HD video camera?

hoo damn I wish you get it fast!!! I use an e-pl1 and the pana 20mm lense for a long time, I'm still amaze by the quality of the pics I can get out of it... but since my 2 kids run too fast now I need a faster auto focus hehe. The gh line is very tempting!

Glenn Flicker praised them in another thread http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/bar/824086-talk-me-about-dslrs.html

In particular he posted this video which was made with a hacked GH2 and it's pretty spectacular. http://vimeo.com/33025136

Awesome! Thanks dude!

EDIT: Actually.. it looks like the Panasonic GH2 is still pretty damn expensive; I can't find one for less than £599/$945 - guys am I missing something here? I really like the shots that Glenn posted, but tbh... I'd kind of expect that level of quality from a £600 camera! You can get a Cannon EOS600D for not much more.

Only reason I bring it up is because Marcus' budget is similar to my own.

Go for the D5100 instead of the D3200. The D5100 has (besides the megapixel for photo's) the exact same specifications but it's cheaper and has a rotatable screen which is awesome for recording video.

Megapixel affects video too though right?? The D3200 has 24.2mp and the D5100 only has 16mp.

Megapixel affects video too though right?? The D3200 has 24.2mp and the D5100 only has 16mp.
Well, you can only record video at 1080p (1920x1080, which is 2MP) ofcourse.

I believe the 24,2MP and 16MP sensors are being downsized to 1080p resolution, and i dont think you will notice a (noticeable/important) difference between that.
So if the D5100 is cheaper, go for that one and buy better lenses with the money you saved.

Right, I just ordered a D3200. Deciding factors were 60fps and 50fps at 720p, which the D5100 doesn't do. Also I read the manual control isn't as good on the 5100 either. I want to experiment with slow motion, time-lapse, and abstract artsy video. Not doing sports and not too concerned with sound quality or anything like that.

It'll be good to experiment with an external clock-remote too.

At the end of the day, it's HD video! Also the price difference between the two was only about £15 at SLRHut, so I thought fuck it, go with the one everyone says is better for video.

Right, I just ordered a D3200. Deciding factors were 60fps and 50fps at 720p, which the D5100 doesn't do. Also I read the manual control isn't as good on the 5100 either. I want to experiment with slow motion, time-lapse, and abstract artsy video. Not doing sports and not too concerned with sound quality or anything like that.

It'll be good to experiment with an external clock-remote too.

At the end of the day, it's HD video! Also the price difference between the two was only about £15 at SLRHut, so I thought fuck it, go with the one everyone says is better for video.

What made you pick that over a Canon?

Awesome! Thanks dude!

EDIT: Actually.. it looks like the Panasonic GH2 is still pretty damn expensive; I can't find one for less than £599/$945 - guys am I missing something here?

Maybe you missed out on the xmas specials. I heard of a guy that got it for around $600 with a lens included from an Amazon promotion. Or maybe it's simply more expensive in the UK. It's currently $649 in B & H but that doesn't include a lens. Still that's not a bad price IMO.

What made you pick that over a Canon?

Actually I just cancelled my order! :lol:

I don't know if anyone else has ever dealt with SLRHut.com but after doing some research they seem a bit dodgy to me. So back to square one sort of.

It's basically price that made me pick it over a Canon. The nearest Canon that I can see in spec is the Rebel T2i/550D.

Current Amazon.co.uk prices: Nikon 3200 is £437 over here. Canon 550D is £494.

Here is a comparison of the two specs wise:
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_550D-vs-Nikon-D3200/specs

They're pretty close. But the Nikon does have the 60fps, which I am fairly intruiged by for some slow motion stuff. I don't really care about autofocus, I don't really mind between 16megapixels and 24megapixels either, coz I get that MP isn't everything.

The Nikon even wins out against the Canon 650D on specs too:
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-650D-vs-Nikon-D3200/specs

So it's mainly price to be honest Marcus.

I've seen a few people say that the 5100D is better for film - but it doesn't have as much manual control and it doesn't do the 60fps either.

I looked at the Go Pro stuff. It's cheap for a reason. Very little manual control and you can't change lenses. It isn't really meant for movie making in a photography sense, but is meant for just whacking on your snowboarding helmet and making "sports diaries" - which is a shame, because they're cheap!

