Guitarists: legato licks?

I gotta admit Rusty can shred, but it's all mindless stupidly fast non melodic stuff to me lol.

Not to mention he has absolutely NO since of timing or rhythm what so ever. Try working with him in the studio some time. Ugggh. I've heard people say he "has interesting phrasing". That's because he can't play on beat!!

Not to mention he has absolutely NO since of timing or rhythm what so ever. Try working with him in the studio some time. Ugggh. I've heard people say he "has interesting phrasing". That's because he can't play on beat!!

Does that mean you have worked in the studio with him?

Does that mean you have worked in the studio with him?

On some demo and remixing stuff. Thankfully not more then that. Now don't get me wrong, he's got more talent in his smallest fingernail than I have on guitar...but it just turns into a lot of mindless wankering. Plus the whole attitude.

On some demo and remixing stuff. Thankfully not more then that. Now don't get me wrong, he's got more talent in his smallest fingernail than I have on guitar...but it just turns into a lot of mindless wankering. Plus the whole attitude.

Is Rusty a really small guy? Because on every video I've seen of him, it looks like he's playing a harrier fight jet, instead of a guitar.

Oh sweet, I like him, but I know what you mean. He is a really technical player, ill listen and watch it but I don't go into the realms of UBER shred with my personal playing, Loomis/malmsteen yes but anything beyond that like some of the unknown players gets a bit tedious. Cool guy though!

I saw him do a little demo thing for Boss at NAMM...he was very good.

Yeah he never misses a note, smooth as hell, very good player.

Per from Scar Symmetry is smooooooooooooth as, check him out.

I think he does do a lot of right hand tapping though to get that similar feel to Fredrik Thordendal - sometimes it's hard to tell what's not tapped

The first time I heard him play I thought he was a keyboard he was so smooth.

I ALMOST don't like how smooth he is haha.

Per is absolutely one of my new all-time favorite soloists; the smoothness really can't be overstated (as well as his taste and sense of melody, my God - Rusty, are you listening? :Smug: ), though honestly I haven't noticed him playing too many legato licks, he seems more of an alternate picking/sweeping kinda guy. But the solo in Ghost Prototype I is one of the greatest I've EVER heard! :worship:

Definitely Shawn Lane.

You NEED to check this video you if you want to totally destroy your left hand doing legato stuff. Shawn was a really good innovator with Legato licks. He used crazy stuff like rhythm displacement and 1-2 note per string lines to come up with some licks only a Saxophonist or Pianist might play.

And there's also Jeff Loomis, but I haven't seen too many video lessons in which he talks about his rad legato technique.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wicked, holy shit can Shawn play, thanks for the vid, and great licks in there! I love how he says hammer-ons; it sounds like "hemorrhons," which of course sounds like "hemorrhoids," which of course makes me :lol:

Wicked, holy shit can Shawn play, thanks for the vid, and great licks in there! I love how he says hammer-ons; it sounds like "hemorrhons," which of course sounds like "hemorrhoids," which of course makes me :lol:

I just read your post, then watched the clip and had a major Beavis & Butthead moment. :lol::lol::lol:

Dude, did he just say HEMRONS?:lol:

preperation_h.jpg

Definitely Shawn Lane.

You NEED to check this video you if you want to totally destroy your left hand doing legato stuff. Shawn was a really good innovator with Legato licks. He used crazy stuff like rhythm displacement and 1-2 note per string lines to come up with some licks only a Saxophonist or Pianist might play.

And there's also Jeff Loomis, but I haven't seen too many video lessons in which he talks about his rad legato technique.

The diminished section on that instructional is fucking awesome and insane at the same time. He was a true guitar god! :headbang:

He was a good player, but again I can't say any of his stuff really grabbed me as a guitar player.

I think I agree if I understand you correctly.

He was a truly great shredder on his instrument but as a song writer I never found any of his work inspiring.

I could sit down and watch any of his lessons and wish I could play like him but I would never go look up a tab to learn his song.

I think I agree if I understand you correctly.

He was a truly great shredder on his instrument but as a song writer I never found any of his work inspiring.

I could sit down and watch any of his lessons and wish I could play like him but I would never go look up a tab to learn his song.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was getting at. Same with Rusty Cooley, and to a certain degree Steve Vai and Satch, don't get me wrong I love watching those guys play, I've just never really wanted to learn any of their songs. That's why Jeff Loomis appeals to me a lot, he can shred insanely, but also writes some damn heavy riffs.

Well Shawn's stuff seems like its mainly be-bop/jazz orientated which isnt my fav styles to sit down and learn either :p Its just awesome how much he knew and pulled everything off, there was a video possibly on youtube where a stage full of famous guitarists played a song *Sach on lead vocals I think* they included, Vai, Skolnick etc and you should see everybody blows their loads when Shawn rips some fucking amazing solo off. Think it was something to do Ibanez.

Well Shawn's stuff seems like its mainly be-bop/jazz orientated which isnt my fav styles to sit down and learn either :p Its just awesome how much he knew and pulled everything off, there was a video possibly on youtube where a stage full of famous guitarists played a song *Sach on lead vocals I think* they included, Vai, Skolnick etc and you should see everybody blows their loads when Shawn rips some fucking amazing solo off. Think it was something to do Ibanez.

Is It this one?