Most underrated guitarists

lanky noob

Jan 13, 2012
The shire, UK
What are your opinions on the most underrated guitarists ever, in any genre, not just metal?

Mine would easily be Jerry Cantrell, the dude's an absolute genius. He wrote almost all of Alice in Chain's stuff pretty much single handedly, plus his solo albums that are all full of amazing riffs and solos, plus his tone is consistently awesome imo.

what do you mean by underrated? 1.unknown guitar players or 2.what some people think they are not that good?

anyways:

if case 1: Michael Romeo
if its case 2: Alexi Laiho, i've seen many people bash him when he is a musical genius and even with his arm problem he still plays way better than a regular guitarist in the business.

Marko Tervonen and Marcus Sunesson of The Crown.

I can't say I agree with the Jerry Cantrell thing, dude's been in more guitar mags than I can count and is pretty well-regarded in most guitar circles.

Kurt Ballou from Converge. He gets lots of props as a producer, but doesn't get nearly the recognition he deserves as a guitarist.

Chris Haskett from Rollins Band. He was a big influence on my when I was learning how to play. Such a unique style and so many killer riffs.

Alexi a genius? He has good ideas but he is a bit sloopy.

For me:
Tom S. Englund
Per Nilsson
Victor Smolski
Brian May
Andy james
Vinai Trinateepakdee

Alexi a genius? He has good ideas but he is a bit sloopy.

he is sloppy now because of his injuries and only in his solos, his rhythm playing still kicks ass, watch his old stuff, like from 2004 and before. Super clean fast and interesting solos.

i wonder if muhammed suicmez is underrated too, everytime im listening to necrophagist and someone walks in or enters to my car they say that these play random notes...are you kidding me??

Umm there are plenty, the ones I can remember now:
Pete Lesperance ( Harem Scarem)
Per Nilsson
Reb Beach

Probably I will remember many more later, but my brain is old and slow.

Christian Muenzer. muhammed suicmez is good but christian did the Epitaph solo and that's easily their best one. Christians playing in Obscura and spawn of possession is also amazing.

Christian Kühn from defeated sanity is a beast.

Christian Muenzer. muhammed suicmez is good but christian did the Epitaph solo and that's easily their best one. Christians playing in Obscura and spawn of possession is also amazing.

Christian Kühn from defeated sanity is a beast.

yeah i forgot about christian, he plays very smooth and interesting leads.

I can't say I agree with the Jerry Cantrell thing, dude's been in more guitar mags than I can count and is pretty well-regarded in most guitar circles.

I haven't seen him in any magazines at all recently, or ever for that matter, but then again I don't tend to pay attention to much except for what i'm subscribed to. In my mind he should be as highly respected as some of the biggest players of the last 20 years, like zakk wylde etc etc. But not dimebag... because he was nowhere near as influential.

Still, Jerry an dime are my two biggest influences so i'm just fanboying :D

also +1 for emil werstler. That guy is ridiculous.

Andre Olbrich. The man composes some of the most emotional, flowing solos I've ever heard, and manages to solo for nearly a minute in every song and never make the listener bored.