Have you ever bought an album 'cuz Mike told you to?

Mikael Åkerfeldt;7941287 said:
Good on you!

Right now I'm listening to the Misfits "Evilive" Lp "You want it turned up or WHAT???"...I love Glenn Danzig although he's wierd.

To be honest, recently I re-discovered Abba. I grew up with them of course, but I never listened to them since I became a musician myself and it was...a revelation!
I listened to all their albums before I fell asleep EVERY night on the last Euro tour! It's just amazing!

It's some of the most well written, well arranged, well produced and just downright most fantastic songs I've ever heard! And they have always been there for me and NOW i discovered them.

If you dare to, get, "The album", "Arrival", "Voulez vous", "Super trouper" and the last one "The visitors". Some of it is very happy sounding so I can really understand if most of you will totally HATE it, but man, for me it was exactly what I needed. I'm more or less obsessed with them now.

SW always said he loved them so much and I kinda sneered at him, "Fucking poof" haha! But he was right, as always...

Do it!
Cheers
Mike

Steve's cover version of "The Day Before You Came" made me sit up and take notice of ABBA. That song is simply a wonderfully executed story within a wonderfully executed pop song.

It's (almost...) like talking to folks who don't like The Beatles because, particularly the early stuff, is 'silly pop bullshit'. Yes maybe... but it's the best 'silly pop bullshit' ever written!

BTW, I work a music distribution company, and we just got a shipment from Thompson Music of The Master's Apprentices complete discography! In the spirit of this thread, I'll admit that it's Mike's influence that's inspiring me to check them out!

Abba ey... hrmmm

Yeah I've gotten a few because of Mike, The Drift and Throbbing Gristle scared the shit out of me so thanks for that. Comus, Morbid Angel, and Camel were from Mike as well. Oh and Porcupine Tree I guess.

I check out all of the recommendations made to me actually. I end up wasting a lot of money but I've discovered some gold as well. Mike has an interesting and unique taste in music IMO. It's one to be respected.

ABBA :yuk:
na they ok i spose.
Hardcore Kareoke shit though.
Roxette are better :headbang:

But back to the question at hand, I spose I have been influenced by Mik alot.
Since i started listening to Opeth and listening to record after record its really hard not to be influenced, or to take some interest in what influenced him and Opeth.

I always thought Abba sucked. But since they've grown on Mike I figured I'd give it a shot too! So I put on my mom's Abba record and WOW (that's all I can say!)! Easily the best pop music ever, how did I ever overlook these guys???

YEAH !!! Been listening to it since last June and i love it !!

Cool, I'm glad someone else here likes it. One Jan Johansson song, Klara Stjärnor, has actually become one of my favourite songs of all time. I made it a point to make this my first track to listen to in 2009, haha. If you like Jazz pa Svenska I'm sure you'll like this song. Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
It's some of the most well written, well arranged, well produced and just downright most fantastic songs I've ever heard! And they have always been there for me and NOW i discovered them.

That's like how I 'discovered' The Beatles. Same "happy-sounding" well-arranged stuff which has clearly always been there. It was also just what I needed, haha.

I'm crazy about Abba too.

Abba are underrated I reckon - yes they are basically the cheese but if you just stick it on without being judgemental right away, the songs are actually very good! Catchy!

I havent bought anything recommended by Mike but I do want to check out Porcupine Tree sometime. Keep seeing that band name everywhere I look for Opeth stuff. Its almost infectious! I want that to be a good thing ;)

Camel, for sure, but not because he said to listen to them. Only because I wanted to find out what Camel song "Ending Credits" was apparently ripped off from. But I ended up figuring he just meant the feel of the song was like Camel, but I ended up liking Camel alot too.

Camel, for sure, but not because he said to listen to them. Only because I wanted to find out what Camel song "Ending Credits" was apparently ripped off from. But I ended up figuring he just meant the feel of the song was like Camel, but I ended up liking Camel alot too.
That's what he said in Lamentations.But i watched a video of him jamming with a another dude (who's fucking lucky btw) and he said that he ripped it off from a song called 'Trouble' (or maybe " Travel") but he didn't say which band.
Odessey and Oracle by Zombies is just amazing :D !!! It reminds me of The Beatles ! happy sounding :]

I got Scott Walker's 'The Drift' because of Opeth, although it was from an interview with Peter, prior to the release of 'Watershed' (this was before he left mind), and he mentioned that the new material was or would be influenced by that album, not neccessarily musically, but in the atmosphere.

Good on you!

Right now I'm listening to the Misfits "Evilive" Lp "You want it turned up or WHAT???"...I love Glenn Danzig although he's wierd.

To be honest, recently I re-discovered Abba. I grew up with them of course, but I never listened to them since I became a musician myself and it was...a revelation!
I listened to all their albums before I fell asleep EVERY night on the last Euro tour! It's just amazing!

If you dare to, get, "The album", "Arrival", "Voulez vous", "Super trouper" and the last one "The visitors". Some of it is very happy sounding so I can really understand if most of you will totally HATE it, but man, for me it was exactly what I needed. I'm more or less obsessed with them now.

SW always said he loved them so much and I kinda sneered at him, "Fucking poof" haha! But he was right, as always...

Do it!
Cheers
Mike

Mmmm, I dunno, all this NON Opeth music chat on the Opeth Forum!! :(

Better alert Samsara!! :kickass::tongueeincheek:

Indeed, Abba's sound re-production is right up there with the best of them.

On vinyl, only buy the original yellow Epic releases, the later orange or blue Epics sound lightweight by comparison!!

Got well overdosed on Abba during my bar-tender days in the early 70's blasting out of our juke-box, Waterloo and Winner over n over every evening ffs. :(

Nice to see Mike chatting here with us again. :D

The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle, since Mike mentioned it in pretty much every Watershed interview. It is a great album, ace sounds. Mike listens to a ton of shit though imo :lol:

I don't know if I'd go that far, but it's certainly pop of the highest caliber.

Seriously fanboy-like.

I once had to record a local Abba tribute bands music video.. nearly 8 hours of Fernando, Dancing Queen and Take a Chance On Me!!!

It was horrible when I 'suffered' through it.. But the songs were so catchy. :lol:

I just thought of it, and it has nothing to do with influences, but I bought angL from Ihsahn after listening to Unhealer (and wondered what the other songs looked like, and finally liked a lot this band), also The Adversary. Both very nice album with progressive stuff and black metuuulll. Oh and I started to like Bloodbath. God. Why did you leave Bloodbath, Mikael!? The Cancer of da Souuuuuuuul!!!:heh::heh: