Most personally influential guitarists?

Song writing and solo wankery that gets me about the latest Dream Theater releases. He's still a sickingly talented dude, and can write amazing stuff. I think as a whole they've stopped forging a new genre and have become nostalgic. They'd rather re-hash old genres and styles of writing than perpetuate what made them unique. For instance, the first LTE has some of my favorite JP work.

1.Paul Masvidal

2.Jason Gobel

3. Alex Skolnick

4. Allan Holdsworth :worship:

5. Justin K Broadrick (For completely different reasons )

6. Al Di Meola

7. John McLaughlin

8. James Murphy (Cheers for all the projects you've played on)

Can't think of anymore right now though theres tons of others

-My father
-Yngwie J Malmsteen
-Randy Rhoads
-Jake E Lee
-Vitto Bratta
-Patrick Rondat
-Dave "Snake" Sabo
-Scotti Hill
-Terrance Hobbs, Guy Marchais and Doug Cerrito
-Chuck Schuldiner,
-Marek "Hudy" Chudzikiewicz and Trufel
-Vogg
-Peter and Mauser
-Stéphane Souteryand and Geoffrey Gautier
-Pat O'Brian
-Wojtek Lisicki
-Gary Holt and Rick Hunolt
Many classical genius...

MAB
Vai
Satch
Romeo
Petrcucci
Rhoads
Hank Marvin
Albert Lee
Al Di Meola
Murray/Gers/Smith
All the In flames dudes
Bullet for my Valentine dudes
Laiho
Kroeger/Peake
Berry
Heavy Devvy
Johnson
Killswitch dudes
Lamb of god dudes
Het & Ham
Dime
Stratovarius dudes
Yng

-My father
-Yngwie J Malmsteen
-Randy Rhoads
-Jake E Lee
-Vitto Bratta
-Patrick Rondat
-Dave "Snake" Sabo
-Scotti Hill
-Terrance Hobbs, Guy Marchais and Doug Cerrito
-Chuck Schuldiner,
-Marek "Hudy" Chudzikiewicz and Trufel
-Vogg
-Peter and Mauser
-Stéphane Souteryand and Geoffrey Gautier
-Pat O'Brian
-Wojtek Lisicki
-Gary Holt and Rick Hunolt
Many classical genius...

Actually i think Scotty Hill was the better player in SkidRow. Quite under- rated IMAO :headbang:

If I might make this most influential guitarists and composers it would be

Jari Maenpaa
Tom Englund
Alexi Laiho
Kristiann Neumann (awesome solos)
Chris Spheeris (new age composer, not technical)
YJM - technique wise
Chris Broderick
Michael Amott

+ Jon from Aisst Orrrrfffff

Everyone pretty much has mentioned my favorites but my absolute favorites are:

Matthias Jabs
Vito Bratta (yes cheezy music but damn this get really made me feel his solos my whole reason for starting guitar),
Michael "crazy" Schenker,
Uli Jon Roth

(yeah I'm a product of the 80's)

Every time I list my favourite guitar players I end up making a list of great songwriters ... of course it has to do with the fact that those great songs are all about the guitars. So my favourite guitar players/songwriters are:

Denis "Piggy" D'Amour. No need to explain I guess.

Chris de Garmo. I can't believe no one has mentioned him yet.

Bill Steer.

Alex Lifeson.

Mr. David Gilmour

The Edge (Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree)

Not a lot into shredders as you can see.

Yeah DeGarmo is another guy I should have mentioned... Great songwriter as well.

And for some reason he's the only guy from the '80s where I can actually play most of his solos.

Yeah DeGarmo is another guy I should have mentioned... Great songwriter as well.

And for some reason he's the only guy from the '80s where I can actually play most of his solos.

Yeah ... his solos have never been so difficult to play, but you can sing along every one of them just by memory, and that says something to me .. in fact I listed him more for the songwriting, for his sense of melody and for the innovative riffing ... lots of chord work and all that kinda stuff I'm a sucker for.

Early, Paul Gilbert, Eddie, YJM, Vinnie Moore,....and Dave, Scott and James H for rhythm, Flotsem too.

Later on, Masvidal and Chuck.

Allan Holdsworth always inspires me-Greg Howe too.
Christopher Parkening too.

kirk hamster(i was a youngin' his solos were inspiring.)
marty friedman
dave mustaine
Paul gilbert
dimebag
alexi laiho
mikael akerfeldt
guthrie govan.

most of my guitar playing friends.

Yeah ... his solos have never been so difficult to play, but you can sing along every one of them just by memory, and that says something to me .. in fact I listed him more for the songwriting, for his sense of melody and for the innovative riffing ... lots of chord work and all that kinda stuff I'm a sucker for.

Great pick. He's definitely underrated in a lot of ways. His solos aren't hard to play, but they sound great. Really, that's what matters.

Adam Jones (Tool)
David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

the less is more school of guitar playing ;)

o is dat sum out of context sig quotage?!

anyway, as for my influences nowadays, I'd probably say the guys from Sunn O))) are right up there, Toby Driver, Dallas Toller Wade and Karl Sanders, my last bands guitarist Kian..

Kirk Hammett-As a kid I saw S&M on tv.Thats the beginning of everything to me and still my favourite album

James Hetfield-
Way to cool to watch him in "serious"clothing and playing those flying V's on S&M

Joe Satriani-MAJOR influence.A trully great style and in a way manageble to play.It was more important for me to learn to play Echoes out of the Surfing with Alien album,than messing with chicks :lol:

Steve vai
-I love the phrasing and the strange song writing.Big inspiration is Passion and warfare and Alien love secrets.

John Petrucci-Awake was a huge album for me.

Necrophagist-Suddenly a band plays way more technically than any other.So...you got to follow them and try to nail all their riffs and solos :headbang:

Andreas Kisser&Max Cavallera
-The reason I play thrash metal(www.myspace.com/drunkardband)

Now please check this one

GIANNIS SPATHAS
-The greatest Greek guitar player ever.Highly influential to the world.Member of the band SOCRATES.Greatest vibrato and phrasing ever.Starvation is one of the best riffs ever.CHECK HIM OUT

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjLVDzWON1I&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: