Headliner Feedback Request

I realize that the financial aspect will win out in the long run, but honestly? Go with the surprise. That's one of the things that makes PP awesome, and the show has consistently sold out in under a week no matter WHO you book. Let the bitchers bitch; if they won't come as a result, someone else will.

woosta said:
That being said, you are going to have some negative feedback if you don't pick someone very established because the Nevermore faction around here is very vocal. Fuck them (with all due respect).

Really? I'd say the anti-Nevermore faction is much more vocal - and much more likely to behave like asses.

Having said that a) or d) seem the best options, in my mind. (God/Satan knows I don't need to see Sonata Arctica again, but Symphony X and Kamelot both owned on the big stage.)

If it were me, I'd take a risk and go with a band who hasn't much coverage. Look what happened with Pagan's Mind, Brainstorm and Tad Morose. Doesn't matter who you get anyway- we'll still be there!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

First off, Glenn - I can't BELIEVE you made this post!! You are REALLY asking for it!!

I think we would all rather see someone we haven't seen before; e.g., for me, it would be Helloween or Gamma Ray. With that said, if I like a band well enough, I CANNOT FUCKING GET ENOUGH!!

I like the suggestion to start with an non-PP appearance. I'm trying not to make this a nomination-type post, but i can't help myself any longer:

ICED
FUCKING
EARTH!!

And I have seen them once with Barlow and once with Ripper - doesn't matter. If anyone can overcome the "2-4 dayz of continual partying and rocking" syndrome, it will be Jon Shafer's merry band of kick your ass minstrals!!!!

I don't think you can go wrong with a Symph X, so I have complete faith in you, Glenn - I'll be right there, I'll never leave... no - that's been done!! I'LL BE THERE NO MATTER WHAT!!

Chris
:headbang:

I think C is the best option (although probably the most difficult for you). like previous posts have said, there is already a repeat band in the headliner, and I've always thought of PP as a place where we can see bands that don't tour the US often. That also gives it that exclusivity appeal that the festival is so well known for.

Glenn,

I've been on the GB list since PP2 so I will be there no matter who you pick. Having said that though, I would prefer to see someone not readily accessible in the US. To me that is what this festival is all about - the rare opportunity to see a progmetal band at a premier facility.

Therefore I would vote for option A with a slant toward the Brainstorms or Edguys that don't tour the bulk of the US.

Good luck and thanks!!!
Bill Wrightson
Dallas, Tx

I've read some of the posts on here, and as expected there is a great mix of opinions.

Allow my bias to show through here, because I am a ProgPower n00b (last year being my first year), repeat bands would be a-okay with me (although I certainly realize the con to repeat bands for PP vets). A band like SymX or Kamelot would be my pick to do it, because I would love to see them in this setting and we already know that they will be excellent.

Choice B would be my second choice, for reasons similar to those stated, they are established headlining talent, and would please most people.

I am against choice D on all accounts. The financial risk already stated, there is also a big risk in establishing a band that could a) not be headlining material or b) against many people's tastes. There have been headline suggestions that are, in my opinion, not headlining material (especially at a fest as prestigious as this). If this is to remain the best US fest year-round, certain bands with two or less albums just won't cut the mustard (much to the chagrin of some bands' fanboys, etc.).

Having only been to PPV and VI, I'm more inclined to request option 'a', even though you mention several bands that were at PPV.

As for option 'b', I think this is a pretty good choice. I remember seeing a lot of disappointment on this forum that Gamma Ray booked so few North America shows. It seems to be the case quite often that prog/power bands don't, or can't play a lot of shows in the US. I couldn't travel easily to see Sonata Arctica on their 2005 tour, so I missed them completely (that is until this weekend in Atlanta :) The point is, I don't think too many people will be disappointed with option b.

As for option c, this is probably gonna have to be a judgement call. Personally, I would rather have a quality headliner than have the "special" feel of a band that opens their tour with Prog Power. If you can book a solid headliner that fits this category, I say do it!

I don't favor option d. Like I said, I's prefer a solid headliner.

Good Luck, Glenn.

Nate

Option B strokes me the right way, especially the last part about maybe getting a classic act. Especially if that classic act is Journey....

