A few research questions...

TRrEiTxIxRiE DTrash

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2001
- What songs would you guys wanna hear if you went to see a glam/hair metal tribute band?

- Would you want the band to put on the whole show with costumes, hair, makeup, etc and copy memorable or famous stage moves from video clips/live videos and announce songs with dialogue from live albums/videos?

- Ballads. Should we do any ballads? If so, how many? Just say the band was playing 20 songs or so in the set... how many ballads? I was thinking 1 if its a shorter set and 2 if its about 20 songs.

- If it was a glam/hair metal tribute band would you want them to do songs by bands like Scorpions, Quiet Riot, WASP, etc too or stick to the glam stuff?

- Would you wanna hear only the hits like (using Motley Crue as an example) "Kickstart My Heart" or would you want a few of the other hidden gems such as something like "Piece Of Your Action" thrown in as well?

- Do you think the band should only cover songs by bands everyone knows, like Poison, Crue, Warrant, Guns N Roses, Van Halen etc... or also include classics by other semi-big bands like Cinderella, Britny Fox, Slaughter, LA Guns, Ratt, etc? And how far should they go covering the not as well known bands, for example should they throw in an occasional song by someone like a Roxx Gang, Vinnie Vincent Invasion, Pretty Boy Floyd, etc?

By the way, to give you an idea of the kind of stuff we're doing.... we've started working on a few songs so far, which are all big classics that everyone knows, because at the moment we are unsure about whether we should cover songs by the lesser known bands.

The songs we've started working on are:
- Live Wire
- Kickstart My Heart
- Nothin' But A Good Time
- Youth Gone Wild
- Cherry Pie
- Crazy Crazy Nights

We think those ones (except Crazy Crazy Nights) are all essentials in any setlist for that type of music.

1. Yeah all the classic stuff that you have listed is a good start, perhaps chuck in a bit of Twisted Sister and for semi popular stuff, some VVI, Winger, and of course Slave Of Love :D.

2. To an extent, just to add to the vibe, but there would be no need to go overboard.

3. What you said would be good IMO, 1 for a shorter set, and 2 or maybe 3 for a longer set.

4. Add stuff in by bands like that for sure, but make sure the songs you pick are glam-ish to fit with the style, don't go picking more heavy metal style songs.

5. You would mainly have to cover hits to get people into it, but I would try and feature a couple of hidden gems in each set, and maybe build on that later depending.

6. Same as above. I would stick to mainly the hits, with perhaps throwing in one hidden gem and one lesser known hit in a shorter set, and 2 to 3 of each in a longer set. It also depends on the songs. For example picking a VVI song like 'Animal' will get all the people who know the song into it, and most others should enjoy it, but picking something less glam so to speak, may not be as easy to get people into it.
Start with a couple in each set, mixing it up at different gigs, and then build from there.

:)

Good ideas there Blitzy :) Don't worry we wouldn't be picking anything less glam hahaha!!

What about stuff by bands somewhere between the popularity of Poison/Crue and VVI.... like Cinderella, Ratt, etc? All the glam/'80s hard rock fans would definitely know it, so I'd say that should just be treated the same as stuff like Motley Crue and Poison...

Yeah do mainly stuff that people will know, but chuck in a few more obscure songs there too, to keep it interesting.

You've gotta play W.A.S.P.!!

Yeah I think the crowd at a show would definitely have people that would get a kick out of hearing a Faster Pussycat or Roxx Gang song or something thrown in the set as a little surprise. And if its a great song like "Scratch My Back" or something then chances are the people who don't know it will enjoy it anyway and wanna go check it out :)

The Trooper said:
Good ideas there Blitzy :) Don't worry we wouldn't be picking anything less glam hahaha!!

What about stuff by bands somewhere between the popularity of Poison/Crue and VVI.... like Cinderella, Ratt, etc? All the glam/'80s hard rock fans would definitely know it, so I'd say that should just be treated the same as stuff like Motley Crue and Poison...

Do some Cinderella and Ratt for sure. Don't do anything off "Way Cool Junior".

Although Chainsaw Charlie is a fave, I reckon "Blind in Texas" would get more of a reaction from the audience (I've made a few metal converts with that, and Harder Faster).

Also (although not a hair band), Screamin' for a Love Bite by Accept.

Damn, I miss the old days.

BTW, this is my first post on the Maiden Downunder forum.

Born in a St Vincents in '67 (St Vincents hospital, Melbourne that is - no ring to that lyric).
Lived in Melton 'till 3,
Bendigo for a few years
Adelaide for another few,
Canberra for a few
Sydney for 3
Canberra again
Then Sunny Downtown Lithgow (NSW) for the last 11

Hope to retire to my family's origin, Daylesford.

Not a white place with a big (really big by now I'd guess) tree in the back yard, my brother's head prints in the front window, a scary frillneck in the back yard, two greyhound kennels and a shot up back fence (My uncle got an air rifle for his 15th Christmas)

Nah, I'm lost now.

I remember the school, the great big pipe I used to walk through on my way home from school etc, but was like :groan: 30 years ago, and I wasn't up with cemetaries, or apartments either.

Next time I vist the mother country, I must spend a day in Bendigo, rather than pointing the car at Castlemaine and beyond.

This is pretty cool, actually.
Koichi, where in Canbloodyberra are you ?

I was Stirling and Gowrie back in the dark ages.