Maybe you missed out on the xmas specials. I heard of a guy that got it for around $600 with a lens included from an Amazon promotion. Or maybe it's simply more expensive in the UK. It's currently $649 in B & H but that doesn't include a lens. Still that's not a bad price IMO.

Yeah man, it's just more expensive over here I think:
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004VQX1XW/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=electronics[/ame]

£822 body only!!

Have you been looking at samples from the D3200? I feel youtube will give you the best idea of the quality that you will get. Everything from pros to amateurs posting videos. I've seen tons of good stuff with the GH2:

The D3200? Haven't been impressed so far. Has a very stale home camera kind of feel. The GH2 is definitely more filmic especially with some grading. There is also ebay. I'm sure you can find a great deal on an old GH2 if you dig deep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I did; I didn't think it was so bad to be honest. From what I know if you can change the lens then that's basically a whole new ballgame right there. It may be that the stock lense just isn't very good, but swapped out with a decent one, it could roxx0rz.

I've not read any reviews that say the video quality is "stale" or anything, so I dunno.. bit subjective I guess. Definitely a bit more research needed though.

£822 for the GH2 is pretty much out of my budget. You can get them used for about £560 it looks like, which is still out of my range by about £150.

Well as you said MP isn't everything.
Consider the Driftwood hack bumps a GH2 to 175Mbps (I don't know what the D3200 has), that's huge.
Granted I'll be happy with just 50-75Mpbs once I finally get my hands on a GH3, but from the samples I've seen of the D3200 I can't imagine it being very high.

Of course at the end of the day do what you want. Just sharing my 2 cents... ok maybe 3 ;)

Actually I just cancelled my order! :lol:

I don't know if anyone else has ever dealt with SLRHut.com but after doing some research they seem a bit dodgy to me. So back to square one sort of.

It's basically price that made me pick it over a Canon. The nearest Canon that I can see in spec is the Rebel T2i/550D.

Current Amazon.co.uk prices: Nikon 3200 is £437 over here. Canon 550D is £494.

Here is a comparison of the two specs wise:
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_550D-vs-Nikon-D3200/specs

They're pretty close. But the Nikon does have the 60fps, which I am fairly intruiged by for some slow motion stuff. I don't really care about autofocus, I don't really mind between 16megapixels and 24megapixels either, coz I get that MP isn't everything.

The Nikon even wins out against the Canon 650D on specs too:
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-650D-vs-Nikon-D3200/specs

So it's mainly price to be honest Marcus.

I've seen a few people say that the 5100D is better for film - but it doesn't have as much manual control and it doesn't do the 60fps either.

I looked at the Go Pro stuff. It's cheap for a reason. Very little manual control and you can't change lenses. It isn't really meant for movie making in a photography sense, but is meant for just whacking on your snowboarding helmet and making "sports diaries" - which is a shame, because they're cheap!

Pretty small price difference though, esp. if you're dividing it between band members (not sure if you are) - and specs are all well and good, but the fact is everywhere I looked (such as here) said the Canon produced better pictures and video without any post-processing compared to the Nikon, so it was game over after that for me!

EDIT: Funny, I'm getting hardcore deja vu about our Kemper (quality) vs AxeII (versatility) debate a couple of months back :D

And yes, over $600 is definitely out of my budget, so that's a pass on the GH2 unless it has baller autofocus

Pretty small price difference though, esp. if you're dividing it between band members (not sure if you are) - and specs are all well and good, but the fact is everywhere I looked (such as here) said the Canon produced better pictures and video without any post-processing compared to the Nikon, so it was game over after that for me!

EDIT: Funny, I'm getting hardcore deja vu about our Kemper (quality) vs AxeII (versatility) debate a couple of months back :D

And yes, over $600 is definitely out of my budget, so that's a pass on the GH2 unless it has baller autofocus

Not splitting between band; this is just for me :)

I'll have to do some hunting for decent clips of the D3200 and the Canon 550D. Are there any hacks for the Canon stuff to allow 60fps and anything else?

I know specs aren't everything, but they're a good first impression. The videos I've seen so far of the D3200 didn't look all that bad to me.

Oh, and looking at the completed listings on Ebay, the GH2 sells used in the ranges of £310 - £560. The lower end is doable for me totally, and that video Glenn posted definitely was impressive!