Having trouble finding a band name...

what along the lines are you looking for?
and what names have you come up that are already taken?

just trying to find out what to work with!

Seraphim Belial said:
what along the lines are you looking for?
and what names have you come up that are already taken?

just trying to find out what to work with!

Well, we're a prog metal band, so I was thinking something really abstract, having to do with things that are there, but that can't be seen. Or something to do with visions and/or hallucinations.
Here's the ones we've already used:

Disillusion
Atrophy
Collective Consciousness
Unseen Presence
A Vision of Chaos
Epiphany

When I searched on Google, each of those names made at least one hit that turned out to be a band site. Got enough to work with? :D

Hehe wierd... A Vision Of Chaos is a band in my school's album name... or it's actually Visions Of Chaos... but close enough. Good luck finding a name. I've got a name but I wanna use it for when I get a band goin again.

try looking through other languages like greek or latin.
hell, a thesaurus dictionary is also a good tool!

Picking the band name is easy, but its something to be made up by the band. If you guys cant create a band name, how the fuck are you going to write music? But if u wish i will through some evol loveing words that could be cool band names :

Necrology
Pulseing Lust
Severed
Debree
Impact
Controlled
Slit
Hung
Burned
Shot
Stabbed
in the fucking throat with a Shank, bleeding my life away as the maggots evolutionize their city in the meer depths of my lifeless vocal cords.

you sux

So many bands come up with names that are right in front of their faces that rule. Don't try too hard. My favorite oldschool band also has the coolest name..... Accept !! It sounds cool and looks cool in print. No matter the style of your band, be aware of everyday words like that. If you are a good prog band, the word will get out, no matter the title, but if your moniker states "prog" then you may lose out on other listeners.

Bryant

Class of '85 said:
Accept is excellent, I love the guitar tone in "Metal Heart". What about the name "Chainsawdomy"?.

Here's a few from my days of racking my brain for band names:

Aphotic Sun (Aphotic means "dark")
Tribal Rage
Proeliator
Dissonant Construct
Construct Dissonance
Sole Nero (As 1 word is cool too "Solenero") Sole Nero is "Black Sun" in Italian
Suona Furia (Sound Fury in Italian)

That's just a few I came up with...I like Bryant's idea - Infinity +1 - definitely fits the whole Prog thing...maybe Infinity Squared (Your logo could be the infinity sign (sideways "8" with the little "2" above the end of it...could be kind of cool)...

Class of '85 said:
Accept is excellent, I love the guitar tone in "Metal Heart". What about the name "Chainsawdomy"?.

Wolf definitely had that huge Marshall/EMG81 tone going. Even with outdated production, it still sounds great.

Chainsawdomy sounds like death metal band.... or at least some sort of really aggressive type band. Would work good for that style.

bryant

Taking Back Sunday.... I'm kidding.

Ummm how about

Phosphorilase
Revolution of Bone (probably taken)
Time Drain
Archer
Partial Fault
Morph (If reserve the right to take this one back if I put together a band...not likely... I suck)

Infinity Cubed said:
I like the whole Infinity Squared thing. I was actually thinking Shadowcore, but I'm not sure if it's taken. If it is, I'll totally use Infinity Squared.

I had the "Infinity Plus 1" as a band title, but I was in a power-metal (ala Metal Church/Acceptish-ish style) band that had a little thrash and Southern Rock tendencies in it as well and it didn't fit. I listen to quite a bit of prog metal (Vande Plas are my favorite) but my riffing style is better honed to the power/thrash/Southern rock type.
I never had a recording contract or anything... so I can't sue you for using something sililar (it is a joke,) but if you get famous, I get complimentary releases, tix and backstage passes right ? :loco:

Bryant

Bryant said:
I had the "Infinity Plus 1" as a band title, but I was in a power-metal (ala Metal Church/Acceptish-ish style) band that had a little thrash and Southern Rock tendencies in it as well and it didn't fit. I listen to quite a bit of prog metal (Vande Plas are my favorite) but my riffing style is better honed to the power/thrash/Southern rock type.
I never had a recording contract or anything... so I can't sue you for using something sililar (it is a joke,) but if you get famous, I get complimentary releases, tix and backstage passes right ? :loco:

Bryant

Of course. But that is if we get famous, and that is a pretty big if.