Most Underrated Metal Guitarists?

Scott Hull.

Not very tight (though kinda deliberately), nasty scratchy tone... BUT he writes awesome riffs, and lots of them.

Over a couple of AC albums, 5 Pig Destroyer CDs and all Agoraphobic Nosebleed's stuff, he's already written more catchy-ass riffs than most guys do in their whole careers - and he only plays most of them once :lol: Honestly, there is no one else in the grindcore scene that a) is as instantly recognisable and b) has groove as well as speed.

Steve

Definitely +1 to Vogg, holy motherfuck - and unfortunately, the only time I've ever heard Joel and Adam solo is in the "Holy Diver" cover - Joel's was damn good, Adam's was "eh" IMO, but KSE is one of those bands where their riffs aren't complicated enough for me to make a judgment on their playing without solos (though if I'd ever seen them live and could witness teh tightness for myself, I'd probably reconsider). Also +1 to Glenn Tipton, I've been singing his praises on here for awhile now, and I'd also like to nominate Jani Liimatainen from Sonata Arctica; his vibrato may be a bit iffy, and he may be wedded to a horrible Pod 1.0 tone, but man can he write some amazing solos!

Emil from Daath. Hands down the best guitarist in metal imo. I wont even argued about it, hes THAT good. Best guitarist i've ever worked with hands down.

Last edited by a moderator:
And on a side note, I've been wanting to ask this for years Mark, but keep forgetting - I know Jason is Fornicus Fuckmouth McFlappy, but are you Slippery Jim? :D

Emil from Daath. Hands down the best guitarist in metal imo. I wont even argued about it, hes THAT good. Best guitarist i've ever worked with hands down.

I'm guessing you weren't working at Audiohammer when Dan from Martyr came down to record the Capharnaum album then? :p

Dan Mongrain is the best guitarist in the world. It's a complete tragedy that Martyr are still so unknown outside of Quebec.

Roope Latvala slayed in his previous band 'Stone'. If Alexi Laiho were smarter, he would let Roope play all the solos in Children Of Bodom, or at least half of them.

I'm glad Emil Werstler and Dan Mongrain were both mentioned, they were who I was thinking of.

I don't know how (over/under)rated Ron Jarzombek is to anyone else around here, but I think he's pretty awesome too.

I'm guessing you weren't working at Audiohammer when Dan from Martyr came down to record the Capharnaum album then? :p

Dan Mongrain is the best guitarist in the world. It's a complete tragedy that Martyr are still so unknown outside of Quebec.

Daniel is a freak. One of the best living musicians period. Glad you mentioned him. Even jason will admit that Daniel and Emil are of equal but different talents.

And no im not slippery jim, haha. But i know slippery jim well and not sure he wants his identity shared or not. haha