I bought some new cds (and have a few questions)

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
Ok, this fortnights trip to utopia has yielded.......

Queensryche: Live Evolution- This DOES have I dont believe in love on it, so all should buy safe in the knowledge that queensryche didnt leave the song off and thus are not incredibly stupid :)
How good is the sanctuary label? Talk about value for money, theres 30 songs on the album! The halford live one had about the same, the deth one will too, sanctuary kick arse! Where the hell is the maiden live album by the way?

Kamelot: The expedition- Live album by the band that made Karma, one of the bestest albums ever. Go buy Karma if you havent already, its GREAT!

Machinehead: Supercharger- Yeah I know, they are nowhere near as good as they used to be and Rob thinks he is in Limp Bizkit. Nonetheless he can still write a few good riffs, so I bought it anyway. I guess I can mosh to myself in my room to it if nothing else and I can throw rob flynns bottlecap (which if you have been paying attention you will know I got it at the slayer concert) to myself and pretend im there :D 18 songs on this album too, good value again. Unless the songs suck. Then its not so good.

Bruce Dickinson: Best of- Well, we all know Brucie kicks arse, so I dont need to say much, but can someone tell me if the version of the wickerman on this is actually the first version of the iron maiden one? Ive read about 10 different interviews and sometimes it says it is and sometimes not, thus I am confused :confused: Broken is SO good :) Cant wait for the next full album from Bruce and Roy.

Annihilator: King of the kill- This band rules, jeff waters could take Dave Mustaine, James Hetfield AND Jon Schaffer on all at once and still come out on top guitar wise. The man is an absolute freak. He is the ultimate thrash/metal guitarist. Some of his instrumentals are awe inspiringly good. He is the kind of guy that makes me not want to play guitar because ill never ever be that good. Writes great songs too :) Get Criteria for a black widow if you want a great album. Go on, you know you want to :)

Death: The sound of perserverance- Got this because control denied was alright and this is that guys regular band, supposed to be very good......we shall see........

Kreator: Coma of Souls- Just got this because all the people on the megadeth board keep going on about how great they are, I have pleasure to kill and endorama by these guys and dont think they are that great, but ill see how this album goes.
Can someone tell me why I keep buying albums of bands I dont think are that great but that everyone else goes nanas over?? I just figure im missing something everyone else is seeing in them so I keep buying them hoping I will find it, am I crazy?

I also got the sevendust DVD, sevendust rule, go buy their albums :)

I havent listened to the cds yet though I only just got back.

Originally posted by spawn
Ok, this fortnights trip to utopia has yielded.......

Bruce Dickinson: Best of- Well, we all know Brucie kicks arse, so I dont need to say much, but can someone tell me if the version of the wickerman on this is actually the first version of the iron maiden one? Ive read about 10 different interviews and sometimes it says it is and sometimes not, thus I am confused

No it isn't. Totally independant song.

Then it's on "The Voice of Crube". Or I read it in an interview somewhere. Or something. Bruce said that he was worried that the same thing might happen to his Wickerman as what happened to his Bring Your Daughter... i.e. Steve made him pull the song, 'cause there could only be one version of it at the time.

Ok, so it was the original version of the wickerman, then steve changed a bit and it ended up on a maiden record. Is that right?

What's the verdict on "Live Evolution", Spawn? I was going to avoid it like the plague because it didn't have my theme song on it, but that's no longer an issue :). Also, I'm very wary of the 'Ryche without DeGarmo. How would you rate Kelly Gray as a guitar player?

They should have released a double live album after the Empire tour IMHO. They were at their peak in those days, and like Pink Floyd's Pulse, the Livecrime performance could have taken up much of the second disc. Idle speculation maybe, but still a good idea!

W

NP: Judas Priest: Beyond The Realms of Death

Ok, so it was the original version of the wickerman, then steve changed a bit and it ended up on a maiden record. Is that right?

No. Bruce wrote a song called "Wickerman" in 1997. Then Maiden, (along with Bruce) wrote a song called "Your time will come" and thought it was a crappy name for a song. Steve saw the "Shadow of the Wickerman" line and said, "Hey, why don't we call it Wickerman".

Originally posted by phlogiston
Like Spawny's gonna believe it now Sydo's said it. :p
:lol: Aint that the truth :D But maybe he is using reverse psychology on me :lol:
Anyways, thanks for letting me know re: Wickerman.
Wrathy, I havent listened to the queensryche one yet (just got home now, but ill let you know what I think when I have if ya like!

:D 'Tis true I tell ya!

I got Queensryche Live Evolution on Monday. I must say it's absolutely stunning.
I'd only ever heard QK2 before, but this is really brilliant.

Annihilator: King of the kill- This band rules, jeff waters could take Dave Mustaine, James Hetfield AND Jon Schaffer on all at once and still come out on top guitar wise. The man is an absolute freak. He is the ultimate thrash/metal guitarist. Some of his instrumentals are awe inspiringly good. He is the kind of guy that makes me not want to play guitar because ill never ever be that good. Writes great songs too :) Get Criteria for a black widow if you want a great album. Go on, you know you want to :)

Man, this guy must be freakin' good!! Can you suggest me any good songs that I might download and sample? If he is as good as you say he is, I'd better start getting some of their albums!

Death: The sound of perserverance- Got this because control denied was alright and this is that guys regular band, supposed to be very good......we shall see........

This album is heaps good -- I reckon it's a lot better than Control Denied. Especially the song 'Spirit Crusher', which kicks all kinds of ass.

Ok wrathy ive listened to the queensryche one and although I cant say im intimately knowledgeable about their guitar solos, I can say that the songs I dont Believe in love and eyes of a stranger were just like I remembered them on the studio cd and if I didnt know they had a new guitarist I wouldnt have guessed.
So this album now has Spawnys royal seal of approval, do yourself a favour and go get it :D

Off the top of my noggin', I remember reading that the live album was recorded by the new guitarist.

Anyone else find this strange, for an established band to hand so much responsibility over to the 'new guy'? :confused:

Nah, he was a producer and was going to produce queensryches new album, then they asked him to join the band.

Or am I making this up to maky Sydo look foolish??? Mwahahahahahaha

Ok, its not made up. Its true. I will get you Sydo. I might hire someone to piss in a vat of insignificant ale :D :lol:

Nah, he was a producer and was going to produce queensryches new album, then they asked him to join the band.

Interesting. It makes perfect sense though. Just like Metallica asking Bob Rock to play bass ;)

I will get you Sydo. I might hire someone to piss in a vat of insignificant

NEVER!! - Insignificant Ale was a limited edition. Almost all 160 odd stubbies are... er.. 'used up'. :D
For the summer, I intend to make BASTARD SON'S ORIGINAL DRAUGHT and a BITCH BREW for the ladies. :)