Hate to tell u but slayer is mainstream

Originally posted by Nicotine_Gum
dude, im sorry, but how can you say pantera is mainstream, they have kept the same sound throughout their albums, except for maybe cowboys from hell<first "offical" album>. slayer yes has become mainstream, metallica well ya...........but pantera come on? explain to me y u think their mainstream so i can see ur view.

Their albums chart on Billboard. They've sold millions. They tour arenas (half empty, but still...)

dude, im sorry, but how can you say pantera is mainstream, they have kept the same sound throughout their albums, except for maybe cowboys from hell<first "offical" album>. slayer yes has become mainstream, metallica well ya...........but pantera come on? explain to me y u think their mainstream so i can see ur view.

For me, Pantera is the ultimate in sellout. This is a band that once wore lipstick and wanted chicks to lick their ice cream cones...I know, I had to sit through that drivel in '89. Then they go "hardcore" metal...give me a fuckin' break! ? They couldn't make it in glam, then switched where the fans and $$ were at...that spells sellout! Is the music good? Yeah, up to Vulgar Display of Power, but after that it does nothing for me, but oh well. I give them credit on their sound; I just raise issue with how they got there....

Slayer's new CD is damn good, and I don't understand why people call them sellouts. It's still heavy, true to form, and uncompromising, but hell, that's only my opinion. I fail to Slipsnot anywhere. What do I know? I've only been into them for close to 20-years.

I know I'll get flamed for the Pantera remark, but sorry, that band and Selloutica are just plain wrong when speaking of "true" metal in its purest form. Any purist would agree with me.

Sorry if this offends any Pantera fans...remember it's an opinion.
I usually get along with you lot pretty well...so peace!!

Originally posted by Sadistik

Because they are a bunch of glam pussies who only became metal to cash in. They are all rich boys (really) pretending to be down home country biys by acting like brain dead hicks and marketing to the SLipknot/no-metal crowd by playing shitty music that hasn't sounded good since roughly 1992. Thats why they are mainstream. Fucking hicks.

That is interesting that you say they (or this could apply to any band) became metal so they could cash in. Most people on this board are always talking about how bands are not true metal bands anymore. I don't know of many bands who are getting their songs on the radio and getting exposure and then saying hmmm...we should become a metal band and make a lot more money.

Originally posted by loudsilence
That is interesting that you say they (or this could apply to any band) became metal so they could cash in. Most people on this board are always talking about how bands are not true metal bands anymore. I don't know of many bands who are getting their songs on the radio and getting exposure and then saying hmmm...we should become a metal band and make a lot more money.

Somebody in that band obviously read the lay of the land and knew where music was going... something that 1000 other bands and most record executives at the time hadn't a clue about. Any band that goes gold in this country (or is it platinum by now?) with an album that has Fucking Hostile on it has something going for it, that's for sure.

SLAYER FUCKIN RULES........that said there all close to almost 40 (tom is already) and they still put on an amazing show.(there is nothing better then screaming along the lyrics to angel of death at a show) . i actually like GHUA , granted its not like there past records but its still angry and its still slayer. But of course its bandwagon time for alot of people....all aboard the slayer bashing bandwagon. its kool to bash slayer these days!

I don't care what type of genre a band is. If I like them for what they sound like, it's good. There are lots of mainstream bands that I hate, to name a few: Slipknot and System of a Down. Those bands are annoying. Please, rid them off this Earth. I can't believe American Head Charge toured with them. Although AHC's new album isn't all that great.

If they wanted to try to sound like nu-metal, I don't care. They can do whatever they like. I just don't see how they sound like nu-metal or rap... I wouldn't care if they started playing britpop. I will still listening to their older albums which still remain as excellent music regardless of what they currently do...

It is understood cause slayer is nothing but a cult band. What you say would only apply if they died after their great albums but their dont so the whole 20 years looks like they just wanted to be a cult band and right now they saw a chance to get even bigger catching the numetal wave.

