Heavy Metal: Music or Image?

The Winnipeg Warrior said:
.....to quickly add: WASP were another band that blended great music, a traditional Classic Heavy Metal image.....and a fairly over-the-top stage show.

Now, personally speaking.....and it may have been the times.....those were some pretty good shows. Because seeing them here a few months ago in a much smaller venue than in the 1980's.....the musical integrity was still there. But that larger-than-life stage prescence was missing. And I think part of that was the fact that much of the spectacle was lacking.

More than anything, Metal is a live medium. No matter how great the recorded product is, the live show is what draws the fans. I don't think anyone can question that fact.

Really, this form of musical expression didn't hit it's true commercial wave until the early '80's. By then, you had some veteran bands that had honed their skills and were already playing to large houses. Newer bands like Ratt, Dokken, Great White, Crue, were just starting to gain some credibility in the local LA club scene. The European market was just as healthy with the likes of newcomers Venom, Tokyo Blade, Tygers of Pan Tang, Raven, Grim Reaper, Mercyful Fate.....far too many to name.

But from what I remember.....each band had a distinct image that was associated with their music. That evolved as the band matured. But yet.....image was and continued to be associated with the band as a marketing tool (not ploy) to sell albums, Hit Parader and Circus magazines, and concert tickets and merchandise.

Because in those days, everyone was watching what KISS did. The music sold the album. Which sold the concert tickets and t-shirts. Which sold the beer and more merchandise at the venue.

Other than a few bands nowadays that fall into the Metal genre.....I don't really see this going on anymore.....especially not at the level of some of the veteran bands like Priest, Maiden, KISS.....who have always done this. Then again, the average age at these gigs are 30 and up. Essentially, an older band playing for an older and more affluent crowd.

To a degree, this is true.
However, bands such as Metallica and Megadeth (and later Pearl Jam and the grunge bands) really kill this premise. Their success was in spite of image/looks. Their success was driven by the music and the music alone. Of course, as time passes, a lack of a 'look', ironically, becomes a 'look/image' unto itself.

Bands such as Poison, etc., absolutely relied on image to sell product. Sure, there was a modicum of songwriting skill, but had Poison been dressed like Metallica, circa 1984, I doubt they'd have sold many records.

year 2000= streamlined businesses, less staff, budget cuts, easy access to information, playstation and inhouse entertainment, highly selective individuals and apathy.

A few vital points:

1)Less people are going to metal shows so bands cant afford elaborate stage shows.

2)Internet availability: albums are downloaded resulting in less sales for bands so less financed tours from labels.

3)Alot of people just dont care - apathy - they are comfortable in their homes playing their xbox listening to downloaded music. Music is just another form of entertainment, its easy to find, there's thousands of bands, pick and choose, most mp3s dont come with pictures!

4)People are increasingly picky about what they choose, most can find exactly what they are looking for so why go to a show that isnt a dream come true. See point 1

In defence of glam bands, generally they wrote simple music but in most cases there was nothing wrong with the musicianship behind it. Bands that dont have talent will never go far, maybe they'll release an album or 2 but eventually they will meet their fate. I'm sure people bought thrash albums because the bands looked "streetwise" played fast and had cool album covers, what is the difference? Plenty of bland thrash bands existed in their day too. Its just personal choice. Just trying to put things in perspective people...

I like to see a good all round show that's why i watch my old W.A.S.P. Twisted Sister, Dio and even early Sodom videos (with their huge album covers) because they put on a damn interesting show. Whereas my death thrash vids tends to gather dust. However all my CDs get decent rotation but i think at the end of the day any individual will listen to their albums or ipods more times then they will see a band live.

Oh and living in Australia, i missed most of the great stage shows at the peak of popularity but it was great to know bands where going to such lengths to entertain their fans.
I too miss those days back when metal was a spectacle.

As far as fashion and the "metal look" goes, its possibly got something to do with the lack of spectacle, or dressing to relate. There is no longer a driving need for unity and mass recognition with the individualism of ones self (which in itself is a good thing). I dunno, Im not a kid anymore so I dont understand what they are thinking but 20 yrs on I still (thankfully) have long hair and wear my patches and tight denim at shows but these days the kids rarely even bang their heads, where is their passion and energy, is jumping up and down on the spot that much fun:confused:

Priest of Evil said:
20 yrs on I still (thankfully) have long hair and wear my patches and tight denim at shows but these days the kids rarely even bang their heads, where is their passion and energy, is jumping up and down on the spot that much fun:confused:

Not just that they don't bang anymore, but they do moshpits on Blind Guardian or even Candlemass (!!!) o_O
I was really disgusted to see that, not to mention the obnoxious retards that are too busy drinking beer and after the band starts they try to push their way through the crowd to the front row, because they are "the biggest fans of all". :yuk: Then they usually don't succeed in their intent and for the rest of the show they don't enjoy music, but stubbornly persist to fight through to the front row...

I'd have them all shot, if you ask me, or at least banned for life to metal shows... :yell:

SickBoy said:
Not just that they don't bang anymore, but they do moshpits on Blind Guardian or even Candlemass (!!!) o_O

That pisses me off, I know that even S.O.D joked about it but what was wrong with some fist banging? When kicking and hurting people become the way of enjoying the music?

I remember my first concert in USA. I was there in the front of our zone (it was an ampitheatre), and suddenly I'm along two ladies and a guy just waving to Scorpions, we don't know each other but we were bound my music, singing along and smiling to each other. Would I had enjoyed more by kicking someone? :err:

Many, many years ago I was on an underground DM concert, as much as the atmosphere was chraged most people was just slam dancing on a side, or just headbanging on the other side. A guy (later I found was the loser vocalist of a band) was slamming through everybody time and again. Finally somebody lost it's temper and turn moshing into meatgrinding with the guy, the bouncers came and had to stop the whole affair, even the band playing had to stop and call for order. Would they have enjoyed more just by listening to the music? :Smug:

NP: Vintersorg - 'The Thesises Seasons'