Headphones...currently thinking of upgrading and not sure to what.

ArsMemoria

Apr 4, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
I'm preparing for my school's portfolio show this Thursday and have a couple pairs of $100ish headphones: Sennheiser HD280Pro and Sony MDR-V6. Currently trying to decide between which ones to bring along, the Sennheisers are a bit bassy and muddy to my ears, and the Sonys seem way too hyped up in the upper range. For the purposes of showing off my work, and we don't have the option of bringing studio monitors, what would you guys choose?

Also, I'm currently in a setup where mixing at home on monitors isn't viable. Currently looking at a better pair of headphones for this purpose, anyone have any ideas on some good ones until I can actually get a pair of decent monitors?

I bought recently an AKG k240 MK II. Very "honest" headphone for the price. I could not find a better option for 100$

I don't get how headphones relates to the show. Will you present your portfolio using your headphones? What is a primary purpose of your portfolio - music or sound? If music, just bring what sounds best to represent your playing.

If you're looking for a headphones for home recording/mixing, that will be tough, since everyone's preference is different, you'll find a lot of suggestions.

I have Sony MDR-V6 since yr2000, they sound as you described, but keep them just to check your mixes. When I've searched for a headphones, I have listened to many $100-250 headphones, best was closed, since guitar natural sound does not disturb when playing live thru ampsims.
Best models for me were Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro, AKG K271 MKII, they're different, my preference was toward AKG.

But finally I bought and use for few years $100 Audio Technica ATH-T500 and happy with them (for a price) - that was a huge step from Sony.

Last note: to mix with headphones you'll need a lot of time to get an experience, probably a few years.

Music & sound design. We're in a show surrounded by all of the other art majors at the school and, for some reason, they don't want the audio guys blasting their projects for everyone to check out.