Have you had issues with your interface just "disconnecting"?

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
This happened to me today for the first time since I bought my Profire 2626. It's been about 4 months since I bought it and today was the first time this happened.

I was scared shitless when REAPER suddenly stopped and said I had no ASIO device connected. I saw the light on the Profire 2626 flashing, indicating that it's not connected to the computer. I checked the Firewire cable and it was as connected as it could be and I'm 100% sure I didn't touch the cable with my foot beneath the desk. I powered the Profire off, and then powered it on again after a few seconds and I could play the project again.

Anyone had any similar issues with their interface? I'm not asking specifically for the Profire 2626, but it would be even better if someone else could confirm that this can happen from time to time on a Profire 2626. If none of you have experienced this... does that mean my unit might be screwed, or on its way to get screwed? Is this bad or normal? What may be the cause?

Full of newbie questions. I love my Profire and I don't want it scaring me like this! :( Would suck really hard if it shut down in the middle of a recording with the most awesome vocal take ever made in history... =)

it happens all the time with you profire, make sure you have the right drivers such as security pack 3 or whatever and it ideson't die durring takes. just when you don't use it for a while also make sure that your firewire buss is fast enough

Oh good thing you mentioned drivers Ryan. I hadn't checked for updates in a while and they've released an update for the Profire (and many other products it seems) 14th November. Pretty recent that is, cool! Downloaded ^^

Alright so by the responses so far it doesn't seem like it's a dangerous thing... that's good. Guess this is normal and I shouldn't even bother consulting the store I bought it from?

it happends quite often also to me with Digi002r and Logic 8...
maybe I should update the drivers but I don't have internet in the studio and I'm too lazy to take the g5 at home just for the update... :lol:

well... I will sign this on my "Things to do.." list! :p

This is known as "dropping out" a phenomenon commonly seen on usb interfaces, usually is driver related (but could be power related as well logically). If it happens once in a blue moon, and you can live with it, there's no problem. But incase this fault is reproducible or occurs frequently, i'd say check m-audio's forums or technical support.

This is known as "dropping out" a phenomenon commonly seen on usb interfaces, usually is driver related (but could be power related as well logically). If it happens once in a blue moon, and you can live with it, there's no problem. But incase this fault is reproducible or occurs frequently, i'd say check m-audio's forums or technical support.

Power related you say? Hmmmm darn, now that I think of it... there seems to be something dodgy about the power in the rehearsal place. Sometimes I notice the preamps's signal LEDs flashing, as if someone tapped a microphone but there's no mic plugged in. I think that's due to some sort of power spikes. I have heard a few pops now and then too in my headphones, while no music was playing. Might've been the power...

So, if it's due to power issues, is it dangerous? I guess the small surges/spikes in the rehearsal room aren't anything spectacular but still, can't be too careful.

My Firepod used to do it, until I sent it in and the replacement they sent me never had an issue. And the Firestudio I have now has always been top notch.

Presonus told me that the firewire chip they used in the 1st gen Firepods had compatibility issues with certain firewire cards, and since changing to a different chip they haven't had an issue. Maybe other manufactures have the same problem.