Most Underrated Metal Guitarists?

JoshDRAH

Aug 6, 2007
Who do you think are some of the most underrated or underappreciated metal guitarists out there today?

Awhile back I would of said Jeff Loomis, but he seems to be getting a lot more popular, which is awesome. Jeff is amazing...

But IMO Paul Waggoner from Between the Buried and Me doesnt get nearly enough recognition as he should. The arrangements and solos in the BTBAM shit, especially Colors, are fucking masterpieces.

Honorable mention to the guys from Woe of Tyrants...they have some sick riffs and solo's as well. Kingdom of Might is one of my absolute favorite albums to come out in awhile.

I think Joel from KsE slays. Obviously KsE isn't a small unknown band, but Joel definitely doesn't get a whole lot of individual attention as a guitar player. I think this is likely due to the fact that the musical style of KsE doesn't attract the type of people who are thoroughly interested in playing ability, the same way that a more technical band does. Regardless...Joel slays. I would love to hear him playing/writing in a more musically "advanced" metal band someday.

Wojtek Lisicki (Luciferion), Jaroslaw "Mister" Misterkiewicz (Trauma), Marek "Hudy" Chudzikiewicz (Yattering) and Trufel (Masachist, Azarath, Yattering), Stéphane Souteryrand and Geoffrey Gautier (Yyrkoon) for me

I would agree with Joel from KSE.

I'd add Matt Devries and Rob Arnold from Chimaira. They're kind of stuck in the same boat as Joel. Their music doesn't come across as super technical, but they're both excellent players.

Jari slays... One more guitarrist that comes to my mind is Kristian Neumann (ex-therion). His solos are killer.

I would agree with Joel from KSE.

I'd add Matt Devries and Rob Arnold from Chimaira. They're kind of stuck in the same boat as Joel. Their music doesn't come across as super technical, but they're both excellent players.

A lot of guys don`t get that much praise because they play in straight forward bands.
For example I really like the solos from Lasse Johansson.