Headway Festival 2004

I have to say that I had thought about coming to Headway (because of Watchtower and Sieges Even), but then again I have to admit that my enthusiasm for these bands has calmed down over the years, though I still listen to some of their albums every once in a while. Apart from that, I prefer concerts with only two or three bands. However, if Sieges Even are back again and plan to release even a new album, maybe there will be a chance to see them live here in Germany in the (near?) future. I would have seen them live once in October 1992 as second opening act (the first were Life Artist) for Psychotic Waltz in Essen, if their gig hadn´t been cancelled due to "personal reasons". (The gig of Sieges Even, not the entire concert!)
As for Watchtower, I was lucky to see them on their tour with co-headliner Coroner (opening act was Poltergeist) in March 1990 in Düsseldorf. I still remember that Watchtower played a cover version of Madonna´s "Like A Virgin" at this concert (changing one word in the line "touched for the very first time"). Unfortunately their sound wasn´t very good. To me, the positive surprise of this concert had been Coroner. I hadn´t heard anything by them before, but they really impressed me, so just a few days later I bought "No More Color" (and later on also their other releases). All three of them were excellent musicians and I still rank their first three releases among the best thrash metal albums until now. Together with Anacrusis, who have also been mentioned in this thread, they are definitely a band I´d like to see reunited and record a new album!

Hawk said:
Visit the Headway forum on UM and you will see that they already considered Psychotic Waltz. AS for Conception... Now *that* is the golden tip :)
... now that they have reformed :)

Headway also tries to feature an "old" band returning from the past. I have two bands on my mind:
1) Anacrusis. They were way ahead of their time.
2) Heir Apparent. Would be great seeing them in Europe again.
Both would rule (especially HH), as for newer bands how about Archetype or Lanfear?
I'm dying to see them live!

Burkhard said:
I have to say that I had thought about coming to Headway (because of Watchtower and Sieges Even), but then again I have to admit that my enthusiasm for these bands has calmed down over the years, though I still listen to some of their albums every once in a while. Apart from that, I prefer concerts with only two or three bands. However, if Sieges Even are back again and plan to release even a new album, maybe there will be a chance to see them live here in Germany in the (near?) future.
Here's hoping that you will. :) What are your favorite SE Albums?
Did you know they have a webpage with a forum?

www.siegeseven.com

Can I see you there?

Burkhard said:
I would have seen them live once in October 1992 as second opening act (the first were Life Artist) for Psychotic Waltz in Essen, if their gig hadn´t been cancelled due to "personal reasons". (The gig of Sieges Even, not the entire concert!)
That must have been a bummer!

Burkhard said:
As for Watchtower, I was lucky to see them on their tour with co-headliner Coroner (opening act was Poltergeist) in March 1990 in Düsseldorf. I still remember that Watchtower played a cover version of Madonna´s "Like A Virgin" at this concert (changing one word in the line "touched for the very first time"). Unfortunately their sound wasn´t very good.
Burkhard said:
I have yet too see Watchtower. I had to miss them at Headway :(

Burkhard said:
To me, the positive surprise of this concert had been Coroner.
:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Burkhard said:
I hadn´t heard anything by them before, but they really impressed me, so just a few days later I bought "No More Color" (and later on also their other releases). All three of them were excellent musicians and I still rank their first three releases among the best thrash metal albums until now. Together with Anacrusis, who have also been mentioned in this thread, they are definitely a band I´d like to see reunited and record a new album!
Me too! Both bands were great! I wish I had seen Anacrusis live once. That would RULE!!

You do know Anacrusis have an official webpage were you can download all their albums/demo's and even some live stuff???

Check it out!

http://apogee.whack.org/~ken/anacrusis media/anac_MP3.htm

See you around Burkhard!!

Hawk said:
Biomechanical: Pretty fast and complex structured metal. The singer is a cross between Geoff Tate [in his good years] and Phil Anselmo [in his good years :)]

Hear and see them here: http://www.biomechanical.co.uk/music.swf

Watchtower: Wow! Rush on speed!!! Multiply Rush with itself and you have Watchtower! More crazy breaks per minute and faster too. Tech-metal at it's best.

Their site is here: http://www.marathoncd.com/watchtower/
UM Forum here: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103

Sieges Even: I do not even know where to begin. First; they made my all time favorite album. Second; it's the only album they made that is not metal :) The album is called A Sense of Change the singer Jogi Kaiser, is great! His sound is operatic but not in a power metal way.

