time you split at a point to select part of a different take though it crossfades on it's own.