Heavy "commercial" Metal ??

carnut

\m/
Apr 29, 2004
Helgium
Hawk let me hear the Vinnie Vincent Invasion record yesterday and we talked a bit about "commercial" style metal that still has a very hard and pounding sound, in fact making it not that commercial at all...So, I my opinion VV-Invasion is like that. Hawk also let me listen to some old Kick Axe, which is pretty cool too. Other ones I can come up with were Prophet (7 cycles of the moon) and the allmighty (early) Twisted Sister...But there must be a lot of bands like that, you know them ????

Commercial metal. Hmm, depends on the vision of commercial, for me most glam bands were/are commercial since they had much more media display than any other subgenre.

I may suggest some names of bands that are more AOR oriented and thus more commercial IMO:

Ring Of Fire
Tobruk
Axe
Warrior (first album)
Hawk

I would say Def Leppard's 'Pyromania' was heavy at the time but very commercially succesful.
The first couple WASP albums too. Priest's 'Screaming for Vengence' was big as well. The Crue's 'Shout at the Devil'. I don't know??? All those were successful, but I don't think they set out to make a commercial record at the time.

The problem is most of them tried to write a commercial record after that.
Priest - Turbo
DL - Hysteria
Crue - Theatre of Pain
Once they tasted the money and fame they wanted more IMO. By the way I like Turbo and TOP. :D

All three Slipknot records were commercially successful. Are we talking about once-heavy bands that "sold out" and purposely adjusted their sound to be MTV and radio-friendly or heavy stuff that made big $$ in sales?? Just trying to understand the statement/question..............

ZoMb!M@N said:
All three Slipknot records were commercially successful. Are we talking about once-heavy bands that "sold out" and purposely adjusted their sound to be MTV and radio-friendly or heavy stuff that made big $$ in sales?? Just trying to understand the statement/question..............
Talking about Metal here, not slipknot :yuk: ...I ment bannds that have a clearly commercial influence (mostly Glam-metal-ish if you look at the 80's), but still sound very heavy...

They still sometimes play Alice's Poison on radio 'round here, I remember when that came out people who gave me shit for listening to metal baught it. And Trash is a pretty heavy album, crappy but heavy.

First I'd like to say HELL YEAH to the mighty KMAAD, who mentioned SUMMERTIME GIRLS by Y&T!!!!!!!!! You, sir, are one great American, and I don't care if you're a Hoosier or not! haha

SECONDLY...Commercial Metal...when I think of commercial metal I think primarily of bands that preppy girls were into in highschool. (not saying I didn't like 'em, but you cannot lump King Diamond into this niche, for example.) Bands like:

POISON
WARRANT
MOTLEY
TRIXTER
DEF LEPPARD
BON JOVI

and so many more...but honestly, WHO went to high school in 88 and didn't see all the girls in dexter's with the occasional POISON scrawling on their notebook?? My wife is a perfect example of this...she HATED metal....but loved Def Leppard, Poison, and Bon Jovi. Who else did she like? NEW KIDS....

Its hard to answer because "Commercial" isn't a clear definition really...

I mean, in general, there were more "hair bands" that were commercial than "heavy metal" bands so it is easy to call hair bands commercial... but for example, Iron Maiden are a more commercial band than say, Spread Eagle or Trixter or even Treat, even though Treat have such a light, pop-metal based sound, they weren't a big band, with barely any exposure, therefore not commercial. Because Iron Maiden WERE a big band playing to mass audiences, with hit videos on MTV and top 10 singles, and Trixter and Spread Eagle weren't....

There are bands obviously like Poison, Crue, Warrant, Def Leppard, KISS, Bon Jovi etc who were huge and all over MTV, but you have to remember that the hair/glam scene was saturated with bands and most of them never made it out of Sunset Strip and are only hunted down by collectors and fanatics of sleaze & glam music, so they aren't really commercial...

I think there is a general feeling that all the hard rock/metal that is either lighter, glammier, sleazier, flashier, or less "metal" than the true metal bands, is more commercial... but when you define the word "commercial", that's not always the case. You can have commercial hits with any genre of music, be it heavy metal or light rock, and you can have non-commercial underground music in any genre, be it heavy metal or light rock as well. Some bands just prefer to write super melodic, catchy, keyboard soaked rock instead of heavy metal, not because it is more popular, but because they prefer that (as I do)...

Rant over though... some "hair bands" I would recommend who are alot heavier or more rockin & nasty than most of the popular MTV ones, would be:

- Spread Eagle
- Keel
- Roxx Gang
- Kix
- Ratt
- Shotgun Messiah

Etc..

Trixxi Trash said:
Its hard to answer because "Commercial" isn't a clear definition really...

I mean, in general, there were more "hair bands" that were commercial than "heavy metal" bands so it is easy to call hair bands commercial... but for example, Iron Maiden are a more commercial band than say, Spread Eagle or Trixter or even Treat, even though Treat have such a light, pop-metal based sound, they weren't a big band, with barely any exposure, therefore not commercial. Because Iron Maiden WERE a big band playing to mass audiences, with hit videos on MTV and top 10 singles, and Trixter and Spread Eagle weren't....

There are bands obviously like Poison, Crue, Warrant, Def Leppard, KISS, Bon Jovi etc who were huge and all over MTV, but you have to remember that the hair/glam scene was saturated with bands and most of them never made it out of Sunset Strip and are only hunted down by collectors and fanatics of sleaze & glam music, so they aren't really commercial...

I think there is a general feeling that all the hard rock/metal that is either lighter, glammier, sleazier, flashier, or less "metal" than the true metal bands, is more commercial... but when you define the word "commercial", that's not always the case. You can have commercial hits with any genre of music, be it heavy metal or light rock, and you can have non-commercial underground music in any genre, be it heavy metal or light rock as well. Some bands just prefer to write super melodic, catchy, keyboard soaked rock instead of heavy metal, not because it is more popular, but because they prefer that (as I do)...

Rant over though... some "hair bands" I would recommend who are alot heavier or more rockin & nasty than most of the popular MTV ones, would be:

- Spread Eagle
- Keel
- Roxx Gang
- Kix
- Ratt
- Shotgun Messiah

Etc..

Thanks Trixx I was hoping you would show up. Nice to "see" you again. I hope everything is alright Down Under.! :)

Take care buddy! :wave:

Majesty said:
Metallica
Slayer
Exodus
Lääz Rockit

Although I´m guessing my definition of commercial is stricter than yours

Majesty

We are talking about the thin line between so called 80s hairbands that are able to play a mean and heavy style of metal.

As old schoolers we know the bands you mentioned. Many of us have seen them live more then 5 or 6 times. Some of us even in the 80s

Hawk said:
Majesty

We are talking about the thin line between so called 80s hairbands that are able to play a mean and heavy style of metal.

As old schoolers we know the bands you mentioned. Many of us have seen them live more then 5 or 6 times. Some of us even in the 80s

Well,the thrashers had long hair too :p