Go here ti hear on of the songs: http://www.siegeseven.com/start.htm

I'll check them out sometime this week. It sounds interesting and I do love prog, but mostly melodic prog like Vanden Plas, Pagans Mind etc. I am wary of Technical metal though. I saw Spiral Architecht and it sounded like each band member was playing a different song. The band was really nice to their fans and all, but I thought they sounded like shit. I enjoy technical stuff, but there is a limit to that where it loses it's melody and cohesiveness as a "song" and turns to noise. I'm not saying that will be the case for these bands, but just thought I would let you know how I feel about "technical metal" when it is taken to the extreme like Spiral Architect takes it.

Bryant

Bryant said:
I'll check them out sometime this week. It sounds interesting and I do love prog, but mostly melodic prog like Vanden Plas, Pagans Mind etc. I am wary of Technical metal though. I saw Spiral Architecht and it sounded like each band member was playing a different song. The band was really nice to their fans and all, but I thought they sounded like shit. I enjoy technical stuff, but there is a limit to that where it loses it's melody and cohesiveness as a "song" and turns to noise. I'm not saying that will be the case for these bands, but just thought I would let you know how I feel about "technical metal" when it is taken to the extreme like Spiral Architect takes it.
Bryant

Well, since you don't like tech-metal, my advice is to focus on Sieges Even in particulair their "A Sense of Change" album. You'll be surprised! It is technical but not in an "in your face" way. You could hear their songs and not notice they were technical. I am looking forward to hearing what you think of them.

Fangface said:
... now that they have reformed :)

Both would rule (especially HH), as for newer bands how about Archetype or Lanfear?
I'm dying to see them live!
To avoid all misunderstandings; I decide NOTHING when it comes to any festival on this planet.

All I did was post a request for a band when the suggestions deadline was near. ANYONE can do that on the Headway Festival forum right here:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=220

So go right ahead! :) :headbang:

Hawk said:
Here's hoping that you will. :) What are your favorite SE Albums?
Did you know they have a webpage with a forum?

www.siegeseven.com

Can I see you there?
I already found their webpage and their forum, I think it was through a link in one of the threads of the "Headway Festival"-forum on U.M. However, I´m not a forum member there and I don´t think I´ll become one. I mean, as I already said, my enthusiasm for Sieges Even has calmed down over the years, but we can see each other also here, can´t we?

As for my favourite SE albums, I think that´s nearly impossible to say. I mean, I totally agree with you that Franz Herde definitely was not what one would consider a "vocal god" :)grin: ), but I think the first two albums are nevertheless the ones to which I´ve listened most. As I started keeping track of how often I listen to my albums way back in 1988, I could even give you the exact number - just in case you should like to know. (Finally some statistics I know I can rely on, haha!) I think all I can say is that probably "Uneven" is my least favourite album, but this may also just be because I haven´t listened often enough to it. As for the other four albums, it´s a draw for me as far as the music is concerned, because I like the different musical directions on these albums all the same. (It´s like if you asked me about my favourite Voivod album: it would also be a draw - between "Killing Technology", "Dimension Hatröss" and "Nothingface". One day I prefer the "thrashy" side of the first, one day the more "progressive" approach of the latter and one day the mixture of both on "D.H.".) However,I do agree with you that the vocals on the last three SE albums are definitely much better than on their first two albums!

You do know Anacrusis have an official webpage were you can download all their albums/demo's and even some live stuff???

Check it out!
I didn´t know, but I´ll check it out. I already do have all their albums (the first one on vinyl, the other three on CD), but maybe there´s also something interesting among the demo and live stuff. (I haven´t seen them live either.)

See you around, too, Hawk!

Hawk said:
To avoid all misunderstandings; I decide NOTHING when it comes to any festival on this planet.

All I did was post a request for a band when the suggestions deadline was near. ANYONE can do that on the Headway Festival forum right here:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=220

So go right ahead! :) :headbang:

dont worry hawk,i didnt assume you were some kind of major league european festival promoter :D
but i'd still like to send you some stuff on us if your interested,and any help or suggestions is appreciated,even just your own take on the stuff.you are after all,as they would say in japan"honowable and lerned elder" :worship: :D

btw,any chance you could have a word about the ozzfest for us this year-just kiddin!!!!!!!!!!!

baldyboy said:
dont worry hawk,i didnt assume you were some kind of major league european festival promoter :D
but i'd still like to send you some stuff on us if your interested,and any help or suggestions is appreciated,even just your own take on the stuff.you are after all,as they would say in japan"honowable and lerned elder" :worship: :D

btw,any chance you could have a word about the ozzfest for us this year-just kiddin!!!!!!!!!!!
/me phones Sharon...:p

Hawk said:
She say's hello and ask's if you guy's can downtune your guitars a bit more. She also made some suggestions about much more piercing here and there :lol:

she can kiss my hairy ass before i pierce my here and there! :D

nice try for us hawk,thats more than our record company has done in the last 3 months!lol :p

Bryant said:
Have you already tried Psychotic Waltz, Fates Warning and Shadow Gallery?