HD video camera?

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, any recommendations for a compact, versatile video camera capable of reliably recording HD? (for band purposes) Quite honestly, I was always really impressed with the quality of video from the dearly departed Flip HD cameras, but an input for an external mic is a must, so that rules those consumer type things out.

At the same time though, budget is probably around $500 tops! (and for something like this I'd probably buy new for the manufacturer's warranty). And we're not opposed to getting a good still image camera that also takes sweet HD video, but it needs to have continuous autofocus during recording, which I've found most still cameras do not.

How much do the Nikon 3200's go for in your area? I've heard they're supposed to be good, and I believe they have an external microphone input too.

Oh shit, and continuous (full-time, as they call it) Auto Focus - a little steep price-wise when new (~$600), but high quality stuff I don't necessarily mind buying used...arrrggghhh, decisions decisions

canon t2i (=550d) with magic lanter. Then you can gent some lenses and you are pretty much done

However, the general consensus in the past 10 minutes of internet cruising seems to be that the video quality on the T2i is better than the Nikon; no continuous autofocus on the Canon though, wouldn't that be a massive pain in the ass for filming any time the camera isn't stationary? (and you don't want to be holding the viewfinder up to your eye all the damn time)

"Cons: none", you tempting bastard :lol:

:Smokedev:

However, the general consensus in the past 10 minutes of internet cruising seems to be that the video quality on the T2i is better than the Nikon; no continuous autofocus on the Canon though, wouldn't that be a massive pain in the ass for filming any time the camera isn't stationary? (and you don't want to be holding the viewfinder up to your eye all the damn time)

Yeah I think it is supposed to be slightly better, but not massively so. Also a cheaper body allows you to spend more on a decent lense, which makes a massive amount of difference to your final images. The T2i doesn't offer anything extra that I'd personally need, so I think I'm going Nikon. I like that it can do 60p frame-rate too, which is good for some slow-motion stuff.

I'm looking to do slow artsy video and time-lapses, rather than underwater or on the headstock craziness. I'll probably also do some high-def amp demos and what not once I get into it.

i own a t2i and once you get used to the focus operation you will have no problem. As a matter of fact, profesional film makers never use continuous auto focus since it degrades image quality (due to the fact that the camera is continuosly changing its seetings -aperture, iso, speed- to adapt to the new focus settings)

I got mine for recording the videos for our band so i can tell you that IMHO that it is the way to go

i own a t2i and once you get used to the focus operation you will have no problem. As a matter of fact, profesional film makers never use continuous auto focus since it degrades image quality (due to the fact that the camera is continuosly changing its seetings -aperture, iso, speed- to adapt to the new focus settings)

Aye this is true. Do it all manually is what I keep hearing.

this is done with a t2i in a live situation. I gave the camera to a friend that had no idea so he was struggling with the focus and light settings.

EDIT: watch in hd of course

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a alternative firmware for the canon cameras that can upgrade the functonality
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

The one for the t2i is fantastic, it gives options that only are available in cameras that are worth like 3 times more, la HDR video and photo, better zebras an indicators, more iso points, mic gain adjustemente, way more audio options and i can keep going

T2i hands down the best video DSLR on the market or the price. It's going to look so much better than any handycam I promise you. Besides it really begins the difference between the HD real deal camera quality and flipcam esque quality.

if you don't want to spend alot and want a really easy thing, I would go with the GoPro like
Soultrash mentioned, our drummer owns the HD Hero 2 and it's pretty nice, with the new
one you get even more.
It's a great thing, just check their youtube channel and have a blast.

I was going to get a t3i then I was blown away by the hacked GH2. I'm currently saving up for a GH3 cuz I don't wanna deal with glitches due to hacks. Plan on also getting a goPro hero 3 as well.