Seriously though I think option B has the potential to please most people here on the forum whether its Sonata, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth.... or Steve Perry.

A first.....
then B.......

There are NINE other bands on the bill not including the preparty - people will get SOME of what they are after regardless...... you can't keep everyone happy.

(I sure wouldn't mind Russell and the boys playing again!)

I would love to see Hammerfall or BG they would make it worthwhile. Plus you've got to see that the show will sell out so that's not a problem in booking a band that isn't as big. or you could bumb epica up to a headliner and get a less known band in one of the middle spots (Falconer, Lunatica, Visions of Atlantis)

Or you could perform a miricle and get Iron Maiden or Dio. I'm not saying that it would be impossible but i would love it so much if you got one of those bands.

B or C

A repeat-repeat wouldn't be that exciting to me. They rarely are after the first OMG-I've-never-seen-these-guys time. But as for all these bands who've done actual (small) US tours recently, I didn't see most of them. Because no one comes to Wisconsin, and I'm po'. I imagine I'm not the only one who missed some of these very small US debut tours, so one of those (that you mentioned) I'm sure would go over very well.

I'd be thrilled with a risky band if it was someone I was into, but as far as sales (though I'd like to think the festival sells itself, I really don't know) I'd like to see the the festival do well.

Either way, check's in the mail. ;)

Harvester said:
a. I could go the safe route and book a repeat headliner that has gone over extremely well in the past. It would be a safer route for me despite the sure bitching over it not being someone new. Obviously, I'm a refering to bands like Symphony X, Kamelot, Brainstorm, Tage (in some form), etc.

I would be fine with SyX, or Brainstorm DEFINITELY. 2 of my favorites. While just seeing Kamelot at PP5 wouldn't make that as cool as, it would be awesome to see Simone and Roy sing some songs together. That would just be too cool. I know Brainstorm was at 5 also, but they SLAYED and I think they would annihilate the place as a headliner. And Andy owes me "Arena" :Spin:

Harvester said:
b. I could go after a band that will have done some shows (some this year) in the States prior to the festival. The "special" feel will be gone, but people will know what they are getting. I refer to bands like Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, or a classic band from the 80's/90's.

I personally would LOVE to see Sonata Arctica play on a real stage. They played at a shitty club here in SF with a stage that's about 2' tall, impossible to see anything, and i'm 6'3". Gamma Ray would also kick ass since they are only doing like 4 shows in the US, Iced Earth would be cool... moreso if you could somehow get Barlow to come in... even if just for a song or 2. *cough*Nocturnal Rites*cough*. :headbang: Classic 80's/90's band would be cool depending on the band.

Harvester said:
c. I could go after a true headliner that will be touring the States this fall around the festival. It would be similar to the Stratovarius/Therion situation last fall. I cannot name anyone obviously.

Again, depending on the band I would be fine with this also. I think the main thing with bands that tour the US is they don't hit EVERY city ,that's impossible, so there will always be some people that haven't seen them.

Harvester said:
d. I could gamble and go after someone that doesn't fit any of the above options. The problem is that it is riskier from a financial standpoint because let's face it, I have already booked the sure things.

This is one of the first things I asked myself when Nevermore cancelled... what happens to the financial help from the Sponsors since they pulled out, do they automatically get funded for whomever replaces them, is it the sponsors choice, or do you completely look for new people that originally wanted to sponsor the band you possibly get?

There's very few bands I personally wouldn't want to see, but it's not necessary to comment on that here and bash someone that's already been mentioned or is a favorite of someone else. No pointing in slinging shit. You're gut choice will serve you best, it always seems to for me. Just go after who YOU would want to see.

Glenn,

I think you've already put PP to the world's attention in the past few years. A lot of bands would love to play at PP usa, but never get the chance.

It's your party and your money, so it's not the most important thing what we think will suit, but what will sell out the place...but i think an almost sell out fits fine too.

Is it necessary for a headliner to draw the most people to the festival? don't think so. For me a true headliner is the band that brings the biggest party on stage. I've seen other festivals in the past that brought a BIG name as headliner but couldn't draw my attention after two days since they couldn't rock the place down.

Even with the remaining line-up i think you will get a (nearly) sell out, so book whatever you are able to as longs as they can rock the place :headbang: .