Same goes for glamtera. Believe it or not, when pantera released cowboys from hell and other stuff metal WAS bigger than today and it was getting even bigger, it was a good time and they did saw an oportunity there thats why they metalized their glam on cowboys from hell and after watching the huge success ( i mean come on tales from the crypt was BIG back then it tells you just how soon pantera exploted in sales ) they just got rid completly of the power/glam thing ( specially noticeable in anselmo i mean the guy actually did SOME vibrato clean voice really high pitched on cowboys then he pretended he didnt. Back then it was pantera, it was machine head, it was fear factory, it was the 90s metal movement strong as it got, it took a fall and was killed in 94 by korn. But if korn wouldnt had showed up to ruin everything with gay vocals and other annoying but very image driven therefore trend starting elemets today's mtv numetal bands to a much lesser grade maybe but still would be pantera, fear factory, machine head ( the way it started im only counting burn my eyes ) and a lot of other bands on that style. It wouldnt be as big as nu-metal but it would be very very popular compared to all the underground tr00 metal acts of today.

just cause pantera sold a few records and made some money you label them as "sell outs" what is your definition of a sell out anyway? someone who makes a lil' cash for doing what they love. and so what if they are hicks, for fucks sake they are from texas, except for phil, he's from the swamps in louisana. another thing, they didn't make any fucking money until far beyond driven, that's when the band had been together for more than 10 years. cowboys from hell only sold 100,000 copies and vulgar barely went gold, so to label them as a sell out is just wrong. they continue to play the same hard heavy music they have always played with wicked solos and hard riffs.

heh i didnt think so many people would reply to a mistake from pressing send reply to new thread. slayer is overrated and trendy now. i dont care about mainstream but if it affects an originally good band fuck it. BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!???????????????????. wtf are you thinking slayer has betrayed the fans awaiting a new reign in blood but what did we get we got post mortim limp bizkit and slipknot. i sold that album on ebay after one whole listen and wondered. what is happening so i played reign in blood and i laughed at the difference.

I side with Bumblefoot on this one. It's not really the genre of music that makes me dislike it. It's the content. I'll try anything once.

Misanthrope - Korn didn't ruin everything, per se, they just lowered the bar around the time of their second album. I happen to enjoy the first Korn CD immensly. Now, define exactly what kind of bands "ruined everything." I guess I'm just not understanding this whole Nu-Metal stuff. I listen to it, but I don't get why you say the ruined everything. Don't forget them bands that are keepin' it real, man. Opeth, Dimmu, In Flames, etc. Read my sig., it shows that not all are coming down. :headbang:

just cause pantera sold a few records and made some money you label them as "sell outs" what is your definition of a sell out anyway? someone who makes a lil' cash for doing what they love.

Nope, because they once wore fuckin mascara and eye shadow...case closed.

they continue to play the same hard heavy music they have always played with wicked solos and hard riffs.

Uh, no, this is incorrect...they have NOT played the same "heavy riffs..." They once played half-assed glam bullshit with lyrics that make Poison and Steelheart look like Destruction and Possessed.

They are, in fact, sellouts because they jumped ship on their particular genre for greener pastures since the "fad" died out. That's inexcusable, I don't care what they've done since.

Just my clarification.

Ok heres the deal, everyone cross their fingers that Opeth NEVER become popular or make any money. If they do we will simply bash them and call them sell outs. Its the fucking truth! People might start to say because the play acoustic guitars in a metal song that it means they sound like fucking Willie Nelson.

Originally posted by blakmetalemp
Ok heres the deal, everyone cross their fingers that Opeth NEVER become popular or make any money. If they do we will simply bash them and call them sell outs. Its the fucking truth! People might start to say because the play acoustic guitars in a metal song that it means they sound like fucking Willie Nelson.

No, not necessarily. Opeth began its career in that very fashion; it wasn't a quantum leap from a completely meritless type of rock to extreme metal. What Opeth does they have been doing since the beginning...they only get better.

The very same can be said of Nevermore. This is a band that started out as Sanctuary, which was metal, and they have simply gotten better without selling out. I sincerely hope that Opeth and Nevermore do get more success and are able to one day play decent venues rather than shitholes like Riley's Rock House in Aurora, Illinois and the Hard Rock Cafe.

I'm not bashing Pantera per se; I'm bashing the way they've achieved their fanbase now. I think they are phonies and I don't agree with them, but that's only my opinion. I don't expect anyone to follow my lead...real metalheads think for themselves! However, I've heard them called the "saviors of metal," which is not only perposterous, but plain wrong considering the band's distant history.

Not meaning to offend anyone...just my nickel's worth.