Headaches while mixing ??

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
Whenever i do a mix for some odd reason 5 minutes into it i get a headache. I dont have the music extremely loud, i have it loud enough to hear everything. I play the stereo in my house AND my car much louder then mixing volumes, and i dont have this problem....

Anyone else run into this problem

Da Fukn Guru

It could be your speakers. I tend to get fatigued when listening to music for prolonged periods of time, but not after 5 minutes... extremely 'unnatural' sounding speakers can cause hearing strain, leading to a headache. It could also be your room.. I've found rooms where the low-mids pump can cause headaches far more often.

I had real problems with the older VGA monitors/screens, ended up having a MRI scan the headaches were so bad, which made for a good background for the consumed CD actually.

Aha... been having headaches as well, whenever i am on my own computer with a shitty old screen/monitor... since it crashed, i am on another PC with a nice new monitor on it, and have not run into any headaches or twitchy eyes at all.. might have to look into buying a new screen then.

Working 8 hours a day with a pc I can say that headaches can be caused by some type of monitors, some very dark ones can cause you headaches or as brett said a low refresh rate, say 60 hz, can be the problem.
Crt monitors are pure radiation to your eyes, save money and buy a good lcd monitor, but before see if it's the monitor your problem.
Fortunately in these 5 years of programming on pc never had a bad problem, when I found a bad monitor that destroyed my eyes I switched to a better one soon.

Maurizio

Im using a laptop with a XTFT Display at 800x600 res when i mix. Its only a 14 inch display cause its one of those teeny tiny laptops so possibly thats it... But for some od reason its ONLY when i mix.

Thanks fo the ingsight :)

Da Fukn Guru

when i read off a monitor, after a while i see lines when i look away from the monitor, the height of the font that i had been reading, usually. Its a fucked up problem, lasts 5 minutes at most. Worrying.

guitarguru777 said:
Im using a laptop with a XTFT Display at 800x600 res when i mix. Its only a 14 inch display cause its one of those teeny tiny laptops so possibly thats it... But for some od reason its ONLY when i mix.

Thanks fo the ingsight :)

Da Fukn Guru

You might want to see a doctor then, it's better to be safe than sorry. Especially when your hearing is such a major part of the job!!

14", a little bit small, is'nt it?...Is the laptop screen the only lightsource in the room where you mix? If yes, turn up some more lights. If it's to dark and you're constantly staring at this little screen no wonder that you get headache.

my 2 cent