Most personally influential guitarists?

My personal influences are

Scott Ian/Danny Spitz--made me want to pick up a guitar
James Hetfield
Dave Mustaine
Jim Matheos/Frank Aresti (Fates Warning)
Rob Cavestany
Adrian Smith

the E Town Concrete / Downset / Body Count dudes

Dude did you seriously just list Body Count? That's awesome. "Cop Killer" was one of the first albums I ever owned. I can play the lead from "There goes the neighborhood" note for note. Sad.

In order of WHEN i was being influenced by them(Starting when i picked up the guitar, ending @ today.).

1. Zakk Wylde
2. Angus Young
3. Dimebag Darrell
4. Eddie Van Halen
5. George Lynch

In this part you can see my strongest vs. weakest influence at the time:

1. George Lynch
2. Diamond Darrell(Yah, 80's pantera upp your ass!)
3. Eddie Van Halen
4. Zakk Wylde
5. Angus Young

.. but do i sound like either of them? No.

i really like hetfields rythm stuff, so or so i am a rythm guy, can't play solos at all.
when it comes to solos i have to say it's kirk, he played some really nice stuff, i love the melodies,
in most other cases solos are just tannoying, this "blllrll lrlrrll brllll lrrrbbb" stuff, fast and technically cool,
but i think stuff like this is good for practice not for "music"

S.

Hey thanks man, I really love those guys.

I see that you listed Ken Andrews of Failure to your list. Yeah, not metal at all but he's done some amazing sounding stuff and is a master at texturing. I've stolen a little bit here and there from Failure for sure!

Yeah Failure is awesome. "Stuck On You" is a really great song, and the ridiculously clever lyrics only make it better. Did you hear the Paramore cover? The original is of course better, but I like Paramore, and I feel like they did the song pretty good justice.

For those of you who don't know, the song is about getting a song stuck in your head, but it all reads like it could be a love song about a person, too. Very clever ;)

Dude, they have a power ballad about smoking crack. It doesn't get much better than that.

Dude, don't even get me started on how awesome the first Body Count disc is. There's nothing better than being a white suburban 12-year-old, walking around singing Ice-T lyrics about being in prison and freebasing.

OK i'm done now...back to that whole "influential guitarists" thing.......

Dude, don't even get me started on how awesome the first Body Count disc is. There's nothing better than being a white suburban 12-year-old, walking around singing Ice-T lyrics about being in prison and freebasing.

OK i'm done now...back to that whole "influential guitarists" thing.......

haha :)

That's how i learnt English slang before the very basics :)

DRUGS ! LIQUOR ! DRUGS !

When the evil dick has its ways, it sounds a little like this...

Back to the topic i like Ernie C as a guitar player.

What got me started playing guitar (my answers will speak to my age :headbang: )?

Obvious: Hetfield and Hammett (Kill `Em All started me down the six string road).

Tony Iommi - he is THE metal god (like Rob Zombie said in "Metal: A Headbangers Journey" - Iommi has already written every heavy riff already, we are all just copying him in some way or another).

Not so obvious: John Ricci of Exciter - that buzzsaw guitar tone and Dan Beehler's drums and vocals on "Heavy Metal Maniac" just made me want to thrash away on the guitar, oh, and break shit!

There are others, but those three made me want to play back in 1983.

Jind

I try to take some influence from everyone I hear. Especially if they play a style that I'm not drawn to play. It's not that I want to play like them but I want to acquire some idea or way of thinking to meld into myself. So I know that I've integrated, off the top of my head:

Brian May (Queen): orchestral guitar playing/layering
Steve Rothery (Marillion): playing simple lines and textures
Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top): melody and touch
Yngwie: I want to be the blend of YJM's blazing fire with Billy Gibbons tasty smolder
Scott Ian: The thunderous right hand
Alan Holdsworth: chording mostly
George Lynch: solo composition and the "out" 5b/7# use in a minor progression
Marty Friedman: "out" notes and rhythmic stuff in soloing
Luc Lemay (Gorguts): dissonance in rhythm playing