Have any guitar fans (or guitarists) ever listened to any George Benson ?

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I like Sade and Alicia Keys, but for the most part, I really don't "get" jazz, even smooth jazz. However, I am absolutely dumbfounded at how George Benson plays guitar. It sounds like the guy has never played a bad note in his life. While listening to him, you can sense that he is an innovator, certainly, but it is more note selection than anything I am amazed at. I think of myself as having at least a rudimentary knowledge of scales and modes, but George puts emphasis on notes I simply wouldn't think of doing (not that I can play jazz well to begin with.) He is sort of like the Viv Campbell (Dio era) or George Lynch of jazz with some of his note emphasis, only better..... and of course that is a huge compliment.

Bryant

If you're digging George Benson, trace back a little bit in jazz guitar history, and look into Wes Montgomery. Who was a major influence on Benson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Jimi Hendrix, David Becker, Joe Diorio, Steve Lukather, Pat Martino and countless other guitarist. And to go even further back, look into Charlie Christian.... :)

If you're digging George Benson, trace back a little bit in jazz guitar history, and look into Wes Montgomery. Who was a major influence on Benson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Jimi Hendrix, David Becker, Joe Diorio, Steve Lukather, Pat Martino and countless other guitarist. And to go even further back, look into Charlie Christian.... :)

I definitely know the name Wes Montgomery, but can't say I am extremely familiar with his work. I you tubed a few of his songs. You are right about his influence on Benson. I can hear a whole lot of Montgomery in George's playing.
Jazz is something that doesn't come natural to me. I doubt I will explore it much in my playing, but I like to listen to it occasionally.

Bryant