Most Overrated Metal Guitarists?

There is a huge difference between playing a song and writing a song. Some of these guys might not be godly guitar players, but some of them have amazing songs. I have heard some really strong guitar players on this forum, then again I haven't heard too many memorable songs posted by said forum members. Sorry to be a dick about it.

Anyone can practice their ass off and play other peoples songs no matter how difficult, but that's not necessarily talent and it doesn't make you a good guitar player. Try writing it.

Dimebag might not have been a neo-classical shred god, but I haven't heard a guitar player yet whose work is a bad ass as that.

Opinions are like buttholes. Take mine with a grain of salt....my opinion that is.

Thats what most people dont understand.. I think songwritting/improv. should be practiced as much or even more than technique, and I think there's a lot more to writting music.. even if you know all the theory in the world it doesnt mean you can write a good song.
Why are we critizicing other guitarists? Is not like they go around saying they are the best.. most of them dont even know why people like them.. or they dont see themself in the same level as their idols.

And ShreddyMarz.. Do you have a problem? Want to talk about it?

as far as the big virtuoso's go, i'd have to see buckethead is the only one i really legitimately enjoy
its probably because everything he writes is so fucking filthy
what the fuck is up with the main riff in nottingham lace? :D
dirty as fuck

he may not be clean but who gives as fuck?
hes a man wearing a kabuki mask and a bucket on his head playing filthy funky shreddy shit
is that not good enough for you people? :D

ESPECIALLY in that video it counts FUCK ALL how cleanly he plays etc...
he's playing the star spangled banner at woodstock in front of thousands of hippies...do you guys really think he was doing it to show his shred-skilss...and if he did do you think anyone would have cared if it was a technically perfect interpretation of the anthem?lol.

I don't think anyone who hasn't been around that time (and I include myself) can totally understand how important and influential these guys were.

there's more to music than just technical perfection....

that said....I dont like it myself, lol....but I appreciate him for the novelty his style of playing was.

it's very much the same with any kind of art....any copy/printer combi from wallmart and even a stupid cellphone cam makes better pictures (technically) than say monet....but do you really think people in 100yrs will have HP-printers in museums?

I can only speak for me, but THAT exactly was the problem..not his opinion being different

First of all, your avatar scares me. LOL. :rolleyes:

Secondly, I understand what you mean about Jimi. Although, I wasn't just judging his star spangled banner or woodstock performance. Back when I started playing guitar, I purchased lots of Jimi Hendrix albums, as my guitar teacher at the time was such a huge fan of his and highly recommended me to listen to this guitar "virtuoso". I've tried to listen to him for years, put the cds away, and then try and listen to him again, several times. I've never been able to get into any of his music, let alone his playing. He does have a few memorable songs, but I would say he was a better songwriter than he was a guitarist. That's where my comment came from. I don't consider him a great guitarist, just a good songwriter. He was average to mediocre on guitar, at best. The only reason I made the "Technical" comment was the fact that someone else on the board made a comment about it before me. That's why I was poking fun at Jimi in saying I don't consider him technical.... NOT that I wanted to see Jimi playing anything technical. Don't misinterpret what I wrote. I already knew Jimi wasn't a technical player, and I could care less if a guitar player is "technical" to consider them good. Michael Angelo Batio is a technical player, but he probably also likes to smell his own arrogant farts. I don't think MAB is a good songwriter. I like players that offer a good combination of technicality and musicianship. Players like Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, Michael Lee Firkins, Joey Tafolla, Joe Satriani, Michael Amott, etc. all please me due to their focus on melody and songwriting, rather than just pure technicality.

as far as the big virtuoso's go, i'd have to see buckethead is the only one i really legitimately enjoy
its probably because everything he writes is so fucking filthy
what the fuck is up with the main riff in nottingham lace? :D
dirty as fuck

he may not be clean but who gives as fuck?
hes a man wearing a kabuki mask and a bucket on his head playing filthy funky shreddy shit
is that not good enough for you people? :D

So does that mean there are those whom you illegitimately enjoy?

Ya know...just curious. :err:

Dude I love that song! I saw the video and thought you were gonna defend the guy hahaha

Hahaha, no way dude! :lol:

The worst part about that sucky guitarist is the fact that some of his little bastardly gobblins("fans") actually believe that he is the same person as Paul Gilbert! :lol:

I have to agree that Buckethead has the ability to write some pretty interesting material, but it just seems like he never really tried to actually practice(Not that i think his material is good, but it is very unique.).

The worst part about that sucky guitarist is the fact that some of his little bastardly gobblins("fans") actually believe that he is the same person as Paul Gilbert! :lol:

Oh yeah I've heard that one, cause they're both about the same height and share resemblence in the playing style they say. Now that would be super-friggin awesome if it were true hahaha

Oh yeah I've heard that one, cause they're both about the same height and share resemblence in the playing style they say. Now that would be super-friggin awesome if it were true hahaha

Buckethead resembling Paul Gilbert in style?
Thats like comparing Jazz to Punk! :lol:
Seriously though, Paul Gilbert is more neo-classic in his playing style, and he plays pretty damn clean.. Buckethead seems like a mix between rave and blues(Yah, go figure.), and he plays sloppy as a motherfucker.

But i have to agree, it would be awesome if it was true! :D

I wouldnt like it if it was true, but it would still be awesome!

Buckethead resembling Paul Gilbert in style?
Thats like comparing Jazz to Punk! :lol:
Seriously though, Paul Gilbert is more neo-classic in his playing style, and he plays pretty damn clean.. Buckethead seems like a mix between rave and blues(Yah, go figure.), and he plays sloppy as a motherfucker.

But i have to agree, it would be awesome if it was true! :D

I wouldnt like it if it was true, but it would still be awesome!

Yeah I said "they say" I don't quite share that opinion, I like em both but they aren't the same person for the love of god. but yeah, would be like the coolest news in the metal world hahaha

I actually truly heard buckethead for the first time today in my friends car
and while he did have a few entertaining licks and a few catchy solos
he was sloppy
and pretty repetitive in his song writing
one song I heard sounded extremely professional, like one you would hear on a modern day record
and a few of the others I heard sounded like they were recorded one take in his bedroom and then sent off to the cd factory, completely disregarding the obvious mistakes in his playing
just my two cents

That "Betcha Can't play this" with Dragonforce was hilarious.. hadn't seen that one. I bet when the guys were editing that they were laughing their balls off.

I like Zakk Wylde... but yeah, I like his songs A LOT more than this solos. I've got the Doomsday Troopin' DVD and quite honestly, when I first got it, I had to fast-forward A LOT because he just wouldn't stop. That DVD is honestly like 40% him playing a solo.