Heaven and Hell...

I saw 'em in Albany, NY.
Geezer and Vinnie were merely passable.
I saw Geezer when GZR was touring with Dickinson and he was better there.
Vinne has never been more than passable.
Dio has used his "dark 'n scary" voice too much and thereby screwed his screams and dynamics in general. He was better on the Angry Machines tour.
Tony (although when he shredded was the best guitar of the night) was screwing up and GIGGLING.
Don't know what to say.
Love those three albums.
Sometimes the strength of the songs carried it but...

It was good but it was bad.

Did you see the same show I did? :lol: Apart from Down (who were just as awful as I expected) I had an absolute blast. Would have been nice to hear The Devil Cried or Ear In The Wall rather than Shadow Of The Wind, but that was my only real gripe. Nice to hear Computer God, which has always been one of my favourite tracks from Dehumanizer.

Vinny Appice has never impressed me much on record (compared with other Sabs drummers), but he's a monster live. Similarly, the studio version of Voodoo is a bit slow and plodding, but hearing it in concert has made the song a lot more interesting for me.

Glad you were able to go, Priest, even if it wasn't everything you expected. I hope this means your son is recovering?

Thebby Theatre have officially redeemed themselves after the Alice Cooper debacle of 2005. This time I had no access or visibility problems whatsoever, I didn't have to bring my wheelchair (always a relief!) and the staff were all very helpful :headbang:.

W

Did you see the same show I did? :lol: Apart from Down (who were just as awful as I expected) I had an absolute blast. Would have been nice to hear The Devil Cried or Ear In The Wall rather than Shadow Of The Wind, but that was my only real gripe. Nice to hear Computer God, which has always been one of my favourite tracks from Dehumanizer.

Vinny Appice has never impressed me much on record (compared with other Sabs drummers), but he's a monster live. Similarly, the studio version of Voodoo is a bit slow and plodding, but hearing it in concert has made the song a lot more interesting for me.

Glad you were able to go, Priest, even if it wasn't everything you expected. I hope this means your son is recovering?

W
Yes, I think so but my wife's getting ill now, I think I'm still in the clear hard to tell though with the mighty hangover I'm dealing with and a rather sore neck:lol:

Loved the stage set up with the wall and fences and the stonewall backdrop. It really was aweseome seeing Dio live too :worship: I hope he comes back and does a solo tour, there were stacks of Dio t-shirts in the place.

I did enjoy the show but I was surprised (like you) that certain songs didnt make it. I didnt enjoy the guitar solo much but that could've been because I was busy trying to headbang my way to the front row and its hard to do that when there's a guitar solo goin off, hehe.

It's the name the awesome people of Brisbane give the Exhibition show holiday. I've never been. We get a day off on the last Wednesday because it's "people's day". Unfortunately it's the last public holiday we get before Christmas (and it's only in Brisbane, not the rest of Queensland - although as a kid living in Ipswich we would get the day off as well).

OK, let me put everyone's minds at rest about the show, I totally agree with Wrathy - it was fucking AWESOME!

Dio was in fine form, everyone had a solo spot that was great (people really underestimate just how good these guys are as musicians because they're overshadowed by the Black Sabbath legacy), the light show was great, as was the stage set.

I give it a big thumbs up! :)

Yes, only Dio era material was featured but when he originally joined Sabbath (for the first time) they did used to play the Ozzy stuff, thats why I posted an old setlist on the first page of this thread ;)

The tour went under the name Heaven & Hell and there was no actual Black Sabbath TM material for sale. Even the t-shirts just said Heaven & Hell, no mention of Black Sabbath, Ozzy would’ve sued their pants off, I imagine.

I’m still in shock that I saw Dio live, with the guys he played with in Sabbath but now I want him back on his own. Bring on the Holy Diver! :headbang:

I may be wrong, but didnt Dio only sing on 3 or so Sabbath albums? So did they only play songs from those albums or did they play songs from Dio the bands as well?

i was going to go, but a friend said they werent likely to play ozzy material, which is all i really like, so i am glad I didnt go. I just wanna hear Iron Man and Children of the grave haha