All Time Underrated Metal Guitarists

Hell_Awaits said:
Warren DeMartini
I have to be honest. When I first saw this, I was like "What the fuck?" and then I thought about it. Warren was/is good. Better than his band would lead you to believe.

I wonder if "Fast" Eddie Clarke from Motorhead shouldn't be included. He was a brilliant song-writer, blending blues/rock/punk/metal into a style quite unique back when. For me Motorhead was never the same after he left...still good...but never the same.

fah-q said:
I have to be honest. When I first saw this, I was like "What the fuck?" and then I thought about it. Warren was/is good. Better than his band would lead you to believe.

Say what you want about Ratt I just always thought he was a phenomanal lead guitarest.

Paul Quinn and Graham Oliver.

Steve Zodiac. (No, not the fucking puppet)

Paul "Tonka" Chapman

And if you don't know who they are, that proves my point!!!

TheAssMaster said:

Paul "Tonka" Chapman

And if you don't know who they are, that proves my point!!!

Paul Chapman really isn't that good...best thing he did was his solo for Profession of Violence...great solo!...everything else, eh!

Paul Chapman really isn't that good...best thing he did was his solo for Profession of Violence...great solo!...everything else, eh!

Indeed a great solo, but also in my list for stoically covering Mad Metal Mickey's arse when he went walkabout on the eve of a tour.

How about Vito Bratta? Yes yes, I know, never mind the band, but he could play the shit out of the guitar, and then apparently just vanished. Whatever happened to him? And why did he appear to have a Shredded Wheat on his head? The combover from hell.

Kevin Heybourne from Angel Witch,

Great to see some of my fav bands getting a mention on here and I would agree 100% with the ones mentioned above cos they all rule!. And of course I've seen them all live which was just truly AWESOME!!!!

And we must not forget Brian Tatler as well - superb guitarist - and I must have seen Diamond Head about 7 times - one of the best bands of all time, as I'm sure you will all agree:Smug:

Indeed a great solo, but also in my list for stoically covering Mad Metal Mickey's arse when he went walkabout on the eve of a tour.

How about Vito Bratta? Yes yes, I know, never mind the band, but he could play the shit out of the guitar, and then apparently just vanished. Whatever happened to him? And why did he appear to have a Shredded Wheat on his head? The combover from hell.

Indeed, Vito was a fine player. As for the hair? That started going to hell when he realized he was wasting his talent playing "when the children cry".

Well, my initial point of this thread was to point out guitarists who were underrated, yet extremely influential. I agree with some of your choices as great guitarists, yet question their influence.

Aha, well you should have said that then!
I feel none of them have been given the acknowledgment they deserve, ie. have been "under-rated".

Some, Paul Quinn for example, is STILL delivering the goods (erm, or should that be Glenn Tipton?), and still playing some fucking fine guitar, to a woefully thin audience - not due to his music, but because of industry fashions, piss-poor management and under-exposure. Criminal!

Oh, and add Doug Scarratt to that list too.

I'd have to disagree with you on the Schenker though, I'm afraid. I don't know anyone who would under-rate him, he is a fucking Titan as a guitarist and a Heavy Metal icon. If he has been over-looked, it's because when he was beginning to get some serious recognition he decided to hide out in a hotel room and make a bonfire out of his guitars and hair-cuttings. One of my all-time favourite players though!

I'm off to play "Rock Bottom" in the car!

Aha, well you should have said that then!
I feel none of them have been given the acknowledgment they deserve, ie. have been "under-rated".

Some, Paul Quinn for example, is STILL delivering the goods (erm, or should that be Glenn Tipton?), and still playing some fucking fine guitar, to a woefully thin audience - not due to his music, but because of industry fashions, piss-poor management and under-exposure. Criminal!

Oh, and add Doug Scarratt to that list too.

I'd have to disagree with you on the Schenker though, I'm afraid. I don't know anyone who would under-rate him, he is a fucking Titan as a guitarist and a Heavy Metal icon. If he has been over-looked, it's because when he was beginning to get some serious recognition he decided to hide out in a hotel room and make a bonfire out of his guitars and hair-cuttings. One of my all-time favourite players though!

I'm off to play "Rock Bottom" in the car!

Well...in Europe Schenker may be a titan, but here in the States it's "Who?"

Perhaps if he hadn't done a runner all those years ago, he would have been HUGE!
Better get your knob out and start pud-slapping your compatriots until they recognise true greatness. Schenker could teach all the widdly widdly players a thing or two about melody and emotion.

Perhaps if he hadn't done a runner all those years ago, he would have been HUGE!
Better get your knob out and start pud-slapping your compatriots until they recognise true greatness. Schenker could teach all the widdly widdly players a thing or two about melody and emotion.

Agreed for Schenker of old...but Schenker post Assault Attack is a mere shadow of himself. No one is a bigger fan than me...hence the nickname "Schenker" given to me in my youth, but he's lost it!...big time!

Agreed for Schenker of old...but Schenker post Assault Attack is a mere shadow of himself. No one is a bigger fan than me...hence the nickname "Schenker" given to me in my youth, but he's lost it!...big time!

Let us not forget Hank Shermann. Actually schenk...I'm listening to Night Of The Unborn now, no shit :headbang: :headbang::headbang: hey the solo does kick major ass, as well as the basslines under it...