Headphones

Zephyrus

Tyrants and Slaves
Jan 18, 2006
Maine or Iowa
Two questions concerning headphones.

1) The headphones I currently use are officially busted. There's no sound coming through the right ear. I attribute this to damage in the wire leading to the right ear. I tried wrapping some electrical tape around the damaged area but that only lasted a month or two, and now it just doesn't work any more. Is there any way I can more effectively rectify this, at least until I get a new pair? They are Sony MDR-V200's.

2) I'm on the market for new headphones, preferably ones I can get at a place like Best Buy or Circuit City. I'm willing to spend up to 50 bucks for a new pair, so I want some that are the best quality for the best price (obviously). And recs?

Thanks.

The ones I use, I got at Wal-mart for about 10-15 bucks. They work well for me and they have lasted a while. My other headphones would break too every once in a while like what happened to you. It's annoying.

Yeah I just wrapped some more tape around the wire and that didn't solve anything. They sell some at the campus computer store, but I think I should go to the mall and get some better quality ones to last a few years.

You could fix them by finding the defective wire and doing some soldering, if you know what you're doing...but I'd probably just buy new headphones, and not worry about repairing them.

I don't think you can really go wrong with buying a pair of headphones unless you care about specifics. I think it really depends on your personal preference like what features you're looking for, how much you are willing to spend, but also, if you can even really tell the difference in quality between headphones (I assume most people can't). If you're going to a shop, probably just best to ask them for a recommendation.

I usually tend to spend $50-80 on headphones. I wouldn't say its going overboard, but I do enjoy headphones that are of some quality and last a while, but I'm not really willing to spend a ton of money on the real, high quality stuff.

Well the campus computer store is closed today, and the bus to the mall doesn't run on Sundays. Fuck. I guess I'll have to borrow my friend's car again, but I don't want to wake him up too early.

I have a pair of Bose and they are the only headphones I can use and it's like you have a stereo and surround sound on your head.

Those are nice but you should also have a nice pair on smaller headphones walk around with if you use a cd player/ipod.

I listen to music only at my computer, in bed or in the car, so these will be fine.

In fact, I just bought them and they are wonderful.

Probably a bit late for this, but I want to toss in my $0.5

Headphone cables are nigh on impossible to repair and expensive to replace. If you're going for a new pair, get Sennheiser. And don't get Bose like one of the above posters suggested, they're classy luxury items and thus overpriced as fook.

I use these. I know it says for TV, but they work fine for music. They sound good and they're very comfortable.

If you have a Target near you, you can buy them there, otherwise I think you have to buy them online.

I use my Sony walkman's earphones, i think it cost around 70 bucks. It's a high quality earphone.

I have a pair of Grado SR60s which I'm quite happy with. They are definitely suitable for metal. I also have a bunch of Sennheiser stuff which I definitely also recommend, however I find that some of their lower budget stuff is not that great for metal. It tends to have a sound that is a bit too muddy and has too much bass. Though Sennheiser do tend to be more comfortable than the Grado (which is not deeply uncomfortable but comfort certainly isn't its standout feature either).

The Grado SR60 is around $60-$70 though so maybe that is a bit outside what you're willing to spend.

I actually don't like noise-cancelling headphones. Many headphones are generally priced a lot higher simply if they have that feature, but I find that option to be kind of useless...to me anyhow. They really don't reduce as much as they make it out to be, but what bothers me most, is that the audio doesn't sound as good with the noise-cancelling